The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Like I said, if you have to compare your QB to Mark Sanchez in his rookie performance, you know you are fucked.

All right - Peyton Manning didn't do too brightly in his rookie season either - and he threw for 26 TD passes.

Geno is on pace to catch up with his INT totals [and go beyond - 28] but he has a long way to go before he catches up with his TD totals.

Geno also exceeded Sanchez in fumbles lost department [3 to 4] already. He's taking a lot of sacks [26 to 37]. He does throw about 6-7 times more than Sanchez did, but that doesn't give Geno pass.

Geno's sack rate comes at eye-whopping 10.5% - he's good for a sack on every 10 drop backs. Sanchez in his rookie season was at healthy 6.8%. Peyton was always at 3% range - so he's out of this stratosphere, but good QBs usually go down at some 5% ratio. Geno is god-damn-awful with feeling the pressure, much, MUCH worse than Sanchez is. [Of course, now Genomaniacs will say he has real bad OL. They will blissfully forget that, Sanchez, in his WFH days, logged no higher than 6.7%, and even during the dark days of Tony Sparano, 7.0%, nowhere near Geno's 10.5%]

#6301 Zach, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

No wonder you are such Geno worshiper. You need find a new source for your football information.

3. legler82

It depends on where the QB is drafted.

4. legler82

Because Sanchez sucks and Geno is the future.

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

So Sanchez was the worst rookie qb in league history because if not I don't understand why he was mentioned again in this thread.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

6. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning was asked to throw 36 times a game in a different era of football as a rookie, why do people insist on bringing up Peyton.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That's not a real response to what I said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

It was shown when mark got bench too. From the get go I've said it doesn't matter who's under center with this offensive talent the jets have. But many ignore as their love to hate Sanchez urge grew. This team just sucks.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I agree, we need players who are good in space....A Tavon Austin so to speak.

10. legler82

Geno was considered by many the best QB in the draft but very few gave him a first round grade. He was projected to go in the first round by some mocks because in recent history QB hungry team have been over-drafting QBs. With the new CBA, it's very cost effective to reach for a 2nd/3rd round graded QB you really like in the first round. If you hit the jackpot, you get him under a cheap contract for an extra year, 5 years instead of 4. If you miss, you did not break the bank. That's why it cracks me up when people act as though Geno was someone the FO targeted in the draft. If they really liked him they would have drafted him in the first like Buffalo did with Manuel. Instead, they passed him up twice! I think they planned on drafting a QB for competition as some point and based on their board Geno was good value at 39 based. Ponder is another example of the recent trend, a failed one, but an example nonetheless.

11. legler82

As long as he's not Sanchez; it's all good.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Braylon Edwards might have had stone hands but at least he fought for the ball. This crop doesn't fight for a ball to save their lives

13. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I feel like distain for a rookie with nothing to work with has clouded our view of our ACTUAL biggest need next year.

theres all this talk of how deep next years QB class is, well how about the WR class? thats loaded and we're right in the mix for that no matter if we make the postseason or not.

I'd rather get a Watkins, lee, or Evans than a second tier QB prospect at this point. For once let focus on our weapons, not start all over again and again like some are suggesting, that won't help anything.

let the era of Eugene make its last stand with positive surroundings next year, there will be other drafts and I'd rather a new guy in 2015 get a bluechip WR with a year under their belt to work with.

14. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

he is on pace to be so much worse than Sanchez' rookie year it's scary

15. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I think Rex will stay with Geno one more game, since we are unbelievably still in the playoff hunt. If Smith continues with another game like the last three he will sit him for a game and then go back to him just like he did Sanchez.

Rex sucks as a HC and I hope he has the balls to switch to Simms if Smith shits the bed again. My fear is Geno will be bad, but not bad enough for Rex to bench since our GM is having his bromance.

I said we would be bad this year, but not bad enough no get a top five pick. I just hope we are bad enough going forward to get a new HC and one who is allowed to get his own QB. Smith is not the answer.

16. Mr. Green Pants

Sanchez had a better line, better receivers, a more consistent running game, and threw the ball less, but yeah, other than that stuff, the playing field was totally level for both guys.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I didn't. When I was all up in my arms, disgusted by how horrible this Geno kid was, you-know-who told me to just shut the hell up because Peyton did comparably as bad in his rookie season.

And Peyton's getting sacked at some 3% ratio this season as well. Looks like his rookie season wasn't that much of a fluke either, different era or not.

And 10% sack rate is not a good sign of a good QB progression. Take Michael Vick. Since his return, he posted 8% or less in Philly. [And we all thought he was taking too many hits and sacks.] I am inclined to believe that, Marty Mornhinweg is not the kind of outlier influence that Mike Martz was to Jay Cutler [Cutler under Martz is the only case I can remember off my head, who posted 10+% sack rate.]

I busted you for this but you STILL spill this bullshit.

1. Sanchez had better line in 2009. Faneca left in 2010, and WFH arrived in 2011. What the fuck are you smoking?
    2. Shonn Greene? 3 yards a pop? Bottom half of the league RB? Better running game falls on 2009 and 2010 (Thomas Jones/Ladanian Tomlinson) and not much after that.
    3. Better receivers? Cotchery and Stuckey as your #1 and #2? Stop that bullshit.

#6318 Zach, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  19. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

20. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

uhhh....

1. I know we aren't trading any picks so who are we trading that the skins want?

2. haven't we learned trading for a backup is really dumb idea from flyn and tebow? a reliable backup that played well in a pinch once or twice doesn't a starter worthy of giving something up make.

3. he's as much a developmental project as geno. at least asking for a trade for a guy like Big Ben makes sense, off field shit aside he's a super bowl caliber QB. giving something away for a promise rather than a sure thing makes no sense unless its a draft pick.