Lets Address the Elephant in the Room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We desperately need a couple of big time WRs for the future imo.

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Some of you need to take the long view with this team. Unlike the Tanny years, the Jets are not on a one year need to win now plan. Idzik is building a team and it is still under construction. Being 5-4 at this point is gravy and is a testament to the CS . To whine about obvious personnel deficiencies is petty. Enjoy the ride. This team is not winning the SB. This year was about building a foundation and filling some holes. Mission accomplished.

3. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

This pretty much sums it up

4. BroadwayGeno

BroadwayGeno Member

We need to draft at least two receivers and a TE

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

(False). It doesnt help when Hill is 6'4 yet cant go up and locate the ball. he might as well be 5'9. He doesnt use his height at all and can not go up and extend for the ball. On every single one of his long catches, the ball must be dropped in the bread basket where Hill then traps the ball against his chest (sometimes he even adds an uncoordinated looking jump, but doesnt extend his arms).

You see a rookie like DeAndre Hopkins who is only 6'1, but he has a much bigger catching radius because he high points the ball and can extend for the catch. Its a critical trait that most receivers need to be able to do.

Have you ever realized why we have not thrown a single fade or jump ball to Hill who is 6'4 and has a 40 inch vert? Its because he cant high point the ball. He must trap it with his body. His height is useless.

6. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Yup. He can run a 4.3 40, but he's also not fluid whatsoever. His big body is nice for slants where he can box out the defender, but he never extends his damn arms.

7. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

The team is going to have something like $40 million to spend next year and something like 12 draft picks. They have some serious holes at WR and TE and they need a lot more depth at WR, TE, S and LB. Rex Ryan's defense would also be much better with a stud Safety who creates fear for receivers crossing in the middle of the field and that should be a key free agent target. I expect that with $40 million and those picks, the jets should have more than enough to address all of their holes and, with the continued development of Geno and the youth of the team, they could be a legitimate SB contender for many years. Just have to be a little patient now.

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

we coulda shoulda drafted alshon jeffrey

9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

And Gates. And Ivory for much of the season.

Our offense is made of glue and duct tape, but somehow we are 5-4. It's unbelievable really, and I'm just enjoying the ride. With all of our draft picks and salary cap room, brighter days are coming!

Oh, and I found your elephant,

[​IMG]

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

One thing did piss me off yesterday, our last two possessions NO completely sold out to stop the run. literally everyone was up front or in the box, they had one safety deep. that's when you gotta see what Geno is made of and let him throw the damn ball.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Oh, man, it's drowning. I hope there's another one out there somewhere.

12. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I was at the game and focused on Hill and the safeties quite a bit. Hill had 1 on 1 coverage with 0 safety help 75% of the game. Its hard to say he wasnt open but didnt appear like Geno looked his way and i cant recall one play where Hill was the primary option. Jets played this game like they had to for the win by running running and running some more. Hill will have some opportunities after the bye against a suspect secondary and a not so great defense.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Funny after all that said about the passing game we still beat the Saints. Of course the passing game is going to struggle with your #1 and #2 WRs AND tight ends out along with your best pass catching RB. There is no elephant, we need this bye week to get us healthy. Kerley, Holmes & Cumberland could very well be back in the mix next week. Winslow will be back as well. MM has done a very good job making something out of nothing. He actually understands what it means to attack a team's weakness. Although that one goal line sequence from the 4 reminded me of Schotty. The rushing game was looking good and he went away with it (2 of 3 passes from the 4 yard line) and we had to kick the FG. We can't blow opportunities like that.

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's an elephant in the room, we all knew there were going to be ups and downs throughout this season. What we have learned is that Rex and MM and the rest of the CS have coached the hell out of this team for the first 9 games.

IF, and it's a big IF, we can come out of the bye with Cumberland and Holmes healthy, I think we'll see more of the passing game and hopefully Hill more involved.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not going to pet the big gray beastie on a happy week long vacation from the games.

17. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Cribbs has been an awesome wrinkle thrown in there. I now feel like our KR is somewhat threatening and the Wildcat with him has been good for keeping the defense honest and taking some heat off Geno.

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Jets seem to be reeling Geno in...no more deep passes -- his 8 completion travels 7 yards and the best passing play of the day was made by Cribbs.

Hill is invisible more because of Smith not being able to look his way for some reason -- really does seem to be locked onto Nelson on most plays.

If they aren't willing to take some chances deep teams will just sell out on the run. In two weeks Holmes, Cumberland, and Winslow are back - if SMith can't improve his passing it will be a huge red flag for his future.

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

We faced one of the worst run defenses in the league. Why would you throw it down field when you gain 190 yards on the ground?

Smith has an insane ypa so far. I'm not worried at all about him throwing the ball down field. That wasn't the game plan. Not to mention, like you said, he was missing all of his weapons. I think the least of our worries is his long ball

20. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

He's not drowning! Elephants use their trunks as snorkels, he's breathing from the surface even though his body is almost entirely underwater.