The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That's fucking sick.

2. jetemp

jetemp New Member

Geno Smith can be a good starting NFL qb. But I think that'd have to be on a team that had a halfway decent Oline. He may be fast but he isn't really that good at avoiding the rush. He's not Russell Wilson or Roethlisberger.

With a good line, with a team that actually put some money into the offense, Geno could put up big numbers and be a top ten QB. But he's not a good fit for a Rex Ryan offense.

Actually Manziel would be pretty good for a team like this.

3. dannymac910

dannymac910 Member

Makes me wonder where we'd be at if we took Russell Wilson in the 2nd last year. He's so well spoken it makes me think he could've turned this circus around. Also a plus that ESPN rides his jock every week. Would've taken lots of media pressure off of us. Is it bad that Wilson is better with the media than Rex?

4. Tom

Tom Member

Do you really think if Russell Wilson was a Jet, the media would still love him? Hell no.

5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

No, that was the only game we had a OL WRs TE a OC an Geno wasn't just a rookie

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Falcons best pass-rusher is Osi lmao you kidding? That Falcons defense is BAD, not to mention we dominated them with our defensive line.

Falcons suck and that's not even debatable.

I put no stock into that game what-so-ever.

7. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I seem to remember another great Jet QB who had a big game in Atlanta, who was also a 2nd round waste, browning naegle?

8. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Right now this team is very hard to watch and offers very little to be excited about..

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I have two questions:

1.Who is ready to completely give up on Geno Smith altogether? I don't mean just this season, I mean based on this slump you never want to give him another chance.

2. Does anyone believe that last years rookie stars or next years candidates would do a better job in the exact same circumstances?

just curious. I'll say my answers are no and probably not.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm not completely giving up on Geno because I think he can be a good QB. But I feel that he needs to sit and watch for a year behind a vet QB. Lets get some weapons, add depth to the oline and then reevaluate him in a few yeas.

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I gave up on him - 2nd round reach that is ruined beyond repair. I think a paper bag would do a better job. This isn't about players around him this is about his ability to do anything within the offense sine the atlanta game. Accuracy has gone to hell, can't read defenses, can't throw a deep ball, can't throw a screen, can't throw a slant, can't run, can't throw an out, has no pocket awareness....sucks.

12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

agreed, While at the beginning of these season i was more ready to see him play this year and get as many reps as possible I think a stable veteran option to take the reigns from him for next year is the best thing for him and the team.

and of course building a solid team around him should help matters greatly.

respectfully disagree obviously, especially considering I recall him doing everything you mentioned he can't do at one point or another. Its hard to explain why he's lost his ability to do any of those things since the bye week but he has the capacity for sure, it just seems like opponents found his number and now he has to push through without anything to aid him.

even under my most pessimistic view of Smith it seems unreasonable to see his rookie year as a be all end all for how he will play for the remainder of his career. thats never true with any player in my opinion.

and wait I'm pretty sure he played well vs the Pats at home, whats with the revisionist history there? he's had enough bad games that balling together a decent game with the bad seems unnecessary.

13. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

He has played 11 games - in 9 of them he has multiple turnovers and in the 10th he was pulled at the half. Not one of the interceptions he has thrown required an amazing defensive play or a tipped ball - they were just thrown to the defense. He is missing that component that screams NFL QB. He is unable to read defenses, has sloppy footwork, an incredibly slow release, stares down his main receiver, never goes through a progression. He was good at throwing a 20 yard crossing route to a wide open receiver and even that went bad on Sunday. He played one solid game in Atlanta and has had minimal bright spots aside from that. He hasn't even attempted a deep ball since the Pittsburgh game. The guy is like a fighter that is punch drunk...he just seems to play scared now and you can't a have a QB playing scared.

14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Whether Geno is or isn't the starting QB next year, the team has to get better talent and depth at the receiver positions. CoughMaclincough. This is just unwatchable.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Interesting news on the QB of the future front:

LSU senior QB Zach Mettenberger suffered a torn ACL against Arkansas and will miss the school's bowl game.

