Dee Miliner...have I missed something?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Derty, Oct 15, 2013.

1. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Thanks for being a
    Uoice
    Of
    Reason....

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont think its a look of anger, i think its a look of confusion. not knowing the guy at all he just comes across as a moron.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This is a good read. Thanks for sharing. I do think this is why he sucks.

Even in that film, where he looked pretty good, it's obvious he had rough technique and he was relying on his athletic ability to bail him out. Can't do that in the NFL.

Perhaps the way they teach corners at Bama, is why he always seems away from the receiver, and never gets a bump on the line. He seems slow in the hips, no swivel towards the ball.

I know it's unfair to compare him to Revis, especially as a rookie, but since he's a player with tremendous technique, I'm going to. Revis would always line up square to the receiver, get a bump and backpedal - turn his hips and run with the receiver. Perfect technique.

Milliner doesn't even line up square and seems to want to run with the receiver the whole time. Ironically, I've always felt Cromartie plays corner a lot like that - and I've always found it weird that he never really backpedals. But being a receiver at FSU, Cromartie has always been a little unconventional. They got to fix Milliner though - he's a disaster right now. I re-watched some of the Bengals game and it could've been EVEN worse for him.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Alabama teams are often so stacked, that the WHOLE masks that the individual parts aren't as good on their own as they seem.

Hopefully his issues are correctable.

5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

This is 100% spot on.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Millner just got burned way to much .It became sad after awile. I was listening to Rex yesterday on the Michael Kay show and they asked him if he thought Millner was a bust and he said no he thinks its all tecnique with Millner and that he has to get it right.Then they asked Rex if he thought we were just an " average" football team and suprisingly Rex said yes we are 4-4 thats average.The fatter Rex Ryan woulda said we were best team in league

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The article is fairly complimentary of Sabans preferred technique?

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Ah-ha....thanks for the post Unhappyjetsfan.

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Of course if the Jets really do not like him and think it was a mistake to draft him they could trade him today and get some return on their investment. Like a Trent Richardson kind of deal. For a lower 1st round pick to a team that really needs a cornerback and thinks they can develop him. Probably won't happen. Dee was taken overall #9 would the Jets deal him for a 1st round pick in the 20's?

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The tape the author chose to show of Milliner was interesting. Besides the fact Milliner was going against Denard Robinson, who is a marginal passer, he spent a good amount of time covering Devin Gardner. I could be wrong but I believe that game was Gardner's first or second time playing WR. Gardner is Michigan's starting QB now but at the time he was the back-up QB to Robinson. At some point they had him play WR to help the team out cause they were so thin at the position. Watching the tape, I came away more impressed with Gardner's play at WR. He got by Milliner a couple times but Robinson missed the throw. Even though Milliner fell down on that TD, Gardner had a step on him.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

That's a load of absolute bullshit if I ever read it.

If he wasn't a rookie, I'd be worried, but the dude's only played a handful of NFL games. Give him time. Everyone wants instant gratification, but that's not how the NFL works. We were very fortunate with Richardson contributing right of the bat, but how much of it because he's lined up with big Mo and Snax? CBs usually take a couple years before performing up to standards. This nonsense about trying to trade him within a half season as a rookie is ludicrous. The Jets would be moronic to do that. The NFL is NOT college.

#271 Barcs, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  12. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

This......

Plus on defense, Saban coaches to his scheme which is a very very specific system. Take guys out of that system and they aren't all that.

Also, those Bama kids are all roided up and when they get to the NFL where everyone is roided up they lose their advantage. So many disappointing Bama players in the NFL outside of Julio Jones.

13. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

For non professional football it makes sense. NFL QBs and WRs are too good for it to work. This sheds some insight into the whole process of Bama busts.

14. jlee499

jlee499 Member

I say the Jets trade Milliner and never draft another Alabama player again, after all, it's the "WHOLE..." and there are far too many fans/football experts on this site that can see into the future. RTR

15. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Great point.

16. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

What scares me about Milliner is that CB is a position that transitions quickly from college to the pros. Usually with rookie CB's you expect the to make mistakes but it's also easy to see pretty quickly who has 'it'.

Maybe he develops - but isn't that what we said about Wilson?

disclaimer: I know Wilson is a pretty good nickel back - but he was drafted to be a starter on the outside and it doesn't seem like that will ever come to be.

17. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

My first impression of him , was this ⬆, after the draft, the interview, but ya identical to what I saw from Kyle Wilson 3 years ago, slow gets burnt, confused, all shit you don't expect out of a top 10 pick, so well be waiting 3 years to see if he develops into a NFL CB

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

You can also throw Coples in on that trade, its becoming obvious, he's not going to pan out playing LB, an he sure as hell won't be playing. DE, for the Jets anytime soon.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The hole,often overlooked, is the most important part. Individual parts including a great stack, should never deter one from seeing the hole in a hot prospect.

20. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Cornerback, besides QB is probably the hardest position to step in and play.. but with that said, millner looks completely lost when on the field. He just looks awful. I hope he can turn it around. I don't know.. I thought the same think about kyle Wilson and I think he's still terrible. I have a feeling this pick will go down as one of our bad ones in franchise history. I get its only 8 games, I haven't seen any promising things at all. Lowery and revis were better as starting corners rookie year. I know revis is revis. Lowery was much better than Milner is at this point.

I don't follow college football so I don't know if he was any good in college or just a product of alabama. I hope I'm wrong. That's my take thus far.