Jets Playoff Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

well you must not have been a fan for too long man, or your an extreme optimist which is cool. But, you said it yourself basically, we're only through game 9 of 16...........and an honest assesment of this team is that they are certainly outperforming expectations, but are inconsistent and not a good road team right now......they're not a lock to beat anyone left on their schedule (reality)

again I'm thrilled we're in the hunt, but they can easily be 5-6 after their next 2 games.....then we're back down to earth.

as i've said before, win one of these next 2 and i'll be checking schedules, scenarios and whatnot.

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Thats true but no game is a lock for a loss either. Your assuming losses now, but have we not beaten two first place teams already? how many teams do we play that are the upper teams of the league? none.

3. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

They also have gotten crushed by 40, lost to a shitty Steeler team at home, and got crushed by the Titans = Inconsistent = I will temper my enthusiasm. I'm not assuming losses, but the fact is they've won 1 road game this season against a team that turns out, pretty much sucks.........they have 2 really tough road games coming up, I consider both games tossups at best.

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Indeed. The Pats win was better for our position to win the division, but they were far from healthy at the time. Saints are overall a better / healthier team, so the win was higher quality. If you look at the Pats remaining schedule vs ours, it's very unlikely that they don't win the division at this point. It would require the Jets to beat Buffalo, Baltimore, Miami x2, Oakland & Cleveland, while the Patriots lose to Carolina, Denver, Miami, Baltimore & somehow Buffalo & Cleveland or Houston. This is highly unlikely with the Patriots getting healthy again, so our best is definitely to keep winning and retain the wildcard. The Jets should be able to win @ Buff after the bye. They could even possibly string the next 3 together beating the Ravens & phins. Beating Buffalo on the road will be the first step. This year is far from over but what's that phrase? We control our own destiny from here on out. All we have to do is keep winning and hope that the Titans fall apart. I agree we have to win 2 in a row and break the .500 streak. Finish 2 over .500 and that's a def playoff spot unless the other teams catch fire. Who knows the Chiefs could still lose out too.

The big point of the playoff discussion is that we're 5-4 in the #6 seed right now, after playing 5 really difficult games in a row. In fact it was through the nightmare stretch of the schedule that every one was worried about prior to the season. I never thought we could come out of that stretch 3-2. Most had us at like 3-6 right about now. We're over the hump as far as difficult opponents go. We are now entering the easiest portion of our schedule. Panthers & phins are the only teams I'm really worried about. Ravens are on & off so it depends what time we play them. Cleveland could be a very tough one, too. I guess we'll see. First Buffalo, then the world. I feel confident about beating Buff coming off the bye with 2 weeks prep.

#244 Barcs, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Like I said...shit happens.

Tom Brady could slip in the shower while trying to high-five the ball boy.

A division win is (usually) key.

I'm worried more about the up & down nature of the Jets. I hope they figure it out if they do make the playoffs.

6. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

That's the key I think; if the Jets can be more consistent* down the stretch, they've actually got the edge on the #6 seed (the #5 obviously going to either the Chiefs or Broncos). The competition for the #6 seed isn't that daunting; the Titans, Chargers, Fins, and maybe the Ravens if they actually get their act together. The Fins might be due for a tail-spin, with all the drama in that locker-room, and the Jets will have the chance to deal them losses. The Titans are the most dangerous, since they have the tiebreaker.

*Consistently good, I should clarify. Otherwise the football gods will make them consistently bad just to spite me

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing to keep in mind though is that if you had to pick either the Jets or the field to make that #6 wildcard the odds dramatically favor the field. So, no matter how rosy things look right now the reality is that the Jets have probably a 25% shot at getting that 6 seed in the end.

If both wildcards were still up for grabs things would be a bit more favorable but as it stands whoever gets hot in the second half of the teams still in contention is likely to get that 6 seed.

The Jets have a chance to be that team.

#247 Br4d, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I really dont think consistency matters. The Ravens went into the playoffs losing 4 of there last 5 games. The Giants in 2011 did not put together a 4 game win streak all year yet when they got into the playoffs they won four straight. When the Saints won they went into the playoffs losing 3 straight.

Just get into the playoffs and make the plays when it counts the most. Nothing really matters, we have seen teams go in looking horrible and winning it all and we have seen teams going in on 11 game win streaks (09 Chargers, 2012 Broncos) and getting knocked out in the first game.

9. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

What those teams have in common that our team doesn't? They all had QB's who were well established, and WR who made plays.. BIG plays.
    Yeah, I'm extremely happy about our season so far, I am. I love proving the haters wrong and surprising the world. BUT our offense is far from a playoff offense. Far from a consistent offense. Far from a good to even a decent offense.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Blah. That's true of anybody currently in a #6 position. The field is always favored because there's more teams in the hunt, than in the position. Doesn't really indicate whether they will or won't make it or what the percentage chance is. I'd say the fact that our most difficult games are behind us would increase our chances some no?

#250 Barcs, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Tampa Bay is 0-8. Atlanta and Pittsburgh are 2-6. I think the early interpretation of our schedule was a bit skewed by 2012 records and 2013 pre-season hype.

