Why I am MORE angry with the Head Coach than Geno for the Bills disaster:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Nov 19, 2013.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Let's go back to the middle of the Third Quarter where the Jets are about to score a touchdown to cut the Bills lead to 13 points.

-----

4th and 1 at BUF 1 C.Ivory up the middle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Assistant challenged the runner broke the plane ruling, and the play was Upheld. 6 20

N.Folk extra point is GOOD, Center-T.Purdum, Holder-R.Quigley. 7 20

Bills 20 - Jets 7.

N.Folk kicks 66 yards from NYJ 35 to BUF -1. M.Goodwin to BUF 25 for 26 yards (J.Jarrett, N.Bellore). PENALTY on NYJ, Illegal Formation, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 25.

Buffalo Bills at 7:18 NYJ BUF

1st and 10 at BUF 30 F.Jackson up the middle to BUF 31 for 1 yard (D.Harris, D.Harrison).
    2nd and 9 at BUF 31 (No Huddle) E.Manuel scrambles right end pushed ob at BUF 37 for 6 yards (A.Cromartie).
    3rd and 3 at BUF 37 (No Huddle, Shotgun) E.Manuel pass incomplete deep left to T.Graham (D.Milliner). Receiver and coverage along sideline at NYJ 37.
    4th and 3 at BUF 37 B.Moorman punts 44 yards to NYJ 19, Center-G.Sanborn, downed by

BUF-M.Easley. PENALTY on BUF-R.Brooks, Interference with Opportunity to Catch, 15 yards, enforced at NYJ 19.
    DRIVE TOTALS: NYJ 7, BUF 20, 3 plays, -7 yards, 1:00 elapsed

New York Jets at 6:07 NYJ BUF

1st and 10 at NYJ 34 (Shotgun) G.Smith pass short right to J.Cumberland to NYJ 36 for 2 yards (N.Robey). Caught at NYJ 35.
    2nd and 8 at NYJ 36 (Shotgun) G.Smith pass incomplete short right to S.Hill. Thrown wide of receiver, in flat at NYJ 40.
    3rd and 8 at NYJ 36 (Shotgun) G.Smith pass incomplete short right to S.Hill (L.McKelvin). Receiver and coverage along sideline at NYJ 48.
    4th and 8 at NYJ 36 R.Quigley punts 47 yards to BUF 17, Center-T.Purdum. L.McKelvin to BUF 17 for no gain (J.Bush, I.Trufant).

Why on earth would you throww three times in this situation, and not run the ball? The Bills have the 23rd ranked run defense coming into that game and you have over 20 minutes to score twice!!!

2. TheGreenCantona

you are doomed whatever you do in a game that has gone that wrong for the QB.

The runs didn't work either nor the OLine, and i would attribute that to the defence not being particularly afraid of playing ultra aggressive. You would never see a defense playing like that against Brady or Peyton, as they would smoke them with quick reads until they settle down.

3. NIJet

NIJet Member

Obviously it was because Rex Ryan ran over to Marty and insisted we passed 3 times such is his M.O. as a pass happy coach

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Because the bills were daring the jets to throw .... saying hey we have 9 guys a yard from the line of scrimmage. Good lucks!

Smith had the wind at his back and a team begging him to throw the football. He couldn't do it.

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

It's a shame that geno is learning on the fly,,,,we cannot afford to give games away and in this one Geno never gave us a chance. I hope he gets better and realize it is yr 1 but I see the same stupid mistakes being made,,,the good ones learn from their mistakes.

The problem with the coach or at least one problem is they allow Geno to throw wayyyyyy too much, you cannot ask this QB to just sling it around, they must run the ball to help him out. I would rather 3 running plays and a punt and ask the def to hold me then to turn it over.

For those of you that defend Rex and say MM calls the plays I say Rex is the head coach and if he says stop throwing it Marty,,,,we run,,,,,,then they run.

