All things Revis

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Royal Tee, Jun 26, 2013.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That's nice but irrelevant to the issue at hand. No one is saying that having a really good secondary isn't a great thing to have. Rather, people are highlighting the obvious absurdity of paying ONE cornerback 16 million dollars a year, in a league that has one of the most restrictive salary caps in professional sports. Just considering offense and defense, you have to account for 22 starting salaries as an NFL GM. It simply makes no sense whatsoever to pay ANYONE 16 million dollars a year, with the exceptions of a franchise quarterback (who has the ball in his hands on every offensive play), and possibly, a game-changing pass-rusher (and to be honest, I would generally be against paying a single DE/OLB that much money).

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

If they don't change the defense they play, they should cut him.

No sense paying a shutdown corner that kind of money if you're gonna play zone most of the time...

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

problem is your argument presents two separate elements that don't support your conclusion.

the first is that they would decide $16 million is too much to pay a CB and conclude the reasonable course of action is to cut him and eliminate that cap cost.

the second factor you bring up doesn't support that conclusion, though -- that they gave up a 1st and a 3rd, and would conclude that is too much to give up for him and cut him. unlike the salary, which has an immediate and long term benefit of getting rid of, giving up the draft picks has long term costs, and thus the only way to recoup that cost is to keep Revis and get that value out of him.

so you can't claim both, that they would determine that the salary is too high and cut him, or that they gave up too much to get him and cut him. if they gave up too much for him that would be why they keep him.

so your argument doesn't work.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1. i don't think they cut revis after 1 year. 16 mil a 1st and 4th for 1 year is a bit steep. even if cutting him is the right thing to do

2. if revis was to come back it would be to replace cro. so the cb combo would be revis/cro and millner not revis cro and millner. i would take revis back if he was willing to do it for 10mil a year max

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I'd love it if Revis signed back with us. That would be incredible.

But to call Revis a product of the Rex Ryan system isn't fair. The guy is an elite player no matter what system he is in. He's playing great for the Bucs now. It's just not the system he wants to play in.

6. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I don't think Revis contract was guaranteed at all (could be wrong) so if they consider it a failed trade and fire schiano...i could see them trading him for much less than what they gave but cutting him outright? That seems pretty unlikely.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that is the most likely scenario.

his contract is just one year for anyone who wants to trade for him, so there is no doubt many teams who would give up a draft pick or two for his services, even if for just one year, if they felt he was all they were missing. even getting a 3rd round pick back is better than just releasing him, and there is no doubt they could get a 3rd rounder for him.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

what are the cap ramifications? i thought they inked him to a new deal after the trade, if they did then i would assume they would be sitting on a shit ton of dead money.

truely stupid of them to bring the top notch man corner in and play a zone defense. just stupid. kinda like when philly brought in asomougha or whatever the fuck his name is and used him completely improperly.

thatd be like putting peyton manning in a zone read offense. its just retarded.

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

this.

I would be SHOCKED if Tampa cut him after 1 year under the circumstances. If anything, they will tailor their defensive scheme (which they should have done to begin with).

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

from what i remember of deal the cap ramifications are zero. I believe he got ZERO guarenteed dollars in this deal.

11. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Bucs won't release him, not after one year.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

They're gonna hire Mike Zimmer who will bring that attacking 4-3 defense and let Revis lockdown whoever on the outside

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

They're going to do nothing about him until they get their new coaching staff in place, since Schiano is going to be fired in January (if not before), probably along with most or all of his assistants. At that point they'll decide if he's worth $16 million to the new coaches (and GM?).

14. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Even rotoworld is on it...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/18/jerod-mayo-patriots-weekend-notes/2/

According to SI's Greg Bedard, Darrelle Revis played only two snaps of man coverage in the Bucs' Week 6 loss to the Eagles.

The Bucs are using Revis as a zone corner, making their coverage looks predictable and susceptible to a quarterback like Philly's Nick Foles. Understandably, Tampa Bay has caught a lot of heat for using Revis in a way that does not play to his strengths. It's an important note to remember for fantasy wide receivers facing the Bucs going forward. Revis isn't shutting anyone down because Tampa isn't giving him the opportunity to shut anyone down.

15. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Once again, Al Davis f**** us.

The market for a top-corner was $12 MM before Davis overpaid for Ashomouga, who I correctly noted was WAY OVERRATED when he was a FA in 2011 (I didn't want him at 1/2 the price the Jets offered and predicted he would last 1 season with the Eagles).

Revis is a great CB and will be so for another 5 years or more.

16. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Beavis will be a corner of a lifetime ,with a career on shitty teams that can't afford any other players to make them a contender

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The market for the best CB in the NFL was $9M a year. Champ Bailey's 7 year $63M deal was it. Al Davis almost doubled the market overnight. And to lose a ton of games, which was predictable when he did it.

18. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I just find it hilarious that Revis whined his way out of town to get even more money and now that he got it he's not being used the way that made him Revis Island. Even more hilarious that it's that arrogant jack*** Schiano that thinks he's the smartest guy in the universe who's making a $16 million player a zone corner.

#378 NYJFan10, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  19. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Not sure how he can maintain "Hall of Fame path" without more picks and post season runs? Does he even have an INT this season? Pro bowler :lol: yeah right.

Maybe money is the only thing that motivates him?

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the only team likely to pay Darrelle Revis $16M a year already owns his rights and Revis is all about the money so him taking a paycut to go somewhere else is unlikely.

I'm guessing he's a Buc next year and then the question is what happens in year 3 of the deal.