Current Status of This Team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

A third for Gordon would be a great deal. The kid is legit.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Can the Kid behave himself off the field though? Seems when those Cleveland boyz get here, they go off the reservation in time.

3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's the only reason he is being shopped. If he had a clean history, the Browns would never look to trade him.

But remember, when Santonio came over he was (and still is) one strike away from a year long suspension.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Santonio hasn't exactly been a godsend here Lon. I'm thinking Idzik probably wants more high-character guys than characters these days.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm thinking this is a good way to look at the situation. Idzik got burned on Goodson. I don't think he's going to be jumping through hoops to potentially get burned by Gordon.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

6. agilic

agilic Member

Fans are funny because if Folk strikes the ball slightly differently and the ball wobbles 10 feet left instead of 10 feet right, then this post praising all of the coaches and quarterback is never created. Or we're complaining and nitpicking the negative points instead

7. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

In particular, Rex gets bashed to high heaven for failing to go for 2 up 26-14. But Folk made it so Rex is a genius and the beat writers demand he get an extension. Football is week to week like that.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That's complete bullshit. Don't take your opinions and make them a fact on others. If we lost this game in a tight battle and Geno played the way he did, I would still be here right now saying these same things. I have praised Rex for years and have loved Geno since his college days.

If you had any comprehension, you would see that my OP has nothing to do with this win, other than Geno's performance. MM has been great this whole first half of the season, Rex encourages all the players to play with heart and an attitude worth noticing, Geno Smith has grown each and every week fixing his mistakes, and our DL, especially Wilkerson and Richardson, has been phenomenal. Notice something here? Nothing I posted was about how this organization will win a super bowl. In fact, I even stated at the beginning that I DO NOT feel this team is a playoff contender quite yet. This has more to do with our pieces, not with the win.

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it any better. Let's build this team through the draft and find cheap players like Walls and Snacks to develop. Then throw in a vet or two like Winslow. THAT is how you rebuild.

10. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I see your point but I disagree. The letdown will be the loss to the Pats. Jets will win against the Steelers and have the entire fanbase thinking the Pats will be a W considering the way we last played them and how much better the O is. But we will lose again by 1 or 3 and we will release a collective sigh.

11. Lon Chaney

Almost half the games each week are decided by one or two plays. I agree that the reaction would be different, but the Jets played a pretty solid game no matter what the final outcome was.

12. Lon Chaney

I agree on that. I was just pointing out that guys with checkered pasts don't always continue down the same path.

IMO, Gordon is worth the risk. But my opinion means absolutely nothing to the Jets FO.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

As another poster said, I dont think you've seen Gordon play...

He is a top 15 WR right now, in his 2nd year, after not having a real offseason his rookie year. He is better than any of the FA's that will hit the market, and arguably better than every WR entering the draft (and I love Watkins and Mike Evans). Before you criticize other's for being "arm chair GMs, you should probably learn about who you are calling "garbage" first.

I do agree with you on the fact that it wont happen. It doesnt seem like an Idzik move, and Ive said that in almost every post that has to do with a possible Gordon trade.

And FWIW, draft picks dont always work out. We drafted Wilson in the 1st, Sanchez in the 1st, Ducasse in the 2nd, Gholston in the 1st, Shonn Greene in the 3rd, ect. There is a large percentage of missed hits on draft picks. A 3rd and a 4th for a guy that is already a stud is move that you can't NOT think about...

#33 laxin, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Guy on JI says:(don't shoot the messenger)

Rumor: Garrard On His Way Back

My friend has a source inside the organization and told me about Quinn hours before it happened. The Jets are bringing back Garrard to backup Geno because they believe they are a playoff team and want a better veteran back up.

15. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Free Agent Signings:
    [TABLE="head"]POS | PLAYER | RESULT (to date)
    RB | Mike Goodson | suspended, but showed promise in first game action
    TE | Kellen Winslow | good contributor
    OG | Willie Colon | solid starter
    NT | Antonio Garay | cut
    OLB | Antwan Barnes | productive until placed on IR
    S | Dawan Landry | solid, veteran presence
    QB | David Garrard | injured/retired
    OG | Stephen Peterman | cut[/TABLE]

Trades:
    [TABLE="head"]ACQUIRED | FORFEITED
    Chris Ivory | 2013 4th round pick
    2013 1st round pick, 2014 cond pick | Darrelle Revis[/TABLE]

Draft:
    [TABLE="head"]ROUND | POS | PLAYER | RESULT (to date)
    1 | DB | Dee Milliner | injured/inconsistent so far
    1 | NT | Sheldon Richardson | stud
    2 | QB | Geno Smith | inconsistent, but shows a lot of promise
    3 | OG | Brian Winters | solid in first start
    4 | -- | ----- | ----- |
    5 | OT | Oday Aboushi | n/a
    6 | OL | William Campbell | n/a
    7 | FB | Tommy Bohanon | solid contributor[/TABLE]

Other (good) things of note
    • Hiring Rod Graves as to assist with the talent side of being the GM
    • Getting the team out of salary cap hell with the expected/obvious moves and then some restructuring also
    • making some low risk/high reward signings in FA that have mostly paid off

Other (bad) things worth noting
    • the handling of the QB competition and Mark Sanchez's injury
    • ...?

Early on; so far so good from Idzik in my book

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i wouldn't mind it Matt, as long as his knee is good enough to practice full speed.
    he'd be