Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Last nite 11 pm weather guys were giving a headsup about possible snow Wednesday into Thursday,,,,,have things changed on the models Jay or are the weather guys just jumping in late ?

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I really do not see it happening cbg. I heard 3 weather guys mention it too...I just do not see all the pieces falling into place. A huge cold front comes through on Tuesday that will shift the storm south...the cold front is too strong.

Sorry bud...i think by tonight they change their tune on this one. The Euro model backed off yesterday and the american model backed off 2 days ago.

Very very cold temps are a cummin next week.

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

no need to apologize Jay,,,,,,the snow will come soon enough,,,,ps I want to start testing and getting xmas lites up anyhow :up:

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

My friend still has not been able to communicate with people in her home city. She told me she saw pictures of where their house is and the area was destroyed. She talked to them Friday morning before the storm and they checked into a hotel in the city center, problem is she said it was near the bay. I feel so bad for her, her Mom, Dad and 8 year old son are in Tacloban. I just want her to be able to hear something as this is got to be torture. Fortunately her brother in law is in the military and is on his way to Tacloban. Early estimate is at least 100 dead but they think the number could be over 1000.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Death toll exceeded 1200 according to Turkish News Agency. CNN didn't put any number yet saying expected death toll expected to exceed 1000. Prayers for all those that are affected.

6. jaywayne12

This report has over a thousand in one town Barry....this is horrible.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/11/09/strongest-typhoon-year-hits-philippines/

7. jaywayne12

"Among the worst hit areas were the eastern island of Leyte and the coastal city of Tacloban, which saw buildings flattened in a storm surge"

link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24878801

Pray that they got out before the worst.

8. Barry the Baptist

That is her city, I just hope they were either far enough from the water or high enough to avoid drowning as it sounds like that was the major issue. I know they were in a hotel in the city center but most of the city is near the water. I know the hospital survived so hopefully the hotel has sturdy enough to as well.

9. Barry the Baptist

Just got great news, her family is safe. She hasn't spoken to them but she got the news they are ok.

10. jaywayne12

I didnt want to even post Barry...after I saw that was the same town. Went to dinner with my wife tonight and told her about it. We rarely talk about theganggreen site...but tonight we did.

You really just made my night. Thank God...at least with the amount of deaths..I just heard the number might be over 10000 now? Thats 4 zeros...dear God.

But great news.

Real quickly on our front....the cold front coming through on Tuesday morning might be the first dusting of the year for many.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Barry that is great news,,,,,,but my thoughts and prayers go out to all those families,,,,,,,,,,,Jay, as usual keep us posted

12. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Cebu didn't get it bad at all apparently. My relatives are all fine. Thanks for your concern TGG.

Cebu was well prepared for this storm. Electricity was back up in a day.

I was there for Thelma in 91. Dad wanted to go home from my uncle's house during the storm. Weathermen/government didn't think it was going to be that bad. Stupid decision. We were approaching a stop light and I could see one particular tree swaying from a distance. We stop and I'm still looking at that tree...then BAM. Gust of wind blows the tree over and ends up smashing our windshield. I was sitting in front and I blacked out and had cuts all over my body. Next thing I know I woke up the next morning back at my uncle's house with no memory of how I got there.

That was only a tropical storm that picked up strength. Can't imagine all the devastation a CAT 5 typhoon causes..

13. Brook!

Barry, Tali

I almost never talk to my wife about TGG. But I also told this to my wife. She asked me to check TGG this morning and see if you guys posted anything. We are very happy to hear your friends and families are OK.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

good news for you guys!

Also good news that the storm is shitting the bed for this week? whew

15. Barry the Baptist

I talked to my friend this morning and she has spoken to her family in Tacloban. Their hotel which is in the city center did not suffer too much damage. They have lost the roof of their home but structurally it is still intact. Her sister has managed to reach Tacloban and the damage is beyond comprehension. Every tree in the city has been destroyed, bodies are strewn across streets and cars, homes, and buildings are completely destroyed. They think at least 10000 people have died and possibly many more.There is another city to the north that begins with G and has about 20,000 people and nobody has had contact with that city.People have turned to looting as there is no food, water and a severe shortage of medicine.

Most people do not realize how significant this area of the Philippines was to liberating the islands from Japanese control in WW II. MacArthur made his landing in Leyte which is just to the south of Tacloban. The airport in Tacloban was used by US troops to help bring in supplies and defeat Japan. I did not know this myself until my friend told me. Apparently there is a monument for MacArthur to signify his landing and liberating of the Philippines in Leyte.

16. Barry the Baptist

Sadly as more information is coming in she has found out that many friends have lost their lives, she also found out that her aunt, uncle and 3 cousins are among the dead. Her sister is aprt of the medical team and brother in law is part of the military team that distributing supplies and he was nearly killed for the food he had. The situation is dire as the government over there has been extremely slow to respond to the situation.

17. jaywayne12

Wow Barry...that is really horrible news. Very sad.

Prayers for all of them and I had no idea of the history of that part of the country.

Tali. Amazing story...back in 91? Incredible how the storms in that area just explode. Its just a perfect location between ocean temps and island location. Horrible but very happy you somehow survived that bud.

18. jaywayne12

just a quick update here..nothing going on in the future up to 10 days except some people may wake up to some snowy conditions tomorrow morning. The cold front coming through tonight is a strong one...and will be giving some heavy snow squalls on and off.

Areas well up north towards Stowe,VT received up to a foot of fresh power...so winter is coming for us soon.

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

So sorry to hear this, Barry.

Yes, Americans are very unaware of the significance of the Philippines in WWII. That part of the world was of crucial importance to the Japanese Empire because of natural resources. Most of the Filipino elite cooperated with the Japanese and the puppet government, while most of the population remained loyal to the US, with tremendous (and highly effective) guerilla activities (intelligence gathered by the guerillas led to averting a planned trap of MacArthur's forces, and led to complete defeat of the Japanese in the largest naval battle of the war at Leyte Gulf). By the end of the war more than 1 million Filipinos had died, 130,000 from war crimes. A good thing to recall particularly on Veteran's Day.

20. Brook!

I am very sorry to hear this bad news Barry. My prayers for them. May God bless them. My condolences to your friend.