Darrelle Mevis: I'd rather have more $$$ than be with better team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I think he does NOT have such a great contract long term- if Tampa blows up and starts over, they can walk away as far as I understand it.... He'd be better served with more guaranteed and security considering the violence and injury likelihood of the sport.

Time will tell

2. feldspar

feldspar Member

Right.

IMO, if Revis was ALL about the money like some people believe, he wouldn't have signed a contract that guaranteed him ZERO money. Tampa Bay guaranteed him zero dollars. It surprised me that a player of Revis' caliber would sign such a deal that has no insurance against injury or long-term stability.

I think a lot of people want to feel better about losing one of the best players in Jets history in his prime, so they find a way to attack Revis. Football is a business, and to the players it's a job...work. Revis is unquestionably the best at his job, or at least he was before the injury. Of course money plays a major role in everything that happens. There are exceptions, but this is the general rule.

Besides that, the Bucs had a better record than the Jets did last year, so it's not like Revis knew that he was headed towards a team that was going to be worse than the Jets, let alone winless through 9 weeks. The Jets really could not afford to pay him market value, and that's business. By trading him, the Jets made a business decision based on money, too.

If I were him, I wouldn't be crying into my sleeve or second-guessing my situation either. And the guy was TRADED. He didn't trade himself, now did he? The JETS are the ones that sent him packing to Tampa. Why? That's right, money. Why do the Jets get a free pass in this? They'd rather have a MUCH worse player on their team than to pay somebody market value...you could just as easily make THAT claim than attack Revis. Luckily, the Jets organization doesn't post on Twitter.

Like yeah, you can tell Revis' entire mentality from a 4-word post on fucking Twitter. Did you expect him to say that he wishes he was on a different team or something? Yet another example of why Twitter is gay. Some of you are acting like teenage schoolgirls here.

#142 feldspar, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is backwards though. The reason Revis signed a contract with no guaranteed money is that it got him to the number he wanted per annum. He's all about the money.

If he was not all about that per annum number he probably signs a 5 year $60M deal with half of it upfront.

He figured, and probably rightly so, that he was going to get at least the first two years of the deal given the Bucs investment in the trade and that he'd wind up with 2 to 3 years at $16M a year and then likely be a free agent again, looking to maximize his money again.

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It's kind of sad when you see guys like Revis hold out for more money, while other guys on this team are restructuring to help free up more money for other players. It all comes down to the desire to win. Revis doesn't look at it that way. He just wants his money.

He knew this team was rebuilding this year, he knew the pieces we had on defense, and he knew we were likely going to see a new face at QB, but none of that intrigued him. He wanted the money he set in his head and was willing to do anything, like going to a winless team in Tampa, to get it. The saddest part? This guy has made so much money over his career that his kids kids will be set for life. Yet he still wants more.

I miss the sports days when guys played for the love of the game. I'm way too young to have really seen it, but guys like that still do exist. Pedroia, in Boston, is one of them.

5. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Really?? You had me until Pedroia. I don't think there's a baseball player alive that plays for the love of the game unless you're stuck in the minors. He signed an 8 year deal for ONE HUNDRED AND TEN MILLION DOLLARS. And then gave some bullshit speech about how he just wanted to assure them he never was leaving Boston. For the love of the paycheck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

6. MikeSLTJ23

Also to note, football players restructure to make cap maneuvers. They're not usually taking pay cuts unless the team just overly confuses them. In baseball, that's never an issue. Plus, you never know in football when you've made your last play. The average career is like 2 years. Take the money when you can get it. I'm not absolving Revis because I think he's definitely a money grubbing asshole with all the holdouts, but I wouldn't make any professional athlete playing for more than the minimum out to be a saint, ESPECIALLY baseball players.

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Considering the guys talent, he signed a pretty fair deal. Took a lot less than he was being offered out on the market:

Signing bonus: $1 million
    2014: $12.5 million
    2015: $12.5 million
    2016: $13 million
    2017: $15 million
    2018: $16 million
    2019: $15 million
    2020: $13 million
    2021: $12 million

8. MikeSLTJ23

I agree with it being a fair deal. I'm not arguing that. But please please please don't call it for the love of the game. I'm sure he loves playing baseball, but $110 million and a whole city's adoration will help that too. In terms of athletes, he's a very dedicated player, much like a Jeter, but I just can't ever stand hearing people say they're all about the love of the game.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Revis' entire mentality was demonstrated over and over again throughout his Jets career. He was always all about the money - and for him that meant how much he was being paid per season. Revis had to be the highest paid CB and then later the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. He held out three times while a Jet. I believe no other player in NFL history did that.

