Sanchez value, IF ONLY...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Oct 24, 2013.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

sadly, I think we will be having these conversations even when he is gone.

2. WHODEY

WHODEY Banned

I would consider trading a spare office chair for Butt Fumble. Depending on the size and quality of the chair, of course.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Stop it--there is NO basis for making this claim.

Except that that is exactly what one of the things MM is known for.

But you'll never get a hater to even acknowledge that possibility.

At least I'll acknowledge Sanchez was bad in 2011 and awful in 2012 and done in NY.

Nobody knows what MM might have done with Sanchez and we'll never know.

_

4. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

I don't know what planet you live on, but there is no team that would give up anything more than a conditional 6th for Sanchez. There are a ton of other QB's in the league that are available on cheaper contracts that would cost far less than Sanchez. Heck, there are QB's on the street that most GM's would prefer. You're asking the acquiring team to take on massive salary, massive risk in bringing in somebody very few people thought should be starting.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It's impossible to compare what Geno did to what Sanchez might have done. For all we know, Sanchez wins the first NE game and loses the 2nd with several TOs. Honestly I think the whole part about Sanchez being healthy is moot because if he's healthy he probably starts while Geno is groomed on the sideline and we don't consider trading him because he's either decent enough to keep starting or he's playing terrible and nobody will want him regardless.

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

we have discussed in the past that it took the jets out of a possible media situation when sanchez got hurt. it is just as likely that the fo and mm wanted to see what geno could do as it is that sanchez would have started. it was fairly obvious it was still a competition or i doubt that sanchez would have been put in when he was. im not going to get into the rex made the call or the pressure from upstairs created it.

the big difference between freeman and what we are talking about here is that freeman got released not traded. my contention is that he WOULD absolutely get picked up if he were released. and he WILL get picked up at the end of the year when we release him. however to think that a team would take a guy with 13 million on the books for next year and give up anything substantial for him is stretching it a bit. sure i guess it could happen but the likelihood is not very good.

so no its not that i hate mark sanchez, its that it wouldnt make much football sense to trade for a guy who will be released and be on the hook for 13 million bucks next year. and to rework that deal would probably require 3 or 4 years and i can only assume he would want a few million more than he would already be getting so lets say 15 to 18 million.

that or they could trade away a 2nd round pick as some have suggested, play him this year and then cut him and eat 4 million in cap like we will at the end of the year.

it just doesnt make sense to me. irregardless that he is mark sanchez and never liked him. thats beside the point.

7. JStokes

Look, I'm not saying it wasn't in the best interests of the franchise for Sanchez to be taken out of the situation--wish it hadn't been by injury in a useless game--but unless you are the most die-hard Sanchez hater, MS was the starter week 1 at the start of the 4th quarter of the Giants preseason game.

If you deny that, you're denying reality.

Like it or not, good or bad for the franchise, Sanchez was the starter week 1 if he doesn't go into that game, which he never should have.

_

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

How do you figure Sanchez was the week 1 starter?
    I certainly did not get that impression from the cryptic responses given by Rex and Idzik. I actually got the opposite impression from them.
    Their actions of putting him out there in a 4th Q preseason game also supports that they didn't view him as their starting QB.

I think Sanchez was nothing more than insurance to the coaches, in case Geno needed a few more weeks. Either way Geno would be the starter, and i think their plans were from week 1 all along.

9. alleycat9

stokes i am confident everyone in the organization was done with sanchez. from idzik to morningwood. i cant guarantee it but i feel that was the case. i also think they saw something in geno that they wanted to see more of.

i also think that rex was trying as hard as he could to convince everyone that mark was still the guy and needed to be the starter. i believe that is why he put him in the giants game. i believe that rex saw an opportunity for an i told you so moment to show idzik that HIS guy was better than the new guy. geno performed poorly, mark had no plans to go in. i am not even sure if he was warmed up. rex came over and told him to get in there and he did.

in my eyes rex wanted him to go in and perform well for 2 drives and lead us to tds. not because he wanted to beat the giants, because he wanted to be able to go in to the boss on monday and say SEE geno isnt ready, MARK came in and led us to two tds, he is the guy.

sure there is no way to prove this, its my feelings on the situation.

however just like i cant guarantee he would NOT be the starter, others cant guarantee he would. none of us really knows. and yes mark outplayed geno in the 2+ preseason games. but thats not what this is about.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Didn't Marty PREFER Geno over Sanchez? Yes, he did - that is all I need to know - and that's all the Sanchez-supporters need to know also at this stage of the game.

The brightest offensive mind the Jets had preferred Geno. It's over.

11. alleycat9

i dont remember exactly what he said or what was said but that is what i recall the situation being as well. rex was the only one who had anything negative to say about geno in the preseason.

and it may not mean he would have been the starter but it sure does make it tough to say he absolutely wouldnt be.

