"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

The bolded part...then why wouldnt you give Simms a game? He is on the roster..practically free? I just do not get anyone that does not want to give this kid a game or 2...will never understand it.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

This is it...this is what the defenders dont get. NOBODY IS SAYING SIMMS IS ON HIS WAY TO CANTON.

Geno is not either...so WHY NOT!

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I don't mind if Simms comes in but I just don't think he'll do much as the supporting cast absolutely stinks, regardless of QB.

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I think Simms will give the offense a spark . He has better feel for the receivers , hits them in stride, and they know if they are not primary they are still alive.

The people that say you can't start Simms because we don't know anything about him is stupid. I would rather go with a guy that excelled in ore season and play well in mop up duty than a known that is just awful. I mean 1TD and 10INT in the last 7 weeks!!!! 50% compl ! I am tired of the game being over before it begins.

5. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I disagree, Matt Simms in limited playing time has shown the ability to make actual NFL throws, meaning he anticipates the throw rather than waiting to see the guy wide open. He also doesn't stare at one receiver the whole route. I think he can be successful with this cast of players, I also think the CS knows this and doesn't want to put him in and start a controversy.

6. BakerMaker

It is all in garbage time though vs defenses letting up. I don't want to put too much emphasis on that.

It isn't Simms fault, he has done decently if not good with what is given(He had a dropped INT though Geno has had a few too) but taking on a defense who is viewing gametape on you and preparing for you is a whole different beast.

7. 85inthehall

I think today Rex was afraid to put him in late because he might throw a TD. At least you let him start next week he gets to prep all week.

8. OverloadBlitz

Out of the 6 pass attempts he threw last week he was blitzed by 5 or more guys 3 times and all 6 of his throws were against press man to man coverage, that is not prevent defense, go back and watch the game.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is where I am now as well. Let Rex keep on trotting Smith out there. As the team heads for another losing season, maybe for once we can get an honest assessment of Rex's coaching record and style. I'm just hoping Idzik is waiting on the extension for this very reason.

Funny, but those two AFCCG's seems like a lifetime ago don't they..

10. BakerMaker

The Geno/Simms duo kinda reminds me of the Manuel/Tuel duo that was heading in for the Bills where Tuel nearly got the start week 1 before Manuel came in. Tuel came in for Manuel when Manuel got hurt vs CLE and absolutely bombed. Then vs KC(Albeit KC's a strong defense minus today) Tuel had some really poor decisions.

Now Matt Simms isn't Jeff Tuel, he may be better. He may be worse. But I just don't think Simms changes the problems on offense, but I do want the team to do well and have the best QB under center. It is just if the team struggles, we'll now know who the real culprits are.

11. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

But he's a better coach than Lou Holtz, Joe Walton, Bruce Coslet and Herm Edwards. Didn't you know that? Lifetime extension!!!!

12. BakerMaker

I didn't say prevent D, I said the Bills defense didn't carry the same urgency with such a big lead. With the BYE coming up for BUF, why would Pettine throw in new disguises and looks he could be saving up for future opponents?

13. Cman68

I've been told he's better than Kotite too. I must have missed the memo SJF. I'll check with Morgan Freeman soon as I get back to Gotham. :grin:

14. 85inthehall

So a qb with no reps in 10 weeks playing with an o-line he has never been behind, playing for the second time in the nfl, against defense that just made your starting qb a bitch for 53 minutes, was able to come in and look more prepared and capable than geno has in weeks.

I'm ok with giving him a shot with proper practice and prep.

15. OverloadBlitz

I don't know what you were watching, they looked pretty urgent to me.

16. BakerMaker

Again the Bills defense wasn't giving away any looks and didn't want to risk injuries.

I'd like to see Simms Cinderella story happen and I'll root for him but I just don't have high hopes on the kid, in part because the surrounding cast just isn't that good.

17. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Yup! I figure time to pack it in for the rest of the season...ahhhh welll....ce la vie, yet again another shit flushed year in NY Jet green. :smile::rofl:

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Id honestly let Simms start next game, or at the very least if Geno can not create some offense, put him in in the 2nd half.

I just want to see what we have in him. Its sad that its come to this.

19. Cman68

Funny, but after you've seen enough of these seasons, they just don't have the impact they used to.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

I would like to see more of Simms, but you honestly dont know what you are watching if you think the circumstances between Simms and Geno last week. Geno was blitzed the enitre game. When Simms was put in, Pettine clearly backed off on his first drive. It was pretty obvious in the difference in coaching approaches between when Geno was in and when Simms was.