"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I would also add that Smith needs to know his playing time is at risk when he plays poorly. That of course was part of the logic of sitting him yesterday. But that logic is undercut by Rex saying in the post game presser that Smith is the starter in Baltimore. At least look at the film and talk to the other coaches, Rex.

2. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

last two posts are dead on.

What annoyed me most is in the press conference rex states for the first time all season - Geno is the starter next week. No we will look at the film and see how practice goes. I will review with the staff. Marty can't be looking at Geno and saying well this guy is the guy i can make some plays with. What happened to competition?

3. 85inthehall

Yeah you wrote the same thing i was writing at the same time.

I just don't get why there is blind loyalty to Smith. I don't understand what it is and if it is the GM saying he has to play that is undermining the entire coaching staff.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This type of thinking reall astounds me in the modern NFL. There is no rebuilding and the Jets have a really good chance to make the playoffs. You don't start Simms because you think he is the next Kurt Warner you start Simms because Smith is sucking and has played his way out of Job.

There is limited life in an NFL player and you demoralize a team when you let a rookie Qb destroy your season. Geno needs to sit no matter who is behind him.

What I see from Geno fans is that they are afraid Simms might do well.

Another point Smiths big decline has come since Sanchez has left the locker room.

5. 85inthehall

True very good point - you have to wonder how much guidance he was providing during the week and during the game. He always seemed to be around Smith. Sanchez had a very good grasp of the offense and was probably able to offer Smith in game guidance.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Just think about this for a minute.

What would Bill Parcells do?

His rookie quarterback looks like a deer in headlights, takes four sacks including a spear to the chest, can't convert any third downs, and turned the ball over four times.

Not only would Geno be sitting on the bench at the half but it might take him several weeks to get out of Bill's dog house.

Richie Anderson became a pro bowler when he helped us on our playoff run but he was a proud graduate of the Bill Parcells dog house where he spent more than a year waiting for another chance.

Also, keep in mind that not one player who turned the ball over in the AFC Championship game was on the roster the following year.

7. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Because that's how they are..its the hardest position to grasp and almost all rookie QBs are terrible. Once there confidence is knocked it's a huge problem. Most rookies don't play well.

There has been some exceptions but traditional they don't. Peyton Manning was awful.. and no in no way am I comparing geno smith to peyton Manning. Lol most important position, takes the most time to develop. Reality is most QBs. Don't work out. You have to get lucky

8. chris5533

I don't see a good answer... I'm not a smith fan, I think Simms looked good yesterday... I don't even hate sanchez. I just think its a very tough call as to how to handle when clearly no one is leaps and bounds better than the other guy.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

u are rite - but parcells didn't have a GM in his ear about his second round QB pick.

10. 85inthehall

Manning did have 26TD and 28 INT with 3700 yards playing with a team that was awful the year before.

I think his confidence is already gone - he can't complete simple passes. The guy needs a break.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Huh? Testaverde threw 2 picks in the game.. Martin fumbled once.. and thankfully Parcells kept them on the team and started them the following year. John Hall missed a FG and he was back too. The only guy who Didn't return was Byers but it was because he was old and replaceable not because he turned the ball over in the AFCCG....

Let's not make someone like Parcells out to be someone he wasn't. He wasn't some psycho mastermind that benched/started people based on things like turnovers. People entered his dog house because they were dogging it or couldn't grasp it mentally.
    He was a good coach who played his best players like any other good coach. He'd recognize Geno Smith is best option right now for the Jets as well. You have to work with what you got.

12. chris5533

You may be right.. clearly smith has played awful for 90 percent of the season. I'm basing my opinions on things I have heard nfl QBs talk about. Almost all of them say there first year was brutal the game was to fast and took them a long time for it to slow down. Peyton himself had said he could only make one read his rookie year. He was scared when even walking to the line.

I think finding a quality qb is hard.. I believe most of them are shit. Like somone mentioned earlier pennington was only time in my lifetime we had a young qb that looked like he was going to be special. But ofcourse like my Larry David life with the jets.. he started getting hurt all the time and never got to fully materialize. Lol. I think it's a crap shoot. 1st round or fa sign. You never know what these guys are gonna do.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Richie barely played in 1998 and had his lone pro bowl season catching dumpoffs in 2000 under al groh.

Vinny threw multiple picks, Curtis fumbled yet they were back.

Meggett was gone as was expected, Byars was gone as was expected and Alex Van Dyke who barely played in 3 years for us was gone. basically disposable parts were let go, the others we kept.

14. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

This...this...THIS...and MORE THIS!!!!

I think some fans really lose site of this as they are sitting in their "arm chairs" and yammering on about Geno this or Sanchez that and Simms this or that. It is really really easy to pop off about letting Smith play out the year to see if what we have is our future QB or if that future is riding the pine (Simms) or in the Draft next year. It's REALLY easy to say that Sanchez, with this O.C. and in this offense, would have torn it up this year. IF I had $5 for every IF in this season alone I would be a multi-millionaire.

Every year 52 men and an un-numbered amount of coaches and staff pour their ENTIRE lives into winning. Winning THIS year. Every year is different and you never know who you are going into the season with. Some guys get hurt in the offseason one year and not the next... Some guys arrested...etc..etc...

