Stephen Hill: Milk Carton Status

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CurbYourEnthusiasm, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

oh man - the scott frost experiment - good call.

the difference with parcells making those leap of faith picks is that he had more draft choices to make so whiffing on a pick or 2 was no big shake.

of course with trader mike - less choices means no room for errors like hill etc etc

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I loved the Scott Frost pick at the time. He had all of the measurable to be a great safety.

He just never really lived up to his potential.

3. jilozzo

indeed....parcells approach to the draft - as well as belicheks to a degree - u can draft on measurables and if a couple dont pan out it won't matter cause i have a boatload of picks and we'll hit on some others.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think people are giving up on hill to quickly. 2 years in the league, missed significant time with injuries 2 o.c.'s 2 qb's neither of whom are lighting it up. most wrs' blossom in year 3. lets see what happens if he s in the same system with geno next year.

5. LWC611

LWC611 Member

This.........

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It's hard to get a handle on how bad Hill really is when he is working with such an inaccurate Qb.

Interesting that there is talk of benching him, a Tanny pick, when Smith who is Idzik's pick is still starting. I am not saying it's a conspiracy. But I do think it is interesting. Let's see how that plays out.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

There is no controversy. Geno is the starter and he should get a game or two to redeem himself.

8. Big Blocker

I don't agree with that. If i were HC I would practice all week with Simms and see what he can do.

9. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

Most receivers who blossom in year three show signs of blossoming in years 1 and 2. Most receivers never get it. Hill is one of them.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

those receivers are usually getting average to above average qb play and have been in the same systems for their entire 3 years.
    the question to ask is"would he be this invisible on a team like the panthers or the bengals" ( i won't use the elite qb teams) . he was targeted 7 times sunday. how many were on target? i don't recall any where i thought he could have made a catch

11. TheGreenCantona

interesting situation for the Jets:

we cannot evaluate the oline or WR corps because we have no QB
    we cannot critise the QB because he has no protection nor weapons

is the conclusion that our offence is thoroughly f***ed?

12. jilozzo

not if the GM is in ur ear about his 2nd round pick.

RR may have the mandate to play smith thru and only injury can dismiss that.

13. jilozzo

welcome to the NYJ

14. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

This kid was dubbed to have "Megatron" type skill, body type, etc. He's the biggest "minitron" ever. HE SUCKS. He can't catch. He's got dinosaur arms. He can't separate and he's a big bitch about getting hit.

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

^ Minitron lol good one. Of course he sucks.

Anyone who has ever played or knows the game can watch Hill run a few patterns and know that he's not an NFL WR. Measurables and combines mean J*CKSHIT if you don't know how to translate those skills onto a football field. Hill is the perfect example of this. He looks so awkward out there when trying to make a play on the ball it's scary. The fact that they spent a 2nd rounder on this guy is beyond belief.

16. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

It really is scary when you think about it. There was nothing he did at GT that suggested it translated to the NFL. He stood wide open 40 yards down the field.

17. Big Blocker

I agree this is a possibility. I don't know how we can conclude it is factually the case, though.

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Yikes, that's quite a cast of WASTED high draft picks. At best you can hope one or 2 would be impact players, at worst solid contributors, but with the exception of K-Dub and Green, the NYJ have gotten almost nothing from this group...

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They traded up to take him at least 2 rounds too high.

That's the fitting epitaph on the last regime's strategy for putting together a roster.

20. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I have a crazy theory on Hill...so stick with me here.

The kid is a good kid right? Not screaming for the ball..just give me the damn ball..quiet kid. Doesnt fit the norm for a receiver of his size and speed but there are some out there...but he is a really good..quiet kid.

So what happened? My theory is this...and it hit me several games back when he made a big catch..perhaps his last catch? It was the end of a game we won...big catch for a first down and I remember him going down real fast after he caught the ball. Almost like a timeout pose. I remember thinking that was strange how fast he went down.

So Im thinking..and I could be nuts..but Hill has had some concussion issues..and the last hit he took..I remember seeing him on the Jet post game show. It was that hit out of bounds where he held onto the ball late.

I think what we have here is a kid that took one of the most dangerous hits I have ever seen early in the season against that no good prick on the Bucs..a kid that doesnt want the ball anymore. Doesnt want to over the middle. Happens to certain players..like baseball players beaned in the head that are never the same.

You just dont disappear like this. The kid isnt finishing routes...not fighting for anything.

I could be way off..but I think this kid is mentally marked. Cream me if you like...but nothing else adds up. He doesnt even interview anymore.