The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah a coach like Bill Belichick who installs much needed discipline and his defense has more penalty yards than the Jets this year. Or a coach like Tom Coughlin, what discipline he has, his team leads the NFL in defensive penalty yards. Pete Carroll too right, ahead of the Jets in defensive penalty yards. That Harbaugh is great too right, also ahead of the Jets in defensive penalty yards.

Now that we got that rant by me out of the way, I think we can see what Geno can do without big time WRs. If he's making bad reads and mental mistakes, he's going to make them regardless of the talent on the field. Mental mistakes are mental mistakes.

As others have reiterated, consistency is the big thing right now. We are going up against a PITT defense that has forced 0 turnovers this year but is 14-2 against rookie QBs since 2004 under Dick Labeau. If Geno can put together two solid games in a row (ATL and PITT), it's a good sign that he taking advantage of playing weaker teams, and that he's learning and progressing from past mistakes.

2. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Geno is terrible, he can only find success with the most basic, conservative offense. His decision making and accuracy are complete shit. This guy won't make it the season. TWO fucking INTs on the goal line, way to kill any fucking momentum you POS.

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

The 2nd one isn't on him, did you even watch the play or your stat tracking? Blame our protection for letting Jones get on Geno which altered the throw. He did get away with a shoulda been INT so it evens out but that play is not on Geno.

The Jets were put in a spot to make Geno throw rather than establish the run which is the difference between today and Monday Night. Geno when only needing to do 25 or less passes can work, asking more at this point is an honest roll of the dice.

4. NewYorkEveryThing

Filip Flop Flip Flop. He was not given any type of chance the way cromartie was getting burned. He cannot make a comeback every game. The team played horrible and gave up big plays.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

he didn't :(

if it wasn't for Eli we would be leading the league in Ints (I know he is a rookie but after 4 seasons of Sanchez I would love for us not to be constantly turning the ball over still).

Ah well, I expected us to be a 6 or 7 win team this year so its pretty much where I thought it would be - just a shame that with a decent QB we could be a lot better (though I accept this defeat was almost as much on the D as on the O).

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Rough game, but I'm ok with how we just were not good in every part of the game. Time to move on, there is growth and potential here for Geno

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Rough game for Geno. Hopefully he redeems himself next week.

8. NewYorkEveryThing

I hope rex rips his defense and WRs. No pressure all game. They had us beat making us play conservative . The refs did not call any holding on PITT . They were grabbing and holding all game.

9. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Establish the run? They spent the entire first half running the ball. They were conservative as hell, anytime they called on Geno to throw the ball past 10 yards it was either picked, 5 yards off target, or nearly picked.

"letting jones get on Geno which altered the throw" lol that's called pressure, will happen in the NFL, and if he's going to chuck a jump ball and horrible INT anytime he sees pressure he won't be very successful.

10. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Establish the run as in doing it well. They did not until late in the game in a drive when the Steelers were loading up to prevent big passing plays with a double digit lead. Goodson hardly played after some decent play in quarter 1(Until quarter 4 when the game was dwindling down)

Its not even just conservative, its predictable and makes no sense. As I said in the other thread....they tried 3 spread runs with Geno. None of it worked. I just don't get the playcalling at all.

lol how the hell is that a jump ball? The throw was altered because Geno got hit, this shit happens. Its like blaming a QB for a tipped ball at scrimmage going into a INT. Just because pressure happens in the NFL doesn't mean that the person responsible for blocking doesn't get held accountable.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Geno didn't play good today. I don't think he was terrible though. The Steelers bullied our OL a little and we couldn't plays to develop down the field. When we had our one shot, Geno overthrew Hill by a step or two unfortunately. Other than that one shot, there really wasn't much going on. They need to be more aggresive which is easy to say on hindsight, but the OL didn't allow them to do that much. Geno needs to make better decisions in the RZ, after protect the ball beautifully in ATL in the RZ, he made one terrible mistake and got hit on a second throw that seemed to be forced into coverage even if he wasn't hit.

