Darrelle Mevis: I'd rather have more $$$ than be with better team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Nov 4, 2013.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Actually, if he continues on this pace then no...he will be removed from HOF talk.

This year is pedestrian, at best, for Revis. Here's a link to his career stats to date: http://www.nfl.com/player/darrellerevis/2495717/profile

He will be forgiven this year due to the injury from last year. Next year is where you'll have to pay attention. Does he recover?? Time will tell. Also, how the Bucs play will make a huge impact. In this day and age it's a heck of a lot easier to get into the hall when you were a part of a winning team. Not always the barometer but it's getting harder and harder to get in on just your own stats unless they are eye popping.

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Sneeky suspicion he won't be in Tampa for long,.... 49ers, Bengals....Pats!!??

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

:lol: at calling Revis a minimalist. I mean come on. Revis talked many times about helping the other guys review video and helping them improve. I can't believe people are this butthurt about Revis saying the PC thing here. This is like your typical anti Jets article of the off season, it means absolutely zero about his intentions. Durrr, he never wanted to win! Excuse me if I call blatant bullshit on that.

His quote doesn't mean he doesn't care about winning. We know he wants money, but obviously he wants to win as well. If he even hints at being willing to take a paycut to play on a winning team it kills his market value. He ain't stupid.

#63 Barcs, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Could you please find me another NFL player that has tweeted negatively about his own team or suggested he'd rather be elsewhere and make less money? The only baseless possibility being perpetrated is the one saying this means anything beyond Revis sticking up for the team. The Bucs are fine for the future, though, they just need a competent head coach. Obviously Revis wants to win but he's not going to kill his market value. He knows football, but he also knows how to market himself.

#64 Barcs, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

The tweet was probably deleted by now. Maybe he didn't even type it. Nonetheless, what is he supposed to say? He can't bring more heat onto Tampa Bay.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I want guys on this team who want to be here.

Guys who bleed green.

Say what you will about Cromartie but we tried to ditch him fro Asamough and he still wants to be a Jet for life.

That is the kind of guy I want on the team.

You can keep Revis.

7. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

but lets be honest here, you would switch to a different fanbase for 4 million dollars

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you can't judge a corner by stats. he's having a good year this year. maybe not 2009 or 2010 but he's having a good year. He just needs good seasons and he will be a lock as the seasons he had already are some of the best all time in NFL history. he will be back to normal next year a year removed from surgery and rehab.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Saying he wound rather have the money instead of winning is the opposite of the PC thing. Politically correct is saying what people want to hear and what people want to hear is that you want to win.

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I say Dallas or San Fran

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Except you are ignoring the fact, to make your position relevant, that you would also be offered 12 million to remain a jets fan. I would stay a jets fan for 12 than become a bucs fan for 16, so it isn't an issue of $4 mil or jets fan for free.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Revis has the advantage in today's football world of the massive PR of the NFL. Revis rightly or wrongly has been blown up by the NFL PR machine as the greatest cover corner of all time. I think if he walked away from the game today he is almost a lock HOF player.

Now if he has several pedestrian years that might change some minds but don't underestimate the NFL network, ESPN and the in your face NFL marketing machine may have already guaranteed Revis a spot.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Revis is the best cover corner I have ever seen and that includes deion, Green or whoever else you want to throw out there. Deion was the better playmaker w/ the ball in his hands but I have never seen a corner dominate his position(especially in the modern NFL where all the rules are slanted towards the offense) the way revis has. He'd have to be bad for many years to miss out on the Hall.

14. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I've got to get my name changed...

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

DarrelleRevis,Greedy?

16. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

A guy who had a serious injury to his money maker is glad to be making more money? Shocking.

I want guys to risk bodily harm for free, because they love the Jets.

17. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

He's still playing at the top of his game.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Same.
    His physical tools, football smarts are the best I've ever seen certainly in a CB.
    It would be a shame if we never saw that same player again.

19. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

There isn't one single person that does such a thing on the team.

Revis was offered $12,000,000 a year to "risk bodily harm". Nothing free about that for us.

20. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Same here, buddy.

If Tampa cuts him next year and we get a chance to sign him for $12 mil, would you guys do it?