Darrelle Mevis: I'd rather have more $$$ than be with better team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Yep- Revis is 100% about the money.

Hypothetically, if he could be guaranteed to win 3 Super Bowls and in one of them be the Super Bowl MVP (with 4 pick sixes, a sack, 5 pass deflections, and no yards allowed- against a surefire future Hall of Fame QB like Tom Brady or Payton Manning) and make $15m per year- OR make $18m per year and be guaranteed to lose every game, that would be an easy no-brainer for him. He'd take the $18m one without a second thought.

One thing that's kind of stupid about his strategy is that he apparently doesn't understand that if he had stayed with the Jets and got $12m a year including lots of guaranteed money, he'd have been able to get more endorsement deals that would bring him close to or over the $16m mark. He could've had a post-football career like Michael Strahan if he'd stayed with the Jets, been clearly the best CB ever, and helped the team win a Super Bowl. There's no doubt. He'd have set himself up to make $5m - $10m a year from ages 36 to 70 or 80 or whenever he wanted to retire. And had his $12m/year Jets salary ~70% guaranteed, for 6 years.

But to Revis, the most important thing is having the highest defensive salary in the NFL. Championships don't matter. Winning doesn't matter. Future endorsement deals don't matter. All that matters is Revis making as much money as he can during his NFL career, and playing at a level that ensures that some team out there will be willing to pay that much (even if that then prevents that team from having enough good players to be competitive as an entire team.)

2. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

A great player with a loser mentality. Have fun with your $ cause you play for the worse team in football. You reap what you sow old friend.

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Absolutely, he's still having a very good year.

He's just not playing in the system he wants to be in.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Revis works too hard and plays too well for a player who is just in it for the money. Maybe he really would rather have $16 million and be (0-8) than get $12 million and play on the NFL's best defense (which they would be if he was on it), but I doubt that. I think he wishes he was still a jet. How could you not? With our D-line, Revis would be having a field day.

5. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

That is the question. Certainly, not with the "star" play he has shown this season, or lack there of. 0-8 team and little instrumental value, Hall of Fame? yeah right :breakdance:

Better question how valuable was Rex system to Revis? Rex, obviously figured out ways to make adjustments without old 24. Revis, looking shaky on the weak knee.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I have no problem with a professional athlete playing for money. It's pro's playing for money who dog it on the field that bug me. Revis has always been about the money. Unlike other players Revis played up to his contracts. I got no problem with him preferring to be on the Bucs at 16 million then being on the Jets for 12 million.

Is Randi Moss to be applauded for going to the Pats at a discount to try and put a SB on his resume at the end of his career?

How about James for kicking the Cavalier fans in the balls over his quest for a title?

I applaud Revis for going to a downtrodden organization and believing he could make a difference. The Bucs need something to root for, we don't. We have a good team.

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This proved my thoughts exactly, this guy NEVER cared about winning here. He didn't, he did the minimum of his job which was to be a cornorback. I never saw him as a Ray Lewis type motivator or a type of guy going above and beyond what the Job asks for. Revis did his job and was prolly the first to leave the building and prolly had little contact with his teammates. Yes I understand each player has to worry about themselves but this guy NEVER gave 2 shits about the "Jets".

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree, but that worked out fine for him. That is the one position you can be selfish and not hurt the team. He was on Revis Island shutting down the opponent's best WR. He did that, allowing the other 10 players a better chance to succeed.

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the love Rex had for him. The confidence Rex had in him. The lofty place Rex put Revis in his system.

Revis has got to have love for Rex Ryan. If bad things continue in Tampa, which is probable, the $16mil has got to become less valuable. Especially if you are a real player on a "Hall of Fame path".

Imagine the regrets, you sold your soul bro, for what? :breakdance:

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I wanted to unload him on his second hold out but this is pure nonsense. Revis clearly came to play in great physical condition with incredible mental preparation. If half the players on the Jets prepared themselves physically and mentally to play at the level Revis played week in and week out the Jets would have won a SB.

Revis clearly went above and beyond, he was the best player at his position in the NFL and compares favorably with some of the historically great players at his position. Revis did everything right when it came to football.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I swear this year was xmas: we traded the selfish bitch and Mark was out for the year. It really couldn't have been scripted any better.

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I'm not questioning his personal work ethic, this guy was not a leader though. To me it was 52 players + Revis. Revis did his job great but to me he never cared about the team as a whole. If we won he didn't care, if we lose he didn't care, as long as he did his job and got paid he was happy. I remember after the AFC championship game in Pitt guys like Jason Taylor were litteraly heart broken and crying while Revis did not seem affected at all. I remember just watching his post game interview and the way he was speaking it didn't bother him at all the season was ending. Yes he showed up to play but the guy was not a teamate. You can't win with him.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

todays players don't get this and have no vision past the 3-4 year deal they sign. but you are dead on. a star palyer ho is also a good guy and marketable can make alot more over more time by giving a hometon discount and staying with the same team for their careers. the problem is the contract has become a sort of scoreboard for the players to rank themselves and who doesn't want to be #1?

14. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

I totally agree with you that he had to be mindful and chose his words carefully, but he definitely could have answered in a much less 'incriminating' manner. He could have simply said something like "it's been a rough go of it thus far, but I enjoy being a Buc and look forward to turning this thing around." Everyone would have known he was full of sh*t, but he would have saved himself of looking like the money hungry douche that he is. Instead, he chose to come off as the spiteful, out of touch millionaire athlete that we've all come to know and appreciate :).

It's such a shame too because money aside, he was such a great Jet. Don't get me wrong, these guys deserve the right to try and get all that's coming to them. However, at the end of the day, legacies are not built on how much total money they made, but whether or not they were "winners." Sadly, Revis chose the former rather then the latter.

15. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

A few minor (or not so minor) points:

1) During the offseason, the Jets were supposed to be in shambles and the Bucs were a secondary player or two away from being contenders, so he wasn't looking into a crystal ball knowing the Jets would be 5-4 and the Bucs 0-8. He probaly thought what the media thought, that the teams would be in opposite situations.

2) There is no state income tax in FL. Zero. So 16m there is really vs. around 11m in NY. Also it's easy to just say 'once you hit Xm, it's all the same', but I can guaran-f-ing-tee you that if given the choice I would take the extra FIVE MILLION DOLLARS and go live in always warm Florida with no state tax. And that's 5m per year as long as they keep re-upping.

I don't begrudge him one bit to get a bunch more money to play in what he thought was a better situation. It sucked that we couldn't make it work (more like it sucked that another team was willing to shackle themselves with such a big contract for a CB), but that's the way the chips fell. I can't think of one player that took a real 'hometown discount' to stay with their team during their prime. Not one.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard about Revis in highlights or anything? The man is just raking the $$$

17. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

Watch Tampa dump him after the season and we sign him back for 12 mil a year

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'd love that but it's more likely he signs w/ NE or Mia than us.

19. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

I think he loved it here really. He wants back if he could, he just can't admit it. It would make him look more like an asshole. Also he definitely loved Rex too, definitely more than schiano

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wouldn't mind if he went to Miami. Tie their entire cap to Mike Wallace and Darrelle Revis :grin: