Geno to start vs MIA

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 74, Nov 25, 2013.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I get the QB gets all the credit(Deserving or not) as well as all the blame(Deserving or not) but it is just silly the way the QB woes take the forefront over areas that are just as black and blue as the QB spot has been.

The way people act about Geno Smith on here, you'd think Vernon Gholston was Terrell Suggs for us. That guy was a heartless, underachieving, disappointing bust who warranted the hate and anger on the board. Geno and Dee Milliner have not gotten to that level, contrary to what people think.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

First of all he really has only been playing bad since the 2nd Buffalo game. Too much knee jerk reactions, give him a chance to redeem himself, maybe being at home (where the Jets play better) could help him. If he fucks up again this week then you put in Simms the following week.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Given how poorly Smith has been playing, with the season on the line going into the Ravens game, and now on life support with little realistic chance of making the playoffs, it seems one of three things is happening:

1. Simms is so bad he should not even be on the roster. Look at other backups around the league getting it done, playing better than Smith. Right now there's no Qb worse. So if Simms is worse, if he gives the Jets LESS of a chance to win than Smith, then what does it say about an organization that has someone like Simms on its roster? Might as well cut him and let Cribbs be the backup.

2. Rex does not know what he's doing in managing the Qb situation. There is plenty of evidence in support of this, of course, and at this point it should lead to his getting fired, unless:

3. This is all on Idzik. While some might call this the conspiracy theory, it does not really involve a need for a conspiracy as such, only the newbie GM holding out against any reason the hope that more than one of his top three picks will attain some minimal success. Now of course Idzik does not have to order Rex to play Smith; only let Rex know he thinks it is a good idea.

Some might argue there's a fourth scenario. That would involve an assessment that somehow Smith, despite all the evidence, is getting better and provides the Jets with their best hopes in the medium to long term. But I think that is ridiculous, which really makes this one some combo of 1 and 2 above, more likely 2.

In short, take your pick here, but either the FO and in particular Idzik are not getting it done (1 and 3) or Rex does not deserve to be HC any longer. At this point I would say both are likely true.

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The reason a lot of us are adamant about benching geno is because we knew he was a bust from draft day and we can't take this shit any longer. Keeping him in there is only prolonging the inevitable benching. He's a career backup at best, not a franchise player.

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

So because you had your minds made up before he even stepped into the NFL, you want him gone?

This is a problem.....you are not the only person who has said this so don't take this the wrong way but again I think too many people can't put their draft analyst glasses off post-draft and admit if someone has succeeded what they expected.

That's not to say Geno has done just that but to not give him the benefit of at least 16 games(Young QBs need more than that but good luck telling this fanbase that) before writing him off as a career backup is silly.

6. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

I hope you're right, but another rough outing resulting in a loss,
    and the playoff ship will probably have sailed. And as for the home
    game, if he struggles early, it may get nasty in there. Just sayin'.

7. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I want him to have full 16 season starts what i dont want is that we avoid taking a shot at next years draft because we think he is the guy just cuz he needs time. He will compete for the job next year tho even if he trashes out the rest of the games its not like we need to cut him lol he is here for 3 years at least.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Starting NFL QB is a big, high paying job with lots of responsibility.

He is the leader of the team.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It wasn't long ago that a rookie QB would sit for at least 2 seasons before starting because they needed to learn the NFL style and adjust to the faster speed of the pros. Now you have a number of college teams that play a pro-style system and the QBs come into the NFL ready to play on Day 1.

GENO DID NOT PLAY IN A PRO STYLE SYSTEM! He's not ready yet, obviously. Ideally, he would have sat on the bench while Sanchez started and MAYBE he would be adequate to start next season. Unfortunately, Sanchez was injured and the Jets had no choice but to throw Geno into the fire without adequate preparation. In my opinion, at this point it's impossible to judge his ability to start in this league.

In addition, he does not have a strong offense to help him. The players around him are mediocre at best. It's too early to judge. Let him take his lumps now in a rebuilding year and maybe he'll be better next year. He seems to be very mature and has the right attitude so I wouldn't be surprised if he's much better next season. In addition, he has the right physical skills and abilities to be a NFL QB.

10. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Geno has nobody to throw the ball to.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Sunday the weather forecast is in the mid to low 40s with a 30% chance of rain.

I hope we get rain, at this point if the next 5 games are about gauging exactly who Geno is, I want to see him in the true elements. Not just windy, not just cold- I want to see rainy blustery cold conditions.

The 2014 draft is too important not to know.

_

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

why should I change my mind now? He's shown nothing all year to contradict my evaluation of him. In fact, he's performed worse than I imagined he would. I rooted for him all year, I didn't say anything negative post draft until after the buffalo game. enough is enough, even if he turns out better than a career backup, it's obvious he needs to sit and develop behind someone else.

13. Mr. Green Pants

There's no one on the board claiming he looks like a starting NFL quarterback. No...one. That being said, several cogent arguments have been made as to why he might be the Jets' best option right now. You don't agree, that's fine, there's a decent case to be made for sitting him. I just don't think you're making one. Your biases and your need for immediate gratification are coming through strong in your comments. That's true of some other Geno detractors as well.

#73 Mr. Green Pants, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

that must be it. i mean they have only seen every snap simms and smith have taken since ota's. not like us, we have seen simms in preseason games and mop up duty twice. how could they have such a different opinion? obviously they are clueless

15. JStokes

That's a bit unfair, he was pretty good early on, played very well in spurts and showed some ability. It just appears things have sped up on him or opposing DCs have exposed some of his weakenesses.

_

16. Big Blocker

If they saw Simms so often and know he sucks worse than the worst Qb in the NFL, which is exactly what Smith is, then why if those guys are so smart do they have Simms on the roster? Cribbs is probably better.

I think either Rex is being too loyal to Smith, or Idzik wants to play his second round pick, or both.

Saying Simms is worse than Smith means he should not be in the NFL.

17. Big Blocker

I have no doubt that this is a factor, but guess what? That's part of playing in the NFL.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I really hope so!

19. JStokes

I thought you had me on ignore :smile:

_

20. Big Blocker

How do you know that Simms is a worse qb right now than Smith?

The fact is you don't. And not knowing that, how can you be against finding out whether he is or not?

And if Simms really is worse, then he should be cut.