Why I am MORE angry with the Head Coach than Geno for the Bills disaster:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

It always comes back to what I keep saying - no head coach in the NFL since Ryan has been here has been given less talent at QB and achieved better results than Rex. Not one.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I do blame the starting Qb's for most of the problems over the last few years. And yes the FO has also done a poor job in general even with the backups. But there is a point past which leaving a rookie Qb in there and watching him play worse and worse is not acceptable coaching.

I would start Simms for hte Ravens game. Get him a full week's practice with the first team. i don't understand why that advantage is not better appreciated in these discussions. Why practice at all if it's not important to preparation?

Yet watch them start Smith, and leave him on a short leash. That passes for conventional wisdom in such situations, I guess.

Well, I sure hope it works, but I seriously doubt it will.

3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

At that point in the game, the coaches should not be asking is "Why" Geno can't Geno complete a pass. That is a question to be asked after the game. At that point the question the coaches should be asking is "Do we have more faith in our running game or our passing game right now?".

I know what my answer was. How about you?

4. HackettSuxTNG

An who so you blame when the whole team is flat??? The Coach!

5. HackettSuxTNG

Is his poor play also responsible for the defensive line being unable to touch the Bills QB?

6. HackettSuxTNG

Again, at that point in the game, did you have more faith in Geno Smith, or the running game?

7. HackettSuxTNG

Simple: The Head Coach can go to the Offensive Coordinator and say "I am the Head Coach. I want to run here."

8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I think people are forgetting one thing: the Bills played amazing. Their o-line was great. Everything about their offense was great. It happens.

Yes, our o-line sucked.
    Yes, Geno sucked.
    Yes, our DBs sucked.

But the Bills definitely earned that game.

That being said, Geno needed time to learn. He wasn't ready to be just tossed into a game full of insanely better talent than he faced in college.

9. NewYorkEveryThing

How about the 3 straight running calls our second series? Running on 3rd and 4 is unacceptable especially when geno threw for 300 yards the first meeting. dRex wanted to play the whole "Field advantage" game and expects our defense to score? That is his ego and it got the best of him. He thought since he got ed reed that EJ was just gonna get sacked and hurried all game and throw picks to reed . Rex was getting his head blown up after the impressive win against N.O. ,so he over coached a lot last week. he needs to realize that he cannot just throw in ANY QB and take their talents away and tell them to game manage and just run the ball and punt.

10. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Who knows -- great job defense! Way to hold them!

Go get the O! Put some points on the board while I get a drinik! What?!?! Christ again! Man we need a breather.

Good job Defense held them to a FG! Yeah no problem now go make something happen while I...SON OF A BITCH AGAIN!!!

So yes QB turning the ball over can wipe out your defense physically and mentally.

11. Big Blocker

The Bills secondary was depleted in the first meeting. That comparision means nothing.

12. Big Blocker

THe Bills D was putting 8 and 9 in the box, begging the Jets to throw on them.

At some point your Qb has to do better than a 10 Qb rating.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I did not know that. Wow you cannot give rookies 6 days off in the middle of a season. Six days of no contact sure but they NEED to be studying. Especially if the QB is a rookie. Things like this probably translated to Sanchez’s slow learning curve as well. Rex is too soft on his players. I wonder if we had a full contact practice the entire two weeks of the bye?

14. HackettSuxTNG

So, I will ask you the same question that no one wants to answer: Are you saying at that point in the game, you had more faith in Geno Smith than you had in the running game?

15. HackettSuxTNG

Point taken. You did a good job here.

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The time off is mandatory under the new cba.

17. Big Blocker

It is not a fair question. Sure on balance the running game is much better and more dependable. But your question ignores that the Buffalo D was loading the box and daring the Jets to throw on them.

To say the Jets have a good running game does not mean you only run the ball no matter what the D is doing.

18. HackettSuxTNG

It's a perfectly fair question: You have to choose between:

1) Running against a Bills defense that is lined up to defend the run

2) Have Geno Smith pass against a defense that is begging him to pass, but he has had absolutely no success whatsoever all game.

You have to choose. Pick one.

19. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Its a team game and coaches are part of the team. Coaches coach; players play! But coaches are supposed to put players in the most advantageous position to make plays and have them ready to play. We seem to come out flat much too often. A few years ago we beat NE in the playoffs and went to Pitts. for the AFCCG. We came out flat! Inexcusable.

#59 Kentucky Jet, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

you just said it yourself - its a team game - lots of people were to blame you cant just point at one coach and say "its all your fault" when the players let him and themselves down (especially Smith who was brutal).

the game against the bills was basically killed by two mistakes - Douzable jumping offside on 4-6 leading to a TD and then Smith coughing up the ball leading to another TD - we went from 3-0 down to 17-0 down and effectively game over in the space of a couple of minutes - how on earth can you point to the coaches and say that was on them?