Dee Miliner...have I missed something?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Derty, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Rex definitely needs to help this secondary out here. He can't have his guys Millner and hell Cro consistently get beat deep.

I know he has confidence in his boys coverage ability but they simply need help. This is what Reed is here to help do in the meantime. Either provide safety help or play more zone.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

We know the Jets had Richardson rated extremely high (didn't they say they got their #1 and #2 rated players) so it's logical to think that if Revis is still here we take Richardson with the #9 pick? Milliner is getting beat somewhere else. This guys looks like he's never seen the position. I understand there is a learning curve for CB's but he doesn't even turn around to play the ball.

3. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

you guys seriously need to watch the tape on patrick peterson's rookie season. kid was absolutely atrocious and that was with safety health.

its amazing how spoiled we were with revis

4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

CB is probably the second hardest position in the NFL to transition to from college - you cannot tell anything with a CB (in most cases) until yr 2.

5. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Enough with the Patrick Peterson garbage. He had 2 INTs and showed flashes in his 9 games. Not to mention he has a hell of a punt returner. The only flashes Dee is showing is being a line cook at Mcdonalds.

6. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

it's not garbage, you probably just looked at the stats and saw 2 ints. he played absolutely atrocious his first year. dee milliner also has a much tougher job than him

i will admit that he does need to learn how to bump and run. it will come eventually

7. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Patrick Peterson got a lot of positive attention his rookie year for his special teams play. His CB play was awful but he was so good on special teams a lot of people gave him a break and just sort of assumed he would get better which he obviously did.

8. 94Abraham

Right. Says the guy who has probably never seen Peterson play except the game last year vs the Cards. Peterson has something Milliner wish he had, instincts and ball skills. Milliner has no awareness. Using that comparison is downright silly. We are looking Vernon Goulston version 2 sadly.

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

No we're looking Kyle Wilson version 2.

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

We woulda still drafted our DROY..

11. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

LOL @ the patrick peterson comparison. Peterson may just be the best athlete in the entire NFL. Lets not even go there.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Given my comment on Reed on his thread, I thought i should say here that I am not quite as worried, yet, about Milliner as some others here. Here's the point - let's see what can happen with Reed working with the secondary in a full week of practice, and btw coming up against the Ravens, which should be worth something. There were coverage issues involved in some of those long completions by the bills, even if it did not look like Reed himself was getting beat.

The big picture is I really doubt Rex is going to abandon man coverage wholesale at this point. He will try instead to get Reed working in there with Cro and Milliner continuing to play man often. I hope it works, and it well might.

13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Kyle Wilson is better than Milliner. He's that bad.

This guy just has no feel for the position. He looks completely lost out there.

14. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

dee milliner is a freak athlete, it's why he can run a 4.3

and to the guy that said ive never watch peterson play, you're full of shit. i study the draft and always try to watch rookies once they come into the NFL and peterson looked downright awful in coverage

15. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine Active Member

Peterson ran a 4.34 and Milliner ran a 4.37

Peterson is 6'1 and Milliner is 6'0

Peterson Vert is 38 and Milliner is 36

Peterson Broad Jump is 126 inches and Milliner is 122

Peterson Cone drill is 6.58 and Milliner is 6.95

Peterson 20 yd shuttle is 4.07 and Milliner is 4.32

Both have the same arm length.

Milliner also performed in the draft with a torn labrum. Both are elite athletes in the league. Unless you rather go by the eye test and not actual facts...

16. 94Abraham

Didnt people make the same comparisons to Goulston? These stats are very similar but it always tells part of the story. You can be a physical freak but whether that translates to the football field is a different story. Peterson is just a more fluid athlete and a playmaker. These drills cant measure IQ and awareness, which Dee has shown very little this year. These are traits that are very hard to develop and players at this stage should already have.

17. gopats88

gopats88 Member

So... basically Peterson is a better athlete in nearly every measurable way, and much better in terms of burst and agility? Maybe you don't realize it, but the differences in their 3-cone and shuttle times are very significant, even if the numbers don't look that big. Milliner was beat in the three-cone drill by three defensive lineman, fifteen wide receivers, ten runningbacks, and two-dozen defensive backs in his class. Peterson would have had the #3 overall fastest time, and #2 for defensive backs in the same class. Milliner was beaten by 34 other defensive backs in the short shuttle. Peterson would have had the 7th fastest time within the position in the same draft. I definitely don't look at those numbers and see the two players as being equal, or even comparable at a position where agility and acceleration are probably the two most important physical traits.

18. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine Active Member

I see you removed the part of my post that stated he had a torn labrum while in the combine...

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

It seems both Cro and Dee aren't shifting the WRs off their routes within the 5 yards they are allowed too, to much clean releases

I haven't checked in a couple weeks, but Kyle Wilson was rating out really well at CB this year. He's turned into a effective slot corner unless he's had some really bad weeks or I misread the ratings.

20. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Sure, he might have been affected by that injury... to what extent I haven't the slightest idea. But what was the point in posting numbers that show a big difference in athleticism to try to justify your point that they are comparable, "elite" athletes? My goal wasn't to convince anyone that Milliner wasn't a good athlete or that he won't be a good CB. I was just pointing out that the numbers that you chose to post don't really support your own argument.

Edit: And I omitted the last line of your post because I thought it made for a better transition to the first sentence of my response, which was basically "So, looking at these numbers, my conclusion is..."

#480 gopats88, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013