He was traded because he was in the last year of his Jets contract in 2013 that was ( ignoring the up front guaranteed money he got in 2010) paying him an "insulting" salary of $9 million ( i think) and , coming off the ACL injury the Jets were wisely not going to renegotiate or extend him. Idzik also realized that no CB is worth the money Revis continually demanded. So the Jets got what they could for him rather than have him walk for nothing.

He is NOT paid market value. He is paid way above market for a CB. He doesn't win games, as is obvious from the Bucs performance this year. A CB is a complimentary player. He can only cover one receiver. He may do that better than anybody (not this year), but its not as important as a pass rush and doesn't account for the other 10 players .

He was happy to take his $16 million this year, even if not guaranteed. He was never about winning and was never about leading and never seemed to care about anything other than Revis. This was not learned from his latest tweet, but from his entire Jets career.

When the Jets were a contender and needed leadership in 2010-11, all Revis talked about was his contract and holding out or threatening to hold out.he was a major distraction every year. Good riddance.

10. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

When is enough, enough when it comes to money? Now he is with a team that is 0-9, and he still isn't back to playing cover 1, due to his knee. I wish him well, but I'm glad that he is gone.

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Its not a good deal because we always looked at it that as long as he played up to it the Bucs would continue to pay year after year. Now that the team has collapsed, its a possibility that the new GM might cut him good play or not.

Now I thought for sure that he would get at least 4 years out of it but it looks like now he might not last that much. If im the new bucs gm im cutting him and giving him a smaller contract with guaranteed money.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Revis must love playing in Tampa where no one watches the games and there's only one intern reporter from WKRP at the press conferences. The day after a huge performance by Revis the Tampa Daily back page reads: "Bucs contract with Smith Paving to resurface parking lot C"

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

For a professional whose prime earning years are notoriously short and who is always one play away from being permanently unemployed and/or disabled? I'd say its almost negligent not to get the most money you possibly can at the only time you have the leverage to do so.

The four million extra Revis banked this season might be enough to set up his family for generations. I suppose he should seriously weigh that against how the fans feel.

14. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

OK. And the $16 million the Bucs are paying for those coverage skills have netted them 0 wins. So how important is Revis really even when and if he is playing well???

He is just not worth anywhere near the money he makes given the position he plays. I would not want to pay him more than half of what he makes. QB, LT, LB/DL are all far more important. It is financially insane for an NFL team to pay a CB 1/8 of its annual salary cap.

Again. I am happy he is gone. Sheldon Richardson has contributed more to this team's success in 9 games than Revis ever would have for a fraction of the cost. Give me a pass rush over a cover corner any day and every day.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Nothing, that's what he's supposed to say. Revis probably gets hundreds of tweets directed at him on Twitter, yet he felt the need to respond to that one. Not even from a media member, but a bartender from NJ. He chose to respond to that tweet when he could have easily ignored it. Unless Revis knows the guy (which it seems that he doesn't), then what is there to defend?

#156 LeonNYJ, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  17. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Darrelle, why are you acting like this!! You know this is the only team for you!!
    By saying you prefer money, your just admitting how you lust for us!

;) God I hope he reads this.

18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

How can anybody question Mevi$'s motivation? Didn't his holdouts like clear that up?

19. Footballgod214

Jet Blue, your analogy is pretty good except it misses the part where Company A actually fired him because they got tired of his constant me-me-me attitude plus he suffered a mild stroke and it could be years before he can add two numbers again or remember people's names.

20. Footballgod214

Do we even know what Idzik actually offered Revis to stay long term with the Jets? We all just assume it must have been around $12M/yr fully guaranteed.

In reality I'd be surprised if Idzik offered a penny more than $8-$10M/yr with zero guaranteed. Maybe an incentive heavy contract that could get to $12-$14 (SB MVP, etc), but not his straight up contract.

And I can't see Idzik ever offering Revis a huge signing bonus (again).