2013 week 6 - Pittsburgh Squeelers @ NY Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Oct 8, 2013.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

We are a 3-2 team with 2 wins on last second FGs

We have a rookie QB who hasn't put together back to back good games this season.

We are missing our top two corners

We are missing our TE

We are missing our top WR

The Steelers are coming off of a bye.

I can totally see why Jets fans, myself included, don't think this will be a walk in the park I can also see why some Jets fan might see them losing this game, because of all of the above and some other things.

I think we win 24-13 but in no way are the Jets going to be or should be a lock to win this game unless Pittsburgh forfeits.

2. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Yep. After great highs usually come the lows. Always keeping us humble. Not saying we will lose but I'm sure as hell not "putting it in the books" as some others have said.

3. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

The last two posts pretty much said it all as to why some of us think this won't be a walk in the park, footballgod214.

4. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

1 game at a time for me....

This is a classic "trap" game where over-confidence vs a team with a major losing record can sometimes spell trouble. Rex MUST design Def sets that takes the burden off a Jet 2ndary that's weak. Disguised blitzes, cross-patterned rush's, combo man/zone coverages to protect underneath slants & dump-offs, etc.

Just gotta' play smart.....!

#124 Fightin'JetTitan, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  5. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I am growing more and more concerned about this game. No Cro, now no Winslow, and it was already a stereotypical trap game. Our DL HAS to spend as much of the game as possible in the Steelers backfield. That shouldn't be an issue, considering
    a. how good our DL is
    b. how bad the Steelers OL is, and
    c. It is a Todd Haley run offense

Many of the Steelers offensive unit has been griping about Haley's system, and they are right when they say it just isn't a good fit for the team. He is one of those arrogant "my system will work anywhere" kind of coordinators, and it's a joke. He is a big reason that team is where it is at. That and a depleted level of talent on the OL. Still, even with all that going on, this game still scares the crap out of me, and all long-time Jets fans who have seen them lose countless games like this. Detroit 2OOO, anyone?

6. Mitch_Dumstein

the same folks who told us we were doomed to a two or three win season, that our rookie QB was a diva who wasn't ready, that we were the 32nd best team in the NFL, that we were a "virtual expansion team", that we were going to get "smoked" on the road on MNF by an solid angry and better Falcon team and much worse are NOW (with us having won 3 of our first 5 games) telling us that we are doomed this week against an 0-4 team at Met Life because it is a "trap game" and because the Jets are apparently the only NFL team that has some players that are injured

I guess I should expect such "worriedness" and "anxiety" and "concern" from Cimini or Womanish, but it would be nice if it didn't have to be from our own fans

#126 Mitch_Dumstein, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  7. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Gang Green message boards.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I guess we just have to agree to disagree until Sunday 4pm. All my v-cash is on a dominating Jets win at home against a winless scrub team.

You guys are acting like we're going into Denver minus MoWilk and Geno.

9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is huge!!!

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I remember a few of those most. I remember coming off a big win against the Titans only to lose at home to Denver next week.

11. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Really great news about Cro playing tomorrow. Just hoping he isn't forcing anything and he's truly capable of full contact.

12. Mitch_Dumstein

Cro IN Sunday!!!!

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

We need Cromartie to cover Antonio Brown. That dude has been one of the few bright spots for the Steelers thus far. I think our defense is going to have a big game and will get it's first defensive TD of the year. We're due to bust a big one from a Wilkerson forced fumble or pick 6. I'll be watching Walls. Up front, it's a nightmare match up for the Steelers oline.

14. rohirrim665

Nobody said we are "doomed." Just because some of us are not being mindless homers doesn't mean we expect or want the Jets to lose, please guy.

15. rohirrim665

Is it me or has he been avoiding contact this year? Last year he was laying guys out and this year it seems he has been evasive of contact, particularly in the Atlanta game. Am I wrong? Was thinking he was possibly injured and this was before this weeks news.

16. displacedfan

Hip injury:
    http://nypost.com/2013/09/19/cromartie-hip-injury-wont-hinder-me-from-stopping-johnson/

I haven't been focusing too much on Cro this year, but I feel like just from announcers/commentators that Cro isn't playing up to last year which would have been tough and up to his usual self in general

17. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I'm just happy the Jets are playing a "trap game" Who would've thunk it?!

18. displacedfan

Not even a "trap" game against an expected "trap" opponent like OAK or JAX, but against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Weird NFL season so far

19. Bob Robbins

Bob Robbins New Member

I think the game plan will be similar to the ATL game, balance the run and pass attack to set up Geno for success. Pittsburgh is likely going to lose the battle on both sides of the line. We all know what our D line can do against their problematic O line. Their D line, however has only 4 sacks on the season and is ranked very poorly against the run. If they truly lose the battle in the trenches on both sides like I expect, it will be tough for them to win this game.

Say what you will about LeBeau, but he's been coaching that defense the last 4 weeks and has yet to apply pressure to opposing QBs or stop the run. He'll have an easier time scheming against a rookie, no doubt, but I think MM will come in with a game plan that helps minimize that advantage.

Winslow being out sucks, but he's disappeared in games altogether so I don't see this as a game changer. Cumberland has been solid, except the drop which he tipped back to himself. I'm not that high on Reuland, but we'll get to see what Sudfeld has (if anything).

I don't look at this as an easy game, but I think we win something like 24-16 when all is said and done. While the Steelers may have factors like coming off their bye and LeBeau scheming against a rookie going for them, I think the overall talent is on our side right now, and we're at home.

20. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Not only have the Steelers not won a game ... They have zero takeaways this season. ZERO! Have you ever heard of a team going 5 straight games with no takeaways? I haven't. The law of averages tells me we're in BIG trouble tomorrow.

Obviously I hope we win ... But I expect us to turn the ball over 2 or 3 times and lose a heartbreaker.