Mettenberger took a low hit in the team's win over the Razorbacks and could not finish the contest. The senior really started to emerge last season against Alabama and continued that development this year. He will not be healthy enough to attend the Senior Bowl. We expect Mettenberger to be a third day pick after this news.

If we want to focus our draft on getting better weapons and blocking for our quarterbacks in the future we could use one of our third rounders on this guy. I don't know if he would have gone in round one if healthy but he could give us another shot at a franchise QB on the cheap.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Given up on Smith? Imo that's not the proper way to pose the question. I cannot rule out now that Smith coudl really benefit from some work in the coming off season that could turn his play around. How much could it turn around? Into quality backup territory? Maybe. Into quality NFL level starting Qb territory? Less likely, but not impossible.

The REAL question should be is there any good reason right now for the Jets to think they need not look further than Smith for their starting Qb going forward?

And the answer to that is of course not.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Kiper was on Mike & Mike this am discussing the injury an how it will hurt his draft stock. Said he had him rated as a late first rounder, possibly slipping into the 2nd, but the injurty has knocked him back a round so now he's projecting him as a late 2nd or early third. Said teams could treat next year like his redshirt freshman year.

McShay was on yesterday and said the injury wouldn't hurt Mettenberger too much. Said he's not a mobile guy anyway, teams weren't looking at him in that vein. Was probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder and that's where he'll still probably go. Unfortunate that he won't play in the bowl game, but the mental stuff is what folks are going to concentrate on.

_

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Where Idzik messed up was in not acquiring a decent veteran QB. (Garrard pickup was a joke) Geno shouldn't have been starting this year. Obviously he wouldn't have been able to forecast the Sanchez injury, but going into camp the three QBs in real competition should've been:

-The damaged Goods (Sanchez)
    -The reliable, but limited vet (Jason Campbell? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Matt Cassel?)
    -The Rookie (Geno)

We'd have a much different opinion and brighter future with Geno if, even after the Sanchez injury, he was sitting and learning from say a Jason Campbell right now or something right now. (We probably have the same record and people would be calling for Smith the last 4 games - and that's fine) Simms? he'd be on someone's practice squad if lucky....

As it was in the competition between just Geno and Sanchez - I have no problem with how that was handled or anything, but there should've been an emergency plan in place. Signing a guy who was injury prone in his prime and hadn't played in 2 years was a terrible emergency plan....

As a result we've seen this organization completely botch decision-making at the most important position on the field, 2 years in a row, and that is truly unacceptable.

Now- I don't think Geno is ruined, he's shown flashes, but he definitely has to improve and this team cannot mess up the QB position next year. If that means going all in on someone completely new, then by all means, but there needs to be some stability.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with the scenario was Sanchez. And Garrard. And Matt Simms. It was kind of a clusterfuck all around because none of the above should have been on the roster going into training camp and only one of them wasn't.

This is what I *think* happened. It's just an opinion but I think it has a logical basis.

I think the Jets signed Garrard not knowing if they were going to pick a QB up high in the NFL draft. They signed him to give them some cover going into the draft so that teams wouldn't be able to look at them at a given slot and assume a QB there if one was in the vicinity. I don't think the Jets ever thought Garrard was any kind of lock to make it to camp let alone get through it. They paid $100k to do this, which is the amount of Garrard's signing bonus and peanuts against the cap - even a constricted one.

Then the Jets got into the draft and were probably looking at taking a QB in the 3rd or 4th round, somewhere in that cloud of QB's who dropped and were taken by various teams. Geno Smith started dropping and by the 39 pick he was value on the pick and the Jets took him. It wasn't a bad decision at all. Most QB's taken in the mid-second round are going to be backup QB's in the NFL. The Jets had an opening for a long-term backup QB and Geno had some upside as well if things went right. The Jets certainly didn't think that the guy they were likely getting in the 3rd or 4th round was guaranteed to be anything more than a young guy to hold the clipboard for them.

