2013 week 7 - N.E. Patriots @ NY Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Oct 13, 2013.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It is all about situations in the NFL. At that specific moment of the game, the Steelers offense could do nothing. It was absolutely the right moment to go for it on 4th down. If the Jets failed, the defense would get them the ball back in good field position. If they succeed, it is 7-0.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't like this reasoning. You are assuming the whole second half plays out the same as when he kicked the FG. which is incorrect. If we spot the Flacons the 3 points, late in the 4th they don't go for it on 4th and 3 with 2 minutes left down 3 points against the Jets. They kick the FG and Geno just has more time to go down the field and lead them to a FG. They still lose, it didn't cost them the difference.

I would have gone for it like Mike Smith did. It's silly to say those 3 points were the difference and assume the rest of the game plays out the same.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That was another horrible pussy decision by Rex to kick that field goal. Took the wind right out of the sails of this team. Show some confidence in your team and go for that shit. Made me want to puke when they lined up for that field goal.

The Rex that this team hired goes for that. He's a shell of his old self, afraid to make the wrong decision for fear of his job. He's not the aggressive, go for the win guy we used to love.

4. BrowningNagle

Exactly, I didn't think Mike Smith made the wrong decision- I think Rex did. I'd rather lose going down swinging anyway. It was the right decision, just poor execution.

If Rex did what Mike Smith did I would defend him even if the jets lost by 2 like that. Nothing wrong with playing to win and just happening to come up short. But this playing not to lose bullshit like kicking that field goal last week (much easier decision anyway) and not going for 2 the week before is the type of bullshit that's going to cost you more games than an aggressive decision like Mike Smiths

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

A TD is worth more than twice a FG, so even if's only 50/50, it's still worth going for it. If you can get one of two in that situation, you get 1 pt more than just kicking 2 FGs.

Plus when a coach goes for it the team gets WAY pumped up. It tells the team "I believe in you".

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

HC has seconds to make a decision go for it or FG.... Rational says we are almost guaranteed points by kicking a FG and most importantly have the home team playing catch up which is never easy to do, especially in front of home fans desperate for the W. Pressure on falcs.

IF we go for it like you suggest, maybe we don't make it and turnover on downs, (4th down conversions).
    Sure our front 7 are pretty darn good...but now you're daring Ryan (who is a pretty good QB) to throw against our secondary who has ONE INT and 7 FFs
    to its name to date. Even statistically its a bad idea.
    If only we could play with hindsight :wink:

First point, see above ^

Confidence in your team: FG kicking units are part of the team as well you know.
    Whilst Geno eludes confidence and belief at some point if he's put into 4th qtr scenarios like the Pats game, he will get ruined.
    So parden Rex and the Jets for taking some of the heat off a rookie QB still finding his groove in the NFL.

So you like the old Rex huh? Getting caught in clubs flipping the bird, guaranteeing SBs and putting crazy pressure on the team? Half that circus crap was on Rex, but you like it?

There is a difference from being aggressive to calculating. I much prefer the 'new' Rex and like the HC he is becoming.

7. gustoonarmy

Thanks for the math class,interesting.
    FYI we have had 2 attempts this year and stand 0 - 2 , so I'm not sure how you arrive at 50/50 chance. Everything has to be equal as in 50/50

8. BrowningNagle

I wasn't talking about the off the field crap, when I referred to old Rex.. only on the field. I'm talking about the guy that went for it on 4th and 1 around mid-field late on the road in the San Diego playoff game. That Rex. He's gone. This current version would've punted in that situation.

Your other points are dumb. ie. the showing confidence in your FG kicking team?? lining up for a chip shot 20 yard field goal doesn't show any confidence in any unit.

And he wasn't "calculating," because if he was, he'd gone for it. He was simply making a pussy decision.

Buffalo's head coach was on the radio this morning and was asked about his decision to go for it on 4th and goal from the 2 last week in a similar situation early in the game: "there was NO thought about kicking the field goal - that's just simply playing the percentages, when you get to the 2 like that it's 4 down territory. A no brainer."

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You take the goose egg off the board as soon as you can. He made the right decision.

10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Gronk is playing on Sunday (per ESPN).

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Yeah this game is gonna get ugly.

12. gustoonarmy

Just saw that. At least when we beat them they can't use missing Gronk as the excuse :wink: :gpc:

13. Footballgod214

Gronk is so great he broke his five-arm instead of his forearm. :rofl:

14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Bingo, it's commical that many of you would take points off the board at home against a winless team. Now the results of the game didn't make this situation dire, but at that time I take the points, the lead, and put my D ou there and force a 3 and out.

15. Footballgod214

Enshrined in Canton, this is the straw that broke the Gronk's back:

[​IMG]

16. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

This made me happy for my fantasy football team, but pretty sad for my reality football team.

17. Footballgod214

Fair enough, but if Rex is faced with the same situation this Sunday against Brady, what should he do?

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

well that sucks.. :gpc:

19. gustoonarmy

Pretty much sums up that thought process.

Buffalo's HC, you mean Doug Marrone, the 2 - 4 coach of the Bills who has successfully engineered a 2 - 6 completion rate for 4th down conversions? Works well then :wink:

It was a risk which paid off for them and ultimately sent them to OT. But at 24 -10 with just over 10 mins on the clock they had nothing to lose and go for it.
    THAT is the time when you go for it not when both teams are still locked at 0 - 0 on national TV.

If we met the Chargers in that same scenario, I'll bet you Rex would go for it again. Once again there is a time and a place to go for it on 4th down.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this. there are spots in a game where taking a chance is worth it. but you don't pass up a chance to draw first blood