Darrelle Mevis: I'd rather have more $$$ than be with better team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This exact scenario plays out year after year with tons of lesser known players. Teams are always squeezing players forcing pay cuts or not paying to resign FAs. Landry is another example of a player strolling away from a low ball offer moving onto 'greener' pastures.

2. tlef316

tlef316 Member

Hasn't Brady done this twice?

Tom Brady's 2005 contract: (after 3 superbowl wins) $60 mil, 6 years, $26 mil guaranteed - approximately $10 mil per year.

He took 3-4 million a year below market value (Vick and Peyton signed bigger deals around the same time, despite the fact that they had already banked # 1 pick money in comparison to brady's rookie deal)

Revis is insecure and is all about the silly, arbitrary, meaningless "honor" of being the top paid CB in the league. If senile Al Davis hadn't done what he did with Aso, this whole situation with Revis would never have happened.

3. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Fuck him. He's really starting to piss me off.

4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

He should've ignored the tweet. But, whatever, he simply confirmed what most people suspected anyway.

Having said that, it's a business and he's treated it as such before even stepped one toe on an NFL field. The more fans expect the players on their favorite team to be as loyal and as passionate as they are, we'll continue to be disappointed in them...

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

"The Revis Jinx" is real.

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

But but but.... You can't trade the best player on your team! Lol

7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Only in your mind pulled out of an ass completely baseless possibility is more probable than actual answer supported by years of observations.

8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Your dream year would be if Rex was fired.

9. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Tom Brady never took a discount. He reworked his contract but he never lost money because of it.

If I had the chance to make 16 million a year I'd take it. No player takes hometown discounts if they can get a lot more somewhere else.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I hope Revis stays healthy, but I hope the Bucs don't win a game this season.

11. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

It was mentioned above but worth mentioning again, Brady took no less money, he actually just got more up front as guaranteed cash.

"please briar fox, don't throw me into the briar patch!" :grin:

Id love to hear about players taking real hometown discounts in their prime, but that animal doesn't exist.

12. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

This is what pisses me off so much.

Fuckin Al Davis.

13. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

By the way, the overpaid and screwed the market for CBs Asomugah was RELEASeD by the niners.

14. NFL

NFL Active Member

He shouldn't have said anything. I agree, he shouldn't bash his own team, but he basically says that he doesn't care about winning, since that's pretty much what the tweet is about.

Either way, your right. He's fighting for $4 more million a year that he probably won't end up spending in his lifetime. If he rather have that and lose, then so be it. Glad he's gone, that's for sure.

15. NFL

NFL Active Member

To me its not completely about the mentality, although he clearly could care less about winning.

To me it's helping your team off the field. You need to have the best players possible around your team. Making $16 mil a year as a CB when you don't impact the game so much is huge. He worked extremely hard to earn the money, but why does he want to be the most paid defensive player in the NFL, even if he is the best defensive player? You don't impact the game as much as a QB, or a 15+ sack a year pass rusher.

Joe Flacco got a huge contract this offseason. He did great things to earn it, but if you look back behind that playoff run, he's been a good QB, but not $20 million + great. When you get paid that much, you can't expect to have all star talent around you, and you better be making those decent players around you really good players. Flacco isn't that type of QB, so now the Ravens struggle.

16. NFL

NFL Active Member

Right now, yeah. But if Tampa Bay keeps him, and they go into a multiple year rebuild, with the very little attention that they get, I think people start talking less and less about Revis. Even if he still is playing at a high level, if he ends his career losing a bunch, and with other CBs playing at a high level and entering their prime (Sherman, Peterson, Milliner) he'll get less and less attention, to the point where he is remembered a great player, but not a HOF player.

That's how I think it would go, but I can obviously be completely wrong.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We knew all this about Revis when he was a Jet. He's always been focused on the money.

1. Held out as a rookie when he really should have been just happy to get into camp.

2. Held out in the year when everybody was buzzing about the Jets Super Bowl chances because the off year in his first contract was here and he wanted more money.

3. All the talk about Revis in the 2012 off-season was about how the contract he signed wasn't really meant to be taken seriously and he should get more money. People were still talking about this as the Jets training camp showed us a team unlikely to do much.

4. Happy as a clam making $16M a year on a terrible team.

Darrelle Revis is a great CB but I don't want him anywhere near the Jets again. He sets a terrible example for his team mates when he makes his money the #1 topic around him all the time and disrupts team activities in the process.

I'm not at all surprised the Bucs have collapsed. Half the guys in that locker room are probably thinking about their money all the time now that the lead merc is there with them.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Whoa whoa they play the Dolphins on Monday. Go Bucs! :) :up::rofl::metal:

19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Revis

DR seems like a nice young man. He earned his money and went through major surgery. The real question is why would anyone pay a corner like a Quarterback. Revis may be the best at his position but QB's and wide receivers win games in today's NFL. His team is 0 and 8. Remember that when a defender asks for QB money next time around.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

"Mevi$" is never not funny.