"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

They blitzed him like twice, they were not in off coverage though and still pressed our receivers the whole time. He made some nice throws in tight coverage.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You expecting Geno to suck and the Simms to get some more garbage time?

3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Simms I doubt is the answer, but, I can't take another week of Geno,he get worse as the season goes on.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If Smith plays bad the Jets lose, I expect Simms to be starting the following game.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Stay with what you started the season with. That is, low expectation.

If Jets make it to the playoff, that's gravy.

That said, if Geno keeps turning the ball over at an alarming rate [Nacho had 20 picks and 8 fumbles. Geno is tagged for 16 picks and 7 fumbles, on pace for 26 picks and 11 fumbles. Say hello the old days.] he should get shitcanned too. Just like Sanchez will be.

And if Jets are out of contention, I would say Jets should start Simms. I don't know about you guys, but for me, I have seen enough of Geno. I've seen what he can do and what he can't. I seriously doubt if this team will reach deep in playoff run anyway but that aside, if this team does not qualify, Simms should get the nod. You know - you shouldn't leave any stone un-turned.

I really didn't like QB prospect with Air Raid offense background for a reason... I really hope Jets draft a QB with pro-style offense come draft time. Even if that means Jets end up drafting the back up material like AJ McCarron.

#885 Zach, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  6. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

I'd like to see what Simms can do when its not garbage time.

This team is cursed when it comes to the QB position. Which fucks up everything else.

7. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I'd like to see what he can do when not in garbage time. I'd like to see him start at home against Miami in 2 weeks, because I don't see Rex sitting Geno next week. We may see Simms in garbage time, again, though..

8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Smith plays like this again and you'll get your wish, but he will play again, rex announced he'd be the starter next week.

as fans hope Smith has a comeback and hardly ever looks back, but that if he doesn't the next man up can.

9. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Glad i missed having to watch this game due to work. It is time to give Simms a look see at starter.

10. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Geno has done nothing to make me think he is untouchable- contrarily, Simms has done nothing to make me think he is not worth a fair look in the way of a few starts...

jets season is rebuilding, so evaluate the goddam talent!

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I disagree with rebuilding - they are the 6 seed still, but Smith is not helping the team win games. The running game and defense is. Smith is just taking up space and is a turnover waiting to happen.

Smith moved the ball today and got a TD and another Red Zone shot. The guy deserves a shot - worst case he is as bad as smith - best case he gets the team excited and the offense playing with some fire again. The offense looks dead with Geno.

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Can we stop with the idiotic rebuilding crap.

We had to Actively throw away 3 games, NE,Pitt,Buff, to not be leading tue division, even with injuries, holmes,Keller,Goodson,cumberlandwinslow)

In the NFL there is no rebulding.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

By that logic we can not idly sit by while Geno continues to turn the ball over and lose us games. Until we can prove that Simms does not give us a better chance to win (by playing him and finding out) we are foolish to keep doing the same thing by starting Geno and expecting that anything will change for the better.

14. displacedfan

Yet rebuilding is exactly what the Jets did in 2009 and plenty of other teams do. The rebuilding goes smoother if you hit on a QB who explodes out of the gate or you have a very good team around the QB. If you get both at the same time, you look like something like the Seahawks. The rebuilding is rougher if the QB and team struggles together, like Cam Newton in Carolina.

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'd give Geno another week or 2 and if he continues his shit play then you bench him for Simms.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We lose the next two games then no more playoffs.

If Geno did not play badly enough to lose the starting job today I really hope Simms does the smart thing and finds a team that will give him a chance when his contract is up.

17. displacedfan

I give him the BAL game. If the BAL game is bad, then I might lean to starting Simms.

The confusing thing for the Jets is that you can't really point and say Geno is the only problem, there are other problems too. And the Jets really aren't carrying Geno, if Geno plays bad the Jets lose.

So what happens, and this is a realistic situation, Geno plays a so-so game acting like a game manager and the Jets beat BAL? What happens if Geno plays well but they lose? What happens if he plays bad and then win a close one because Flacco plays worse?

They are in an odd spot because I don't think anyone expected the AFC to be this weak and the Jets in the playoff race. With the playoff spot available, based on whatever internal discussions (or lack of), Rex might think he's coaching for his job and if he can grab the WC, he keeps his job here. The best way to grab that playoff spot is to limit whoever our QB is. The best way to figure out what we have in our QBs is to let them throw. It's a tough spot for Rex and Idzik to navigate. You don't want to throw away a playoff spot, but you also don't want to miss on evaluating what you have at QB and other positions.

This team is way different from 2009 if you remember that team, Sanchez actually couldn't platy a game, and Kellen Clemens just came in and handed the ball off an the Jets thoroughly beat down the Bucs. I don't think the Jets can do that with either Simms or Geno to win a game.

EDIT: And the most frustrating part of it, is that other teams in the Rex era have gotten consistently good to great play from their new QBs in their rookie year, something the Jets have now struggled with in 2009 and now 2013

#897 displacedfan, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

You can only give Geno a half. If he doesn't generate anything on offense in the 1st half you need to make a change. Everyone else seems to doesn't want to be in the playoffs...The Jets have to beat Baltimore and Miami in the next 2 weeks and they are golden. They lose those they are done and they play for the draft.

19. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine Active Member

Not sure if serious...

20. DanR

DanR Active Member

We cant afford to wait a week or two.