6. jetzii

jetzii New Member

Its amazing how everyone changes there tune in one week. All I heard is that the Jets got through the hardest 3 games that they will have 2-1 and now the easiest of the schedule would be coming up. Seriously?, Did anyone think it was going to be an easy win against the Bills in there house?
    Jets are a 500 team like the Fins and the Bills. Who will show up for the next game is the issue.
    To sit here and blame a rookie for all there issues, then praise him the next week, its a joke.
    From the first week, my expectations were low and hey, the won 5 games.

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I seem to remember at that point our rushing attack wasn't that effective, maybe that was the reason.

Please don't JUST make this all about our inadequacies , the Bills played well as much as we played poorly.

8. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

They were playing the run so obviously, you act like Geno had 35 pass attempts, he had 21 attempts, we tried the run it was ineffective due to 8 man boxes all day. The question you should be asking is why can't Geno throw a simple curl route on target and on time.

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

This game was a carbon copy of Cincy. The team, straight up, didn't show up. It sucked, but it happens I guess. Too loose, time to tighten it back up.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is the heart of the problem and its likely an internal problem. Maybe its coaching (likely its coaching). When a team is solid one game and then stinks the next game every week of the season something is going wrong preparation wise.

The most alarming aspect is this last week. We had two weeks to prepare for the Bills – Geno had two weeks to prepare for the Bills – there is absolutely no reasonable excuse for what we saw. Something in the Jets preparation is amiss in a strange way. I can’t say exactly what is causing it but it’s something internal.

#10 ouchy, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

In addition to a lack of success and leadership from the QB position I am not sure that our team has leaders on the field that the other guys can rally behind.

The DL is awesome and shows up every week but with 11 guys on the field, we clearly need more than that.

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

are you aware that marty morningwood is our offensive coordinator? he has a tendency to pass the ball. its just the way it is.

i wonder if our coach who everyone was clamoring for an extension for is now on the hot seat... ahh jetzi you are right its week to week up and down too much with fans. to invested in something they have no control over and an inability to really understand how it goes and the ebbs and flows of a season.

13. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Well, if as a head coach, you turn over the offense over to a guy who is pass happy and then wash your hands of it...well....

14. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

How can any QB pass when he is on his back?

15. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

why blame one player? The whole team came out FLAT and that is inexcusable.

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

this is a very good observation. it does make you wonder why the ENTIRE team is fucked up one week and on their game the next. i blame alot of it on the ups and downs of a rookie qb but it appears it may be more than that. it may be a problem with preparation and game planning.

17. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Are you joking or serious? Geno gets the blame because he is the qb. He is unable to do anything with his arm for the last 5 weeks for some reason. With pressure you go to bit reads, screens, slants ... Bang bang plays to counter an over aggressive defensive and to get favorable matchup a outside. Geno can't do that. If he doesn't have 3seconds or more to scan the field , watch guys come open, and throw to a wide open receiver he just isn't very good. I don't know what happened to him after Atlanta but he has been a shell of that player. His poor play is bringing down everyone on that offense

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I don't expect a W every week, but do expect the team to turn up.
    This is pretty much an ultimate team sport and really, people should just stop looking for scapegoats .
    This whole discussion on what our problems are has been discussed ad nauseam and quite frankly its gotton old really quickly.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with the loss is, EJ Manuel has as many games under his belt as Geno Smith does and he was throwing the ball well with a bunch if no name receivers against the vaulted Rex defense.

So how does Manuel light up one if the best defenses in the leauge with a receiving corp that as a group have less experience than Santonio Holmes?

The jets were not prepared on offense or defense and that's not on Geno smith, or maybe they had a good gameplan on offense and Geno just did not execute it well.

Whatever it was its inexcusable when you have so much time to prepare for your next opponent.

#19 Red Menace, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Exactly. Add in that the Jets were also more than two scores down and it makes sense to see of your rookie qb can actually throw the ball and make some completions.

I am sure the CS did not tell him to throw bad throws. But let's blame them for Smith's incompetence.