"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

or maybe Simms does well? Maybe? What do we do if that happens except kick ourselves that we waited a week or 3 too long?

2. jaywayne12

Seriously, the guys defending Smith...are you guys on record saying you do not want to draft a qb next year?

3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I almost peed myself! One of the best posts of the year! lol

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am for starting Simms on the OL. But we need to replace 4 OL.

5. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I've been defending Smith (because of shotty o-line play and poor receivers), but he shoulders as much of the blame as well.

If the front office is enamored with one of the QBs coming out in the current class, I'm all for pulling the trigger.

6. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Yes let's piss away all playoff hope just so we can keep giving him a chance to have a decent game. He played 11 games and has shown nothing, when is it enough?

7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Draft? No.

Sign a veteran QB(I wanted Matt Moore for instance) that isn't a bum? Yes. That does not mean Cutler or Vick. I mean a QB like a Luke McCown or despite his terrible play, Matt Schaub type for instance. That way the job isn't giving to Geno by next year come training camp.

We need the draft to give us help at 2 WR/TE/S/CB/RT/OLB.

8. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

Agreed! Geno has failed the eyeball test. Period.

9. OverloadBlitz

Lmao you don't want to draft a QB next year? You have to be kidding me right? Same mistake we made with Sanchez, rewarding mediocre to abysmal performances with more playing time and no competition through the draft. Let's make that mistake again.

10. BakerMaker

I'd give Geno 2 years to show something and if he doesn't, if we hit on a draft at giving the offense as a whole some talent....the new QB can now have players who have a year under their belts of pro football.

I just can't write off Geno so soon. He needs more than 1 year to be assessed IMHO. The only QB I'd do it for is Bridgewater but we aren't that bad to get him.

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Awful QB play - and that is what geno is the worst qb in the nfl right now -will bring down the entire offense. Players don't get up for the game in practice,they don't play with fire, they come in to the game knowing 6 points and the game is over. Receivers don't get involved in the game, lose interest, lose focus. Rex is going to lose the entire team sticking with a 2nd round low cost rookie that isn't helping the team.

Ravens got 9 pts and I had zero belief that they could get to 10 with geno.

12. BakerMaker

We need to at least use 3 picks on targets, preferring 2 WRs and a TE. If we sign a TE with our money, then we can get someone like Chris Archer who could have been what Austin might have been if he was our 9th pick.

13. BakerMaker

That says a lot of those players and their long term with us if so. It is their obligation and them being a professional to get up for these games regardless and to perform and execute. The offense has not done this as a whole.

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

First time in a long time...I have been behind Geno all the way, but its time to let Simms start to see what he can do with his arm.

Geno was bad

15. OverloadBlitz

If he doesn't show anything congratulations, you just wasted 2 years and don't have a young QB waiting in the wings. Draft a good prospect in the draft, let Geno win a fair competition and that's that. He doesn't deserve to be handed the starting job. This is not Madden, he will not magically progress at the end of the season. Hold players accountable, you play like shit you sit on the pine, period.

16. BakerMaker

I just can't get behind a QB drafted in the 1st 3 rounds. Now if you can find a Cousins/Foles clone in round 4, that's fine and cool I guess.

But we need WR/OLB/RT/S or CB with our first 4 picks. This is taking we sign a starting TE in free agency.

17. 85inthehall

Skill players want to ball they want to make plays. You have a qb that is unable to stretch a field, use timing, run common high percentage routes. The post game show covered it... No slants, curls, outs, drags , post.... All routes that rely on timing and being on The same page. These are the money routes for Holmes... Quick slant and go. Smith isn't able to make these throws for some reason. It kills the offense. Smith is dragging the entire team down.

Also if he starts next week the home crowd will destroy him from the second he hits the field.

18. 85inthehall

Right now the best option is to try to get Sanchez back on a 1 year deal . No get on the market is any good and maybe Sanchez will come in like a man possessed to prove himself

19. jaywayne12

that was my point in wanting to know what the defenders of Geno want to do next year with the draft.

So we can go for a veteran..not a great veteran.....or maybe a draft pick....but you guys would never want to find out if Simms can complete a pass under pressure before the season is over.

Dont you guys see how nuts that is?

20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'm actually getting tired of the debate at this point. 11 games in and one thing is absolutely certain...Geno is NOT the guy. He doesn't show improvement...even modest improvement. In fact, he has actually continued to regress. At least when he was throwing 2 or 3 picks he was putting up 200yd. games. Now, he is just barely putting up 100 yds. I mean really...would YOU let him throw? I sure wouldn't.

11th game into the season and he puts up 100yds throwing. Wowwwwwwwwwww!!!! 1 for 12 on Third down...bigger wooowwwwww!!!!! Yes sir, Geno is tearing it up! Oh, let's not forget 2 turnovers away from breaking the record there as well. My guess is 2 more games and he officially locks in the worst Rookie season in the HISTORY of the NFL. As I've mentioned before even guys like Jamarcus Russel and Akili Smith can't lay claim to that distinction.

No one is saying Simms is the next coming of Montana...but I, for one, am saying Smith is NOT the guy. He's had 11 games... To be quite honest, at this point, I am changing my mind...why bother getting Simms hurt unless you have to. Fuck it...put Smith out there the rest of the way to sink/swim or whatever. I've about had it.