I think Miami home-and-home is a very tough part of our schedule to come, given Rex is 3-5 against the Fins. I think the game in Buffalo has the potential to be rough, given that we won the game in MetLife and it's a division game that the Bills will not look past. The game in Baltimore is definitely going to be a tough game to win, despite the Ravens early season struggles. The game at Carolina is going to be tough.

I think on paper it looks like the Jets could easily win 3 games the rest of the season and wind up 8-8.

Just pointing out that if *you* decide that the Jets are going to get that wild card based on being in the 6 seed going into week 10 and they fail then the expectations gap is on you not them.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I agree that they could very well only win 3 games, but there is also a very good chance we go 4-3 and go 9-7 (which will most likely get the 2nd WC). Like you've been saying the past couple weeks, whatever team involved in this cluster of teams fighting for that 6 seed gets hot, will most likely win it. Lets hope its us.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I love playing Miami in Miami late December. There will be as many Jets fans in the stadium as Dolphin fans. This is almost like an extra home game.

The key to this second half is we have a bye, be ready to go against Buffalo. If we come out flat and blow that game it sets us up to have a bad second half. Win that game and the Jets are set up to have a good division record and a real shot to do some damage.

14. joykilla

joykilla Member

What a time to play miami in the upcoming weeks. With the news that coaches were involved in the hazing and their left side of the line gone on an already bad line (tannyhill is #1 in times sacked) and our top 5 dline. There really should be no way they beat us even if they are talented in other areas.

15. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Good point. I honestly would not be surprised if the Dolphins do not win a game the rest of the season. They have a MAJOR distraction hanging over their heads, and you cannot win in the NFL with a poor O-Line. The Jets will beat them twice, I have every reason to believe so.

16. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

There's been times before where the Dolphins had no business beating us and we fucked it up so we gotta wait and see fellas lol

17. BookEndTackles 72&79

All the more reason to win the Buffalo game coming up. Win that game and all the Jets have to do is split with Miami and they own the tiebreaker over the Dolphins due to division record.

18. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

If we want to even discuss playoffs this next Buffalo game is a must win, we need to keep the strangle hold on that 6 seed and it looks like EJ Manuel will be back for that game. It would also be great for us if Miami can lose one for us.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I think Miamis fate (and maybe even ours) will come down to our 2 games vs them. However, I love how things are spiraling out of control for them right now. Couple that with how RT leads the league in getting sacked and a weak Miami O-Line we should be okay.

20. BookEndTackles 72&79

The crop of teams isn’t nearly as abundant as it looks right now so the odds are higher than 25%. From the Jets perspective most of the teams in the field really aren’t contenders since they will be playing each other head to head and as long as they take care of their own business it won’t really matter much what the other teams do. They are in the drivers seat against any team except for the Titans. Let’s assume the field is any team which currently has 4 or 5 losses. Exclude the Texans who have 6 losses. Exclude the Bills and Steelers who both have 6 losses with one getting #7 this Sunday as the play each other.

Say the Jets go 4-3 the rest of the way and finish 9-7 in the following manner. Wins vs. Browns, Raiders, Bills, Dolphins. Losses vs. Ravens, Panthers, Dolphins. Their division record would be 4-2 and conference record would be 6-6.

Browns 4-5, Raiders 3-5, Ravens 3-5. The Jets would win a tiebreaker vs. all of these teams and give them a 6th loss since they play all these teams head to head. The Jets beating any one of these teams forces these teams to win out if the Jets go 9-7. Even if the Ravens beat the Jets they still have to go 5-2 against a murderous schedule the rest of the way (CIN, @Cin , PIT, NE, @Det, @Chi, MIN) to win a 9-7 tiebreaker so if they are gonna lose an AFC game let it be vs. Baltimore.

Dolphins 4-4. This is why the Buffalo game is important to the Jets hopes. If the Jets beat the Bills and split with the Dolphins they own a tiebreaker based on division record. Fish are already 0-2 in the division and can also lose @Buf or vs. NE to assure them 3 division losses. Other games they play are vs. SD, @Pit, CAR, @Tampa.

Chargers 4-4. Can’t be too worried about them with that brutal schedule. DEN, @KC, @Den, KC, OAK, NYG, CIN, @Mia. A Jets/Chargers tiebreaker comes down to conference record. Currently, SD is 2-3 and the Jets are 2-4 Assuming the Jets 9-7 scenario plays out as mentioned above SD needs to go at least 4-3 vs. that brutal AFC sked and beat the Giants at home to tie the Jets in conference record at 6-6. Next tiebreaker is strength of victory which is impossible to get into right now.

Titans 4-4. The team to be most concerned about as they own the tiebreaker over the Jets and have a soft schedule. They play the Jags twice so give them two wins for the sake of argument putting them at 6-4. That means they would need to go 2-4 against the following stretch of games to finish at 8-8 and behind the Jets: @Indy, @Den, @Oak, ARI, INDY, HOU. That could be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.