He held onto the ball well when getting hit from behind or his blindside, he also ran the two minute drill well. Him and the WR just couldn't get on the same page for whatever reason. Nothing down the field ever happened, and the WR couldn't create any penalties .

All in all, par for the course for a rookie QB so far. Nothing shocking.

12. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

thats bullshit. geno completed some nice throws. that 1st int was god awful though.

geno didn't play great but the oline played much worse, geno had pressure on him all game.

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

This was the worst game I have seen Geno play this year. Mainly because of the 4th quarter. The first 3 quarters Geno was not asked to do much and he played mostly well. The 1st half the OL was awful. He had no time. He had an opportunity to make a big play to Hill he missed it. He responded with a nice drive before the half.

But the 4th quarter was where it got bad. Geno IMO lost his composure and looked mentally done in the 4th quarter. His footwork has been really good all year. The last 4 drives he was not setting his feet and looked nervous and confused. Absent the very last little bit of the Tenn. game its the only time I have seen this from him. Today he looked mentally defeated without taking anywhere near the physical beating he took against Tenn. All year he has shown the ability to rise up when it counts. Today he looked tired and confused and done in the 4th quarter.

The INTs don't bother me. What borrows me is the poor footwork, the nervousness and confusion in the pocket. The strength of Geno all year has been his calmness, his accuracy, his poise and stepping into his throws. This we did not see in the 4th quarter. Was it the lack of preparation on a short week? Was it the Pitt defense confusing him? Has he taken to many hits? Was he just hitting a rookie wall and mentally tired?

I was never concerned about the Tenn game or the NE game. Most of those games he played very well. Today he lost his poise, his calmness and his mental toughness. All the things that have made him so special this year. Who will we get next week against NE?

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Credit Dick Lebeau he does a good job confusing rookie QB's.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

There's a massive difference between trying to run the ball, and actually running the ball. We could not do the later for the majority of the game.

Considering Geno was picked off once on a deep throw, while the other one being a lame duck in the air while being hit, it doesnt seem like your statement about his throws past 10 yards are accurate... at all.

I hate to pull this card, but do you see who he throwing to? They are just not good. The offensive line let up pressure consistently. Also, lets give some credit to the Steelers defense. They are coached by Dick Lebeau who traditionally gives rookie QBs a very hard day.

16. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

well that wasn't very good.

not a disaster like vs the titans, but certainly not a positive performance. the worst was obviously the two INTS both in the redzone (the first in particular was a terrible decision) souring an otherwise mediocre day for geno where the steelers seemed to out coach and beat the jets on multiple phases of the game.

on the other hand he once again showed that short memory and calm demeanor he has in the face of adversity, thats a fantastic trait to have, not that it did much good today.

Throwing a LITTLE shorter on that deep pass to Hill might have changed the whole game, not sure if thats a true negative knock on Geno though as it wasn't terribly thrown or anything, just in need of a bit more control.

as much as opinion on him sways back and forth depending on the endgame result, I feel he is coming into his own well enough, its a process that won't always be like last monday fun as that was. now we just gotta hope the pats lose and first place is still in play.

17. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

really? I didn't feel that way, but then i wasn't focusing too much on his footwork. he looked fine on the last drive up till the pick, but this is just another perspective I guess. He seemed more dejected vs the titans than today in my opinion.

18. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Chalk it up to a rookie confused and dismayed by Lebeau's defense. He made one terrible terrible mistake that essentially cost us the game, and that was tough. His second pick, he got hit as he threw. And the overthrow to Hill was a killer but I'm not sure you can get on him for that.

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Couldn't disagree more. I saw a rookie QB make a couple bad passes (the one up the sideline to Rueland that was picked, and another in the middle of the field that should have been picked). Otherwise, I saw WRs who couldn't get open at all; every WR was blanketed on coverage.

20. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I'm only surprised Jetsfan hasn't chimed in yet.