Then Garrard retired with the swelling knee 3 weeks later. It was an early conclusion to a scenario that the Jets probably thought would linger at least until training camp. But it had real ramifications.

The Jets probably had intended camp to be a competition with Garrard battling Geno and Greg McElroy for the QB position. Matt Simms was kind of an afterthought in this whole process. They probably had intended to release Mark Sanchez after June 1st and really turn the page. 2013 was going to be about developing Geno Smith, likely slowly, and hoping they got lucky with Garrard and had him for the whole season. McElroy would have been third QB in that situation most likely and Simms likely on the practice squad or cut.

However with Garrard out the Jets couldn't cut Sanchez after June 1st. They couldn't go into camp with just Geno Smith, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms on the roster. They might come out of camp with that configuration but going into camp with it would be irresponsible.

So the Jets start training camp with Sanchez as "the incumbent", not the starter, the incumbent, and they are in pray Geno is good mode from the get-go. They really don't want to start Sanchez this year because he's just toxic with Jets fans after a long stretch of futile play. The first game is at home and the Jets definitely don't want the team to come out of the tunnel for the season opener and listen to boos at any point during the process. Sanchez has gotten booed at Knicks games during the off-season and there's no reason to believe that Jets fans will be any more forgiving than NY fans as a whole.

Things go from bad to worse for the Jets because Geno is clearly not ready to go yet. Sanchez on the other hand is wearing the headband and doing whatever he can to promote his image, which is understandable if a bit stupid insofar as the headband makes him look like a girl and lots of Jets fans already kind of had that impression of him.

The camp competition is kind of scrubby with both players doing positive things and negative things and oddly mirroring each other. When one has a good day the other has a good day when one has a bad day, well the other is having a bad day. They're doing whatever they can to not create separation between them. And it's killing the decision makers above them because they're going to have to make a bad choice somewhere down the line.

They can't go get another veteran QB at this point because that would create a riot in the media with both Sanchez and Geno being seen as pressured by the move and instability the most likely result. Even then the guy they brought in at that late stage would not clearly be an improvement over either of them.

So they suffered with the status quo and kept rotating 1st team and 2nd team reps and hoping that somebody would step up and take the job. They were dreading Sanchez taking the job but if he'd grabbed it they would have gritted their teeth and lived through it.

And finally just before the first pre-season game it looked like Sanchez had gotten a bit of a lead on the rookie. He was always going to get the start but I'm sure Rex was hoping that he'd do something positive with it.

And then he threw a pick-6 on the first series to a rookie defensive lineman. This was like the Essence of Sanchez shining through and the fact that he did it at his first opportunity basically just closed a lot of doors for the Jets.

Geno got a few reps in later in the game and sprained his ankle in the process.

Greg McElroy got hurt.

That's the nightmare scenario. Every QB they have on the roster at that point is a huge question mark moving forward and there's no doubt that Sanchez is not over his oopsies yet which is a PR nightmare for the team.

That's why we are where we are today.

Could the Jets have done things differently and gotten to a different scenario in the off-season? I don't see anyway things go well this year once Garrard exits the picture.

Getting Alex Smith would have been like adding Neil O'Donnell to the 1996 Jets, minus Keyshawn Johnson, Wayne Chrebet and Richie Anderson. That's not going to work out.

Who else makes this team better? It's not like the NFL world was swimming in loose QB's last year.

The one move that I think was an error in retrospect was not just releasing Mark Sanchez after June 1st and going after a replacement vet to fill the slot for camp. The Sanchez dynamic in the competition was always unstable and it produced a lot of little splits around the main question the Jets had going into camp.

#6459 Br4d, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  20. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

Brady Quinn was missing from this formula. But I agree that they should have aquired a better backup plan. Green Bay is a perfect example of no backup plan.