Stephen Hill: Milk Carton Status

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CurbYourEnthusiasm, Oct 28, 2013.

1. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I generally rip the posters on this board that are all doom and gloom, so I don't want to come off as hypocritical, but where is this guy?

It's not even like he's been dropping passes the last few weeks, it doesn't even look like he's been getting targets except underneath routes.

I find it hard to believe players like Kerley and David freakin Nelson can get consistently open, but someone with 4.35 speed such as Hill cannot.

Any poster insight on this? Maybe seeing something I'm not?

#1 CurbYourEnthusiasm, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He's just not getting the separation he needs to. He also doesn't run very crisp routes. Hill is a classic case of all the measurables but just not an intangibles football player. He plays stiff and just doesn't look very fluid. He's good for 2-3 big games a year max. I just don't ever seeing him being a consistent big time NFL WR.

3. SyraJet

SyraJet New Member

Bust!!!!!!!

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

speaking of future busts in Canton, where's Couples?

5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

He's on his way to Cleveland for josh Gordon.

6. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

He's limping somewhere

7. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I've lost track at this point, did Rex go on record saying he didn't want Hill in the 2nd round and Tanny overrode him? Or was it goofy Rex talking after the Buffalo game last season?

Either way, drafting a 2nd round underclassman WR with marginal hands and very little production in college is not a recipe for success. Oh yeah, also being a shitty route runner doesn't help. But hey, he was a good down-field blocker in college, so there's that...

8. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Whether he can get open or not is one thing. The good thing about him is that the balls that have been throw his way, he's caught. Hasn't had a drop in a while.

9. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Nelson out muscles guys at the line and runs crisp routes and Kerley runs great routes, that's why they get open despite not having Hills speed. That's why people always say speed isn't as important. If you have blazing speed but can't win at the line or run routes then you go M.I.A. That's the case with our beloved Hot hands Hill here.

10. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Al Davis would've loved Hill. Unfortunately, he just isn't good with his hands. Can't outrun everyone or catch a ball after it hits his pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

LOL, I love watching him pull that Shonn Greene gingerly moving shit after he catches a ball.

12. DanR

DanR Active Member

He's either injured or missing in action. Reminds me of Dee Milliner.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Reminds me of Justin McCariens and/or Matthew Hachette.

14. Wow..just wow.

You guys literally have no patience at all.Ready to call anyone a bust at the first sign of adversity or growing pains. It's pathetic & ignorant.

For all the talk about his lack of production Hill has come up w/ some big catches in big spots. He's moved the chains & made some big plays in crunch time. He also consistently occupies a safety over the top even when the receptions aren't there. The biggest obstacle for a young receiver to overcome is consistency with route running..and that's the exact item Hill is struggling w/.The guy improves his catching ability & you guys are ready to move on to the next negative thing to dwell on.

..But you guys keep bitching & complaining wondering why guys aren't all stars after a handful of games in a player's second year.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

These issues with Hill are as follows:

1. Catches the ball with his body.
    2. Terrible route runner.
    3. Fragile

You can deal with 1 or 2 of these issues but 3 is too much.

16. 1.He hasn't dropped a ball in weeks. There are plenty of guys in the NFL who are body catchers. You just learn to adjust your game.As such he's already surpassed the total receptions he had last season at the halfway point.
    2. Route running takes time. He's actually had quite a few big plays where he ran good routes.
    3.Guy had a concussion. It's not like he's sitting out w/ a hammy like Holmes

He's clearly made significant progress since his rookie year. Is he there yet?No. But we knew he was a guy who needed some seasoning.

17. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Amen to that. It's typical after a really ugly loss that people want to start ripping into players like this. Hill hasn't exactly been lighting it up, but he certainly hasn't played like a bust either. Even if he doesn't become a #1, let's hope he improves enough to play a continuing roll on offense - we've all seen over the last few seasons how bad things can get when you play musical chairs with the WR position...

18. NFL

NFL Active Member

People bash Hill so much, but they fail to realize that he has 6 less yards in the year than our beloved Jeremy Kerley. Don't get me wrong, I love Kerley, but everybody praises him and bashes Hill, when they're doing the same thing.

I know an outside receiver should have more yards than a slot, but the Jets don't have many other receivers to take their attention off of Hill. Plus he's still as raw as any receiver out there.

And to the drop passes.. I haven't seen him drop one after week 2 against the Patriots.. in the rain.. I might be wrong, but that's the last one I remember.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

1. The fact that he can not high point the ball pretty much renders his height useless.
    2. What plays are those?
    3. Once a game he gets tackled and he gets up as though he's been shot. He needs to add a couple of lbs to that lanky frame to able to withstand the hits that comes with the position.

20. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

When he has gotten separation deep Smith has underthrown him. He need to be targeted deep each game to open things up.