12. 101GangGreen101

Marty, wanted to coach Geno the minute he saw him in his pro-day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-geno-remember-gift-marty-gave-article-1.1481301

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/31/report-mornhinweg-prefers-geno-smith-to-mark-sanchez/

The thing is, Marty doesn't say it in quotes, but I believe if you put a few things together (Marty watching Geno at his pro-day, how he interacts with Geno, those articles). I think it's obvious Marty preferred Geno from the start. Marty was very nice to Sanchez, but I think if Marty had to pick it would of been Geno. Marty never talked Sanchez up like he did Smith. With Marty - Smith it's almost like a father son relationship.

I wasn't pro-Geno around draft day, and I still think he has a lot of learning to do, but I'm sold on him becoming a better player, something we haven't really seen from Mark. Offensively, I trust Marty over anyone else in that building.

#132 101GangGreen101, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Buzz Wrong answer.
    Geno Smith 1st 7 games. 11 interceptions, 6 fumbles, 3 lost, 223 pass attempts, 28 rush attempts, 58.3% completion rate, 10 TD's(8 passing 2 rush)
    Sanchez first 7 games.....10 interceptions, 7 fumbles, 2 lost, 179 pass attempts, 23 rush attempts, 52.5% completion rate. 8 TD's (6 passing 2 rush)
    When you factor in that Sanchez had 20% fewer pass attempts than Geno and 18% fewer rush attempts than Geno you can actually realize that Sanchez was, over his first 7 games, turning the ball over at a higher rate than Geno. Geno has a 4.9% interception rate and Sanchez had a 5.5% interception rate. Fumble rate (rush attempts+pass attempts/fumbles) Smith 2.3% Sanchez 3.5% (numbers rounded to the nearest 0.0 level.)

Your continued statement on Sanchez turning the ball over less with this offense is strictly hypothetical. The Line has been paper thin and Sanchez has never performed well when getting pressured consistently so the Statement that Sanchez would definitively perform better is strictly hypothetical.

Whether or not Smith is the answer will remain to be seen, and we probably won't know the answer on him definitively till season 3 or 4.

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I agree with that. Go Geno!

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

LOL...For a second there I thought you were being serious when you wrote "Stop it--there is NO basis for making this claim. Except that that is exactly what one of the things MM is known for." Very funny. I agree he was aggressively brutal in 2012. I respectfully disagree with 2011. He finished the season poorly, but I didn't think it was all bad in 2011. Not when I look at the season in totality. It was the first time time Schitty took the reins off and he produced 32 TDs I believed. Producing that many scores with Schitty's offense and the talent he had is nothing to sneeze at. It wouldn't be out of the question for Mark to restructure and stick around just because of MM. I know he loves MM and this offense. Given the choice, being the back up here may end up being better than starting for some shitty team, with a shitty OC and shitty offensive weapons. He already knows what that is like. Again MM is the key.

16. JStokes

Lol, everyone who watches football knew Sanchez was the starter after the way Geno played in the first 3 quarters of the Giant game. Even the most ardent Sanchez hater had to begrudgingly accept that.

In retrospect considering how Geno has played, that would have been the wrong move.

But he would have been the starter week 1.

100%.

_

17. JStokes

Dude, this is The Gang Green, you can't say ANYTHING positive about Sanchez without being dumped on. He'll, I'm a Geno supporter, but I just don't hate Sanchez like some of the dicks here.

MM would have made a huge difference in Sanchez's game, but folks here don't want to admit that, it's easier just to scream BUTTFUMBLE!!!

_

18. JStokes

Which is why the Jets passed over him twice and didn't try to move up and waited until the 39th pick.

So, he didn't ever say it but because YOU believe and YOU read the body language and YOU think they have a father-son relationship (LOLOLOL) therefore MARTY preferred Geno over Sanchez.

Is this what we call a basis for making a claim?

Wow.

_

19. 101GangGreen101

Good things happen to those who wait right? Every team passed on Geno if you didn't notice, I bet some teams already are regretting that choice. He wasn't worth a first rounder.

The writing was on the wall. I think it's pretty obvious whose corner Marty was in. Look at the interviews, observe their choice of words and how they talk about each other. Marty, not once talked Sanchez up like he did with Geno. Again, I go with whatever Marty wants on offense.

20. JStokes

Lol, the "writing" was on the wall?

So he DIDN'T say it? Yet it was "obvious"?

You sound like you're pretty big on body language.

I'm guessing Geno's Dad feels a little slighted by Marty usurping his father role.

I get your hyperbole, we all want Geno to succeed, but You don't have to make stuff up.

Lol.

_