Dee Miliner...have I missed something?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Derty, Oct 15, 2013.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

You named one blue chip player. Thats one in 4+ years now. Richardson could soon become #2 but you act as if he has a great track record on talent evaluation when he is probably middle of the pack. The other 3 you mentioned are just average players. Don't even get me started on Rex evaluating offensive talent though. That is surely a joke....

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You just proved my point. The poster I'm responding to claimed he was a terrible talent evaluator. Even if he is middle of the pack, that's still far from terrible.

My point is, you can't call someone terrible if they have drafted some pretty solid talent. I'm not talking offensive talent though lol

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I have to conclude that the drafts since Ryan came to the team have on balance been more bad than good. Hitting on a few picks does not overcome the greater number that are mediocre to bad. Even putting aside the questions about Milliner as too early to reach conclusions about this year's picks, the previous four years include only one, 2011, when the players chosen panned out equal or better than their draft status.

2009 had the Jets trade up to get Mark Sanchez. that right there requires several great picks to balance out the awfulness of that move. Shonn Greene was also an underperformer. Arguably the initially woeful Slauson turned out at the sixth round to be a good pick.

2010 was a collosal failure.

2012 is a more mixed bag, with Davis and Allen playing well and Bush still on the squad. But add the fourth wasted on Tebow to Hill, and the so far underwhelming Coples, and it was not a good year.

Now of course Rex was not the only person involved in those drafts. But I see little basis for asserting he's a good talent evaluator in the drafts.

It gets better, somewhat, on some of the especially defensive moves on trades and FA, though. Despite his poor play this year, Cromartie was a good move. Jimmy Leonhard also was a plus. Bart Scott was a good move, especialy at first. Lavon Landry and Bell last year were more mixed, and moves like Maybin were a waste. More telling is that Ryan has been unable to get a good pass rusher at linebacker, and even with Davis's improvement the linebackers are still slower than average.

I don't blame Ryan for Revis's departure, though. that was Woody's move.

I tend to count myself more in Ryan's camp than out of it, but I don't think he's much of a personnel guy.

4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Revis never looked anywhere as bad as Millner who doesn't even have a clue as to how to turn his motions have no fluidity at all and you can have all the great speed in the world however it means nothing if your reaction time to the ball is slow and that is exactly how Millner has played. Every game for which he has played barring any of his injuries he has stunk. I can only remember one play that was good and it was close to faceguarding as he had his back to the ball.

I just think that CB's are more of an instinctive position and most of the great ones usually get it their first year of play. I wouldn't compare Revis to Millner for Revis was always head and shoulders way better than Millner ever was and IMHO I don't think that Millner will ever be a player that can stay on the field as he is always bothered by the slighest ailment. CB's have to be the most durable of all positions as they must ensure that the opposing WR's don't make big plays and Millner is not what I would call a defender who at this point has shown that he can make a big play or stay healthy

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Millner isn't Revis. He will never be Revis.

People need to temper their expectations - I don't like the pick either but still ...

6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I am not a huge Rex Ryan but I see no reason why he can't coach his players up.

7. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The fact is though the comparison will always be made, I sure wasn't expecting revis 2.0, but I sure wasn't expecting this either, so it's just do, the fan reaction.

8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I agree with this, the only thing that could be disputed is idzik, but time will tell.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Dee got burned once to my eyes but Toon dropped it. Made a great play on a pass to Thomas and kept everytinhg in front of him and made tackles.

Almost ended the game on a pick. I don't really know overall how he played since I wasn't focused on him when the ball didn't go his way, but I would say the quick recap says he played decent today

10. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Definitely an improvement. This kid wasn't the concensus top CB for no reason. Let's give him some time to develop.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Milliner bounced back today. He played a good game

12. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

This is the first game I saw actual promise in Milliner. In the past there was almost nothing to actually think "this kid will be good." It wasn't a great game, but I'm happy he showed potential.

13. DanR

DanR Active Member

Besides getting burnt, Milliner was ok. I see improvement.

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I can live with mistakes by Dee, because he's a rookie, all I asked for was some flash as to whether he can play at this level. IMO he absolutely showed his ability in various ways today. Good game by the rook and hopefully he can use this as a confidence-builder going forward.

All in all, a good step forward...

15. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Rex gave the reporters a bit of an " I told you so" to the reporters after the game and said something like "If you want to bet against me when it comes to a defensive guy go ahead". I know he always talks up his guys but he does seem to genuinely believe in the kid. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt at this point...

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That is total and absolute nonsense. He knows more about what this team really needs than all his predecessors by a long shot. He has done remarkably well so far.

17. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I was very pleasantly surprised by Milliner's play today.
    The rest of the secondary stepped up as well.

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Millner made some strides today. He wasn't perfect but he definitely improved a lot. #trustinrex

19. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Rex was so cocky about him during the week and then he comes out and actually played decent..makes you think they saw something in the films he was doing wrong technique wise that they knew he could correct.

20. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to take sides on either point but I think it is worth noting that this logic doesn't really hold up because of averages and other variables. How many of these picks did Ryan want? How many was he against and were forced on him? And how many good player did he get from the number of selections he has had?

For example, if he has only gotten his way on, say, four players chosen in the past four-five years and all four are average or better then he is an amazing talent evaluator by that metric. Conversely, if he was given a major (or even final) say on ten, twenty, etc. picks in the same four or five years and turned up the same amount of talent then that's pretty bad. After all, even a monkey can select peeps randomly and get lucky sometimes.* Compounding this is which rounds he found talent. Finding a future star in the 7th round takes a lot more skill IMHO than in the 1st round. Again, law of averages. So while it is important to note that he has scored some talent, the real indicator for me is what his percentage is and at what draft position.

As for my opinion, it seems to me Rex is a mediocre judge of talent. He does okay with high value picks but doesn't seem like he is able to find hidden gems much. However, I have never looked at this critically, this is really just a general feeling I have had as I have followed him. I think that people feel he is a miserable judge of talent because some of his misses are really bad and he overhypes his players leaving people with the sensation that he doesn't see the reality of the situation and/or can't see the football forest for the trees. I think there is merit to these arguments. Rex is a great DC, but
    he isn't our DC, he is our HC. That's my $.02.

*- I know this sounds harsh but it is true. At any given time there are really no more than around 60 or so college players that the pundits would argue deserve first round consideration and this group is basically the pool from which the first round will be selected with players rising and falling leading up to the draft. Say half of this list goes on to have decent NFL careers for the sake of argument. This would mean that a talent evaluator who only gets a good NFL player every 1 or every 3 first round picks is really doing worse than randomly selecting players in theory. Or, to be unkind, you could give a monkey the same list of players and probably end up with a better result. This is why I think it is important to factor in draft position, position success, and opportunities to evaluate talent versus turnaround.

#340 Aewhistory, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013