Geno is an Mirror Image of .....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by pdxdrew, Oct 26, 2013.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Russel Wilson's the best comparison I've seen so far, at least in terms of their career arc (last year Wilson was a lot better at home than on the road, he was about as turnover-prone to this point as Geno has been this year but he still had the knack for winning games like Geno has this year). Wilson runs a bit more, that's the main difference style-wise, and I think Geno throws more deep balls.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think he does have a little Staubach in him. Great athletic QB who could run but was a pass first QB. Iron will and toughness.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He did sign up Apr 27th, the day after the Jets drafted Geno. His posts on Geno have generally been damning him with faint praise. Not exactly an issue troll but the timing and the general trend of his comments suggest that the Jets draft of Geno was a part of his motivation to come here.

4. Br4d

Staubach was much older when he finally got to the NFL.

I see flashes of Elway primarily because of his strong arm, mobility and inconsistency. Elway took heat for two years after he joined the Broncos and his head coach sat him down multiple times when he thought Elway was trying to do too much on the field.

The behind the back fumble was totally an early Elway oopsie.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I was telling somebody just yesterday that he reminded me of Elway.

Very strong arm, a lot of zip on the ball, but at the same time, accurate. That was always a deadly elway combination.

I think this kid is the real deal and maybe we can stop shopping already for our franchise QB and start using acquiring other talent in the coming years.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Geno has a very good arm. It's not even on the same planets as Elway. Elway was killing his receivers with his passes early in his career. Elway used to drive the ball through his WR early in his career and there wasn't a sideline pass that he didn't think he could put through a defender with inside position and he was usually right. The kid from Detroit maybe had an arm like Elway coming, maybe. Elway was a freak. The other guy with a freakish arm was George but he needed to find the wizard of OZ.

#86 Biggs, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  7. Br4d

I get that Geno isn't at the same level as Elway. He's not the same caliber prospect but he looks a lot like Elway in the way he plays the game.

Somebody else made a Jake Plummer comparison and that's not too bad either, although Plummer had a bit of a funky delivery with a sidearm component that kept coming out no matter how hard they tried to coach it out of him.

Geno has the basic physical characteristics of Plummer but the play style of Elway. Matthew Stafford has the physical characteristics of John Elway but the play style of Jake Plummer.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Quincy Carter (without the drug problem) or maybe a slightly more talented Akili Smith.

9. Br4d

Let's just pick a black QB at random to compare him too because that's where our mind is?

Right?

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Haha yep. I was joking, but that is what people will do.

I think it is too early to make any real comparisons, but hopefully he will be compared to the greats in the end.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lol, funny how you question the father figure when I put the same exact quote in the other thread, but you keep laughing and trolling away lol.

Geno is Geno numb-nuts, that's what makes him unique, I just said you can't compare him to one single QB. You can see he incorporated some things in his game from previous greats.

You really need to up your comprehension because it's awful

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Since you're so interested in my posting history taking the time to look up my join date why dont you tell me exactly how my views of Geno have been damning him with faint praise?

What have I said? That he's INCREDIBLY accurate, that it's finally nice to see someone hitting receivers on the fingertips in stride or in between the numbers? That he has a very big arm? That he's very athletic and has made some incredible plays with his feet. My biggest criticisms are that he needs to get the ball out quicker and not wait for receivers to get open, that sometimes he shows a lack of awareness of where he is in the field, needs to step up in the pocket and keep TWO hands on the ball. Are any of those critiques wrong?

I saw him play 3 times live in college and now 6 times live in the pros. I was in the Dome down in Atlanta and that was one of the great away games I've ever been to. I was also at Gillette, not so much. But he's been incredibly impressive and seems to be developing some of his deficiencies before our eyes. Stretching for the first down marker now where a few weeks ago he missed it by a yard. Stepping up in the pocket now, keeping 2 hands on the ball. I've also dismissed most of his turnovers as something a rookie will do.

But because I'm not ready to anoint him the next Elway or Staubach or Warren Moon or even Russell Wilson just yet, somehow I'm trolling? That somehow because I'm not ready to buy into a fairy tale that I'm a troll? Been a Jet fan since 1969 and been a STH since 2001- as a lifelong Jet fan I don't believe in fairy tales.

Didn't realize over-the-top was required here.

_

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Clearly not of these comparisons are to actual skills but just how he plays. Geno reminds me of romo. Some reasons why, the constant backpedalling and going backwards reminds me of romo. The ability to run is there but he would rather pass. The ill advised throws but the insanely accurate deep throws.

I see the Rodgers idea, geno on the run slinging it reminds of Rodgers a little

14. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

I see Mark Sanchez

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I see JP Losman in EJ Manuel too.

16. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

mark sanchez for obvious reasons.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

too easy. shame on both of you

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah it would have been much better executed posts if they were before the game today. Afterwards, too predictable. I'm disappointed in the lack of creativity there

19. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This...
    A inconsistent turnover prone QB, a career backup, the quest for a franchise QB continues

20. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Why? His failure to protect the ball is a mirror image of Sanchez. He reminds me of Sanchez behind center, he does, the OP asked a question I answered.

Sure as shit is a lot better than "Tom Brady with more mobility" and "Russell Wilson is the closest comparison". No tom Brady is an all time great with three rings, Russell Wilson lit the league on fire. Geno is terrible so far.