Dee Miliner...have I missed something?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Derty, Oct 15, 2013.

1. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. He was not a good pick at 9. In fact....it was a terrible pick at this point.

2. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

MILLNER IS A BUST. Fits our season M.O. Win then Loss Sheldon =Win, Dee =Loss.

3. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

LOL hate to say I told you so, AGAIN, but I told you so.

Go back to draft day threads. Him and Geno I was BESIDE myself.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Maybe Chance Warmack?

Sorry Brian Winters...

5. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

He is a bust at this point - only hope is he can play safety in a situation where his back isn't to the QB as much. Thankfully Richardson worked out so 1 1st rd pick worked

6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

You guys really need to lighten up. There have been plenty of corners who struggle in their rookie years. All is not lost.

7. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

Give him time. it's extraordinarily rare that a cornerback comes into the league and has an impact at the one or the two, right away.

8. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine Active Member

That's what people seem to not want to understand. Cornerbacks develop at a glacial pace compared to other positions and then on top of that we run a system that constantly leaves our conerbacks on an island.

If he played in a basic 2 deep system he would look far better. People on this board really don't understand how much we are asking Milliner to do at such a young age.

Milliner was dominant in college because he always had safety help, allowing him more room to be aggressive and impose his will on receivers.
    Put Deion Sanders in this position as a rookie and i guarantee you he wouldn't be "Primetime".

Rex's system requires smart, experienced CB's that can stick with their man.
    Dee can stick with his man but is obviously not experienced because he is a ROOKIE.

Watch his highlights at Bama, the guy had safety help and dominated. You can't ask a rookie corner to go 1 on 1 no help and expect him to be successful. Look at how Cromartie is getting chewed up and he was a pro bowler...

What Revis did was just unreal. Revis is a once in a decade player. He spoiled us with his ability to take a receiver out of a game with little to no safety help. Not Sherman, Haden, Peterson, Tillman, Joseph, Grimes or Talib can do that for 80% of the game and be as dominant. Last year Sherm was burnt twice when he didn't have safety help. Sherman would be exposed if he didn't have the best Free safety and one of the best Strong safeties always guarding the top.

Milliner needs safety help to ease his transition into the league. What he did in college is different from what Rex demands from him every week.
    You guys were foolishly expecting Revis part deux and now want the kids head, give him a chance to get his feet wet.

This board should be ashamed to give up on this kid considering everything. Other teams would love to have Milliner, he has all the tools to be a shutdown corner but is being asked to carry a heavy burden to just be a rookie.

#428 Mean Green Machine, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  9. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

Milliner missed most of training camp he has played like 6 games this year and the expections here on the board are that he should be playing at an an All Pro level. Some Jets fans on this board are ridiculous.

10. DanR

DanR Active Member

My reaction when Milliner turned his neck while covering the WR:

[​IMG]

Be patient guys.

Actually, you guys should have more patience with Milliner than Geno.

11. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

No one is expecting Revis part 2 but we are expecting a serviceable CB since he was drafted #9. He is showing us nothing and is getting beat by the other teams second and third string receivers. This is more of an issue then just not getting the safety help he needs. He isnt covering ANY route and he has no instincts whatever. Even on the ball he broke up that was floating in the air forever, if he had any ball skills, he would of tried to at least catch it but he was just trying to swipe at it and knock it away. I cant picture any team watching his lack of production and thinking "we would love to have that kid". Get real now. You can keep making all the excuses in the world as you are right now but bottom line, he has showed next to nothing. If he was showing flashes of anything, there wouldnt be as much gripe over him as you are seeing now.

#431 94Abraham, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

His teqnique is wrong it may take a year to find out how he will turn out

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

From what I've seen from Miliner so far, I'm not 100% sure that we wouldn't have been better off playing Joe McKnight at corner this year. :sad:

14. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Anyone hear Rex post game conf??

"I thought dee played very well and will be in the starting lineup"

15. DanR

DanR Active Member

LOL :rofl:

16. Mean Green Machine

Obviously if he is put on an island he will give up underneath throws in order to not get beat deep. The dude has great instincs and awareness actually. that's why he was drafted so high. His 40 time surprised scouts and improved his draft stock. Milliner is a physical DB and as you can see he can't do that because he is always one on one by his self.

The guy has intangibles that you cannot teach. Give him time to find his way.
    Patrick Peterson was far worse as a rookie and look at him now...

17. 94Abraham

Where are these so called great instincts then? He must of left them all at Alabama. If he was only giving up underneath throws, then that would make sense but he is getting beat on every route including the deep ones against bottom of the league receivers. The SAME caliber receivers he would of saw in college last year. Did he just flat out forget to play? If he is so physical, then why is he giving every receiver a 8-10 yard cushion?

If i recall, Peterson had 2 picks in 9 games and was a steller punt returner. How many impact plays do you really see Dee making this year? Fans like you are the same ones that were saying "be patient, Goulston had a good game against Jake Long in college, he will come around".

18. 94Abraham

Rex basically overhypes and overexaggerates every player so thats nothing new. I would seriously hope he doesnt truly think that behind closed doors.

19. Mean Green Machine

Well when you are playing one on one with no safety help, it is standard in football to give cushion so you don't get burned or so that the WR doesn't beat your press at the line of scrimmage.

Milliner is asked in Rex's system to play error free on almost every play and he is a rookie. Do the math. Doesn't add up to anything good.

Now at the end of the day, we will see what Milliner has in the seasons to come. Rookie years are not when you make final judgement on a player, especially a CB.

Look at all the CB's that started off rough and became Stars and look at the CB's who had great rookie years and ended up being trash at cornerback(Devin Mccourty).

20. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Rex's system is very reliant on Corners playing without much help. A daunting task for anyone. In that type of system, you need to draft the corners at least a year before 'need' them.

It hasn't even been a season though. It's tough to say a guy is a complete waste in the first season. They can also move him to safety. There's an old adage that you always frat tackles and move them to guard and draft corners and more them to safety. It tends to hold true.