Stephen Hill: Milk Carton Status

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CurbYourEnthusiasm, Oct 28, 2013.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

And its amazing how a guy like Alshon Jeffrey with a proven track record in such a tough college football conference as the SEC was graded lower by the scouting department or Mike T.

Rex Ryan has run away from this draft pick faster than Carl Lewis. He went on the record that Hill was not "his" pick. At the same time, deductive reasoning would lead one to believe that he had a heavy hand in all the other beauties besides this one.

Blow it up.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The simple solution to not taking athletes as projects is to use the Combine as a knockout event instead of a promotional event.

You've already got a ton of tape on everybody who is going to be there. You've got a feel for what they can do. Nothing that they can do in their skivvies should raise your opinion of them. If they have a bad combine and apparently can't do some of the things they need to do, like run fast or get their hands on the opponent consistently before the opponent does that to them then you bump them down.

Just don't raise anybody up on a pedestal based on a few days in their underwear. They're never going to get the chance to play in their underwear with nobody laying hands on them (I know that sounded wrong) in the NFL, so why evaluate them seriously under those conditions?

3. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Geno smith has thrown 29 completions IN THE ENTIRE MONTH OF NOVEMBER, only 5 of those have been longer then 20+ yards. To compare, Peyton manning threw 22 completions on Sunday, and 7 of those went for 20+ yards. We have the worst starting QB in the league, Again.

Stephen Hill is in year #2 as an EXTREMELY raw WR who's had nothing but 2nd ( 3rd ) string QBs throwing to him. He's been getting steps on his men just to see the QB throw a pick or get sacked.

Simms interception on Sunday, Had he thrown it up in the air and let the 6'4" Hill battle the 5'10" Brent Grimes one on one, I'd say that's a shot at a TD. ( normally i'd say that's a no brainer but you'll all say he'd just drop it ). What does Simms do? He throws a bullet to the ground where no one but the defender can get it.

I don't know how many times I've seen Hill get one or 2 steps on his man with zero coverage and we not take the shot. We know he's not a possession receiver at this point but that doesn't mean we can't use his speed.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I seen Jeffery make a tough contested TD catch over 2 defenders. None of our receivers including Hill seems to be able to make those tough catches with DB's draped all over them. Hill is a bum and I wouldn't give a shit if they cut him after this season.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

this is a good observation and overlooked one.

there are several NFL receivers that are tough as nails - will out muscle a DB or 2 - and go get the F in ball.

in this pass happy league it is imperative u have at least one of these guys on the field - now of course they dont grow on trees but u HAVE to invest in these guys if u want any prayer on offense.

go ask both mannings, stafford, rothlesberger, ryan, etc etc - they know if they can get the ball into that 6 x 6 window, regardless of how tight the coverage is, they have a great shot at a completion.

6. Ajitator

The difference is those QBs have the balls and ability to know where / when to throw that ball. With the way Smith has been playing they never give any of our WRs a shot. Even the balls thrown to our RBs are hard to catch bullets or floated so high a LB has all day to get there and blow up the play. Seems that one one under center knows how to put touch on any kind of throw...

The real question here should be, How does David Lee still have a job?

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Oh please, get out of here with this bull shit. Stephen Hill is about as effective as Geno is at the QB position. The reason why Simms didnt throw the ball up to Hill? Becuase he cant win a jump ball for his life. There's a reason why we have NEVER thrown a jump ball or a fade to the 6'4 WR with a 40 inch vert; its because he cant fucking high point the ball. He might as well be 5'10. He cant use his length to his advantage.

And he looks like an uncoordinated baby dear that was just born when he tries to run. He has no fluidity to him, which is the prime reason why he cant create separation in and out of breaks- he has no suddenness. I could watch one game on Hill and see that he is never going to make it in the NFL. Its sad that our "scouting" department couldnt.

Stephen Hill draft comparison video:

[YOUTUBE]DVt6VTWC_V0[/YOUTUBE]

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with laxin's video there. No way Hill would walk that well as a baby deer.

9. Ajitator

Cause this makes sense, No one in the NFL ever gets better and one game is totally enough to see that.....

Which team do you scout for again?

10. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

You v. Professional Scouting Department?

Hmmmmmm..... I don't know, it's a close one.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

When was the last time or has Stephen Hill EVER battled for a football in a Jets uni. The QBs don't throw him jump balls because he does not high point the ball with his hands. He traps the ball with this arms and body which essentially negates his height advantage.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You don't have to be a professional scout to realize the guy doesn't have it. It's ironic that you guys would say that to laxin, when, in fact, it's those professional scouts themselves that were DEAD WRONG on Hill in the first place.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Mike Williams/Reggie Williams v2.0

Good athlete, bad football player.

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

His job is to catch the ball. The QB can't expect the WR to always get separation. These DB's are athletes too. Just like the WR can't always expect a perfect throw on every play. It's the receivers job to go catch the fucking ball. I'm sick of seeing balls bouncing off receivers hands and chest.

15. b.reyes16

Dead wrong? What were they wrong about? The guy was considered a four year project, a raw receiver with great athleticism and measurables. He seems to be on that pace.

I understand that being patient can be frustrating, especially for Jet fans, but that is exactly what we need to be with this kid.

Now, I'm not saying the kid is going to be an all-pro or even a good player for that matter. All I am saying is that we won't know what exactly he is for a while. It's not like we have Peyton Manning throwing him the ball.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

They fell in love with his measurables. Its as simple as that. They saw his frame and straight line speed and thought he could be the next megatron. Just because you have a boner for Hill, doesnt mean that someone else cant see that he will never make it.

This dumbass "which scouting department do you work for" statement is always a funny one. You dont have to be a scout to notice football talent. You dont have to be a scout to get some right, and some wrong. I got Geno Smith wrong just like the Jets did. But a scouting department with every college game available of Hill should be ashamed of themselves for drafting him in the 2nd over others who were available. He is not coordinated and he cant use his length to his advantage. Its really as simple as that. You think its a stunning coincidence that he has never been thrown a fade? Or that he struggles to get separation? Nope

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

:rofl::rofl:

18. b.reyes16

Can't drop the ball when it isn't thrown to you or if it has no chance of being caught. Look at Stephen Hill's targets the last couple of games and tell how many of them were catchable. If there's anything that he has improved, it has been his hands.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Way off base. Nobody in the NFL is drafted to be a four year project.. that's an unbelievable statement. Especially when they are drafted in the 2nd round.

He might've been drafted knowing he needed some grooming, but anybody who is expected to need THAT much grooming usually ends up undrafted.

20. Ajitator

To say he's still raw is fine, But to say he's never fought for a football in his career is just asinine. He's made some good plays for us just few and far between. We all knew he was raw coming into the league. There's no reason to write him off because he hasn't blown up in his second year, Not to mention who's been trying to throw him the ball. Year three is when WRs normally start to shape up. Why run him off the team now?