Darrelle Mevis: I'd rather have more $$$ than be with better team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back to this team at some point in his career. Revis' skill set is more valuable on the Jets than any other team in the NFL due to Rex's scheme--just not $16 mil valuable. Once the Bucs dump him (which they inevitably will if they have a GM with half a brain), I have no problem with adding him back into the roster at the right price.

On another note, everyone seems to forget that not only was Revis the best cover corner in the NFL, he's also an elite tackler in space. He's about as good at protecting the perimeter against the run as any DB in NFL. Definitely not a one-trick pony.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

No Revis made Revis.

Wrong.

If you mean Rex made it a point to increase Revis's perceived value to the league and made it virtually impossible to deal with him, yes I agree.

Rex called Revis the best cover corner in the league based on Revis's play before he was ever in Rex's system. Does that mean Rex thinks Mangini made Revis. Revis was NFL ready the day he walked into the NFL.

Rex didn't make Revis, Revis made himself through great talent and hard work.

When you're girlfriend dumps you the classy thing to do is say nice things about her and move on. You sound like you were jilted by the best thing you ever tasted.

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Revis = Aso 2.0

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

You can't win with him, 15% of your cap cannot be spent on a defensive player. He does not impact the game 15% I'm sorry.

5. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

His stats nearly double in Rex's system. 74 tackles is not a number you should want a corner to have either. I think Rex made Revis, but if Revis made Revis he should bounce back eventually; right?

Keep it classy Biggs, the best is still to come :up:

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Revis forces DC to play a certain type of defense. Fyi

7. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

Can't fault him for taking the money, honestly. I wish he were in green and white, but business is business.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He had a devastating injury and playing press corner the way he did may never happen again? I suspect he plays at a high level but we probably saw the best of him in 08, 09 and 10. It was a great move to get what we could for him and I suspect that move was made in spite of Rex not because of Rex.

9. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Reassigned to DC where he belongs.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

He's proven he cares more about $ than he does about anything else long before he tweeted.
    This is exactly why I don't want this guy and am glad he's gone.

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

He wasn't a Jet, just watch his post game interviews. He really was on his own island.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the only thing he can be judged on are the words he said. your opinion of his motivation doesn't supersede that.

of course leaving for another job doesn't mean you don't want to be successful. that isn't even a relevant argument.

now, if you leave for another company, and that company's sales plummet, and someone asks you whether you would prefer to make less money at your old company that is successful, or make more money at the company that is failing, and you say you would prefer to make more money at the company that is failing, then obviously success is not your motivation.

but you left out that significant requirement to make the relevant argument. leaving the Jets didn't mean that Revis doesn't care about success. saying he would prefer to make more money than win more games means he doesn't care about success more than money.

so now your entire argument is based on saying your opinion of his motivation is more important than what he actually said, and then making a poor argument that either dishonestly leaves out the key dynamic of the situation or doesn't grasp the difference, and thus is a piss poor analogy with zero merit.

13. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

If its the best pass rusher in the league i think you can pay 15%

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Not sure but in my view the NFL is about yards given up vs yards gained. in that terms

Offense 45% impact
    Defense 45% impact
    Special Teams 10%

A qb is worth 15% of your cap because he impacts the offense about a 1/3. I'm sorry but 15 percent of your teams sources can not go to a CB that at most impacts the game 10%.

15. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

Are we still talking about Revis? The best thing he could've done is not respond at all, but what's done is done. He was most likely saving face for the Bucs.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

except his reply was specifically about the money; he didn't address the coaches or the team. how does saying he would prefer the $16 mil have anything to do with the Bucs?

you have to ignore what he actually said to come to that conclusion.

17. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I don't blame him for thinking 16m is better, that's a business decision for him and his family so I can never hate on that. Should have not hit send though on that tweet, sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut.

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I've lived my life knowing that sometimes the best thing to say is nothing.

Revis should've adopted this philosophy and went back to counting his millions...

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

at least he can put food on the table and feed his family......

that may have been a problem with 12 mil

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That was long ago in NFL time...