Lets Address the Elephant in the Room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

We are all on a serious high right now after that victory against the Saints. Who would have thought that the New York Jets would be 5-4 going into the bye, with a wide open path to the playoffs?? With that being said, lets address a serious issue here.

Our passing game is horrendous. We are not going to be rushing for 175+ yards every week its just not going to happen. There will be games when the run is shut down... When this happens we are royally fucked. Hill cannot get any seperation, Kerley could possibly be out for the rest of the season, we cannot rely on Holmes to be on the field for any sustained period of time and David Nelson is our best reciever.... Who knows when Cumberland is going to be back, and Kellen Winslow is a headcase..

The only reason we won this game yesterday is because of our defense, most notably our defensive line. They will not play like this every game (see Cincy, Titans). When the defense has bad games, and the run game is not working, we are going to need Geno and these recievers to step up. Geno is up and down like a rollercoaster... If teams get a 14+ lead on us, I don't see us winning. Really wish we took a shot on Josh Gordon last week...

Another point I want to make.. What the fuck is up with MM playcalling? Ivory runs for 50+ yards on a play, and then you take him out the game... Ivory is the type of player that you need to keep feeding the ball.. I know you want to switch between Ivory and Powell but if one of them is hot, keep them in the fucking game!!!

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Elephant in the room is that teams that are strong in the trenches, teams that can block and tackle win games in the NFL. The Jets have plenty of flaws but they can block and they can tackle and we are seeing that formula win games. No different then in 09 and 10.

3. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

That and lack of weapons on offense. Hopefully everyone is ready to go after the bye. A TE would be a welcomed addition. We get two back go into Buffalo.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I've seen Geno carry us when the run game was shut down (Bucs game). Can he do it again is the question, hope we don't have to find out.

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

We got Holmes, Cumberland, and Winslow back. Hopefully the Pluses outweigh the losses like Kerley.

6. Jay Bizniss

I agree, but at some point you are going to have to put points on the board. Going against the Colts/Broncos/Patriots/Bengals who can all easily put up 30+ points is going to be a problem come playoff time if we make it there.

7. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

He just ripped off a big run, put the fresh legs out there for a play or two. No issue with that.

8. Jay Bizniss

Yea but it wasn't only that run.. It seems like every run he had, he was taken out the game soon after... This guy gets stronger and stronger as the game goes on.. You gotta let him go out there and play..

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You make it you get some guys healthy and on the same page and you put a game plan together and make a run.

We put 26 points on the board yesterday. That's not bad.

10. Jay Bizniss

And the playcalling when we were on the goal line and ended up kicking a field goal.. I wanted to rip my eyes out... Within the 5 yard line, you give the ball to Ivory every single down... MM sometimes tries all this trick shit fuck that... Ivory is a monster go out there and use him..

11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2815674&postcount=13

This guy. Just couldn't have predicted the wins we got and those we didn't.

Our team just isn't built up yet. We still need another dynamic receiver or two. There's only so much Hill can do when he's double/triple covered most of the time.

12. Jay Bizniss

Hill gets no seperation.. His route running is horrible... Guy is a #2 reciever in this league nothing more.

13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He gets some, but when Geno does go deep, he just lobs it up for jump balls. He can't hit a receiver going deep in stride.

I do agree his route running is below average and that he's not a #1 receiver.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Aside from the basless criticism of Marty, the OP makes some points. Both lines won this game yesterday, with major help from Ivory. And although Powell did not have a great stat line, he also looked good.

It was also very encouraging that walk ons like Sudfield and Salas contributed. But I would not be surprised of Kerley is out for a long time. Nelson also looked decent, even if Hill is a non-factor. So, if Holmes comes back strong, they just might be able to field decent receivers.

And it was great Smith did not turn the ball over yesterday.

Going forward the schedule looks promising. It is encouraging. But yes, teh passing game is pretty mediocre right now. even with no interceptions Smith had a pedestrian Qb rating.

15. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Hill played much better when Holmes was around. I don't think that's a coincidence.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Uhm, lets think about this one for a minute.

Rookie QB.
    Jeremy Kerley (Out)
    Santonio Holmes (Out)
    Jeff Cumberland (Out)
    Mike Goodson (Out)
    Kellen Winslow (Out)

No shit our offense has been struggling. Every single one of Geno's weapons has been out or just went out.

17. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I was avoiding saying this, until everyone in my section came up with the idea and I of course agree with it, but I think with the loss of Kerley you gotta bring back Edwards. I had abstained from mentioning his name for a while but when everybody else chimed in with the idea of I had to agree. Edwards fights for the ball, and that's what we need. He's not going to get the separation he used to, but he will get the ball on those intermediate routes because he is physical. Unless he is seriously injured, we should sign him back in the absence of Kerley. I wouldn't expect to see him out there for every play, but he could be sort of a saftey valve for Geno to go to because he will fight for the ball. I'm not trying to say he would change the dynamic of the team, but if he isn't seriously injured (though he may be because I find it strange no one has signed him), then I think its at least worth a shot.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Geno did what was asked of him, he scored a touchdown. What more do you guys want? He needs to get himself together first before he can evaluate the players around him

19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Season in the Sun

Damn! These games are fun. Stop worrying and enjoy the season. A young team getting better. One or two more drafts and a big receiver and we will have something. Chill about the playoffs etc.

20. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Sorry OP but you are dead wrong with your assessment. Before our WR corps got decimated I seem to recall Geno being in the conversation for ROY with his 4 game winning drives.

Please stop overreacting to how MM ran the offense for this one game. He took what was given, unlike some of our prior OC who were unable to do so. NO sux vs. the run, so we ran. When our WR's and TE's are back after the bye then MM will have more weapons and I'm sure he'll use them.

So please come back off the ledge.