No one gave the Jets a shot in hell of winning but 3 games or so this year. Now they are 5 and 5...and SHOULD have been 6 and 4. It is debatable if they could have won the game had Geno Smith provided no turnovers and average QB play. The problem with that scenario is he didn't. The point being, every season is a living breathing entity. The fact that we are not only IN the playoff hunt but, in most cases, LEADING to get that 6th Wild Card spot has altered their thinking...at least it should. It is now not about learning what your young, turnover prone, QB can learn. It is not about if we are finding out if he can be our franchise QB. It is about winning now. There are 6 games left in this season and 4 of them are flat out winnable. 9-7, this year, looks like it makes the 6th seed. Especially considering that 5 of those games coming up are against other teams vying for that same playoff spot!

So you have to ask yourselves...and the team has to ask itself...who are you playing the games for...RIGHT NOW? The guys who are in THIS locker room or the guys a year or two down the road? Guys who are not on this team right now. If I'm one of the 52...I do not have to THINK about the answer to that question.

So, do I trot out a guy who has shown zero progression, has 32 total turnovers to his name, 1 TD pass in 5 games or try out the "new" guy in Simms. Maybe even Garrard...that is the question I am asking. RIGHT NOW I don't CARE who gives me the best chance to win in 2014. I want to know who gives me the best chance to make the Playoffs. Where...it has been proven time and time again that any given team with the right hot streak can be the champ. Who can WIN NOW.

If we were Jacksonville and sitting on a couple wins...or Tampa with a couple wins...I'm testing my options. Let's see if Geno is the guy etc...etc... We are NOT. We are thick smack dab, 10 games in, in the middle of the 2013 Playoff Race. And that is the ONLY thing we should be thinking about! I called for Matt Simms to start and was flatly and resoundingly rejected and ridiculed because it was "pre-season" and he was playing scrubs. Even if he did look "more ready" to my trained eye... Well, yesterday, he was brought in and STILL looked "more ready" to my eye AND did what Geno has done in 5 games...threw a TD. More importantly, he didn't turn the ball over. I do not care that he "almost" threw a pick! If Geno had "almost" thrown only 10 picks instead of 20 we'd have 1 or 2 more wins!!

If I'm the other 52 in the locker room...I am asking these questions and pointing out these things...

15. nyjunc

what people seem to miss is that our OC and by extension our HC are allowing Geno to ruin games for us. How quick did we give up on the run game yesterday? we beat NO by making safe throws and running it down their throats but we panicked after falling behind 10-0 and abandoned the run game. That would happen no matter who is at QB, we would have lost w/ geno or Simms yesterday.

The coaches know these players better than any "arm chair yammering" fans so it is easy for the other ones to pop off about playing Simms but the coaches know these players and know if they are ready. How about we let them do their jobs and stop yammering about Simms?

16. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

I think he would bench him. Vinny T. played for all of one quarter the following year and we had Mirer and Lucas for QB's. Parcell's would have done what he did with Dallas ans said at the presser, "Drew Bledsoe is currently the starting QB at this time". Romo started the next game.

17. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Ironically enough...this is NOT true. Sometimes it takes an objective "eye" to point out the obvious. I've known MANY a coach, both personally and from afar, that were so hell bent and "loved" one particular guy over another that talent did not get recognized or one player got passed over for another. No, that cannot be your only basis for argument. THAT is why I recommend looking at the "game" tape. Game tape doesn't lie. There is far more to it. When I talk about "yammering" I'm talking about people who BLINDLY follow one guy over another. I'm not blind. I know what I saw. I also know the game of football. Both from the stands and from the sidelines. I KNOW what I saw from Simms, both yesterday and in the pre-season, and I KNOW what I see in Smith right now. The only difference is Smith has now given us PROOF that he's not remotely close to ready. I have no PROOF on that concerning Simms. But seeing how he "handled" himself yesterday only validates what I SAW in pre-season and emboldens me to clamor for them to give him a shot. That is all I am saying.

18. nyjunc

There's no real game tape on Simms so how does this help?

I don't follow anyone blindly, the blind ones are the mob that was anti-Sanchez even though we'd have 2-3 more wins w/ him right now b/c they blamed him for everything last year.

Smith wasn't ready coming into this year but we had to start him b/c we had no other options and we still don't. If we did he'd be sitting, it may come down to having no choice but to start Simms but it's a HUGE difference from playing preseason or mop up duty in the reg season to starting an NFL game especially next week in a tough place to play like Baltimore.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It is of course silly to take the position that people KNOW Simms could not get it done if given the chance. And citing the depth chart as reason for such a position says nothing. Tom Brady was behind Drew Bledsoe on the depth chart. Until he wasn't. BFD.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There is some merit to your discussion. They did abandon the run.

The worst was in the 3rd quarter. The Jets had the botched punt and nice holmes play to cut it to 20-7. Then they get a quick 3 and out and take over down 20-7 with 6 mins left in the 3rd quarter. This was a great opportunity to slow the game down, take some pressure of the young QB, run the ball and have a nice methodical drive. A TD makes it 20-14 and the Jets are in business.

What's the play call? 3 quick passes. 2 of them to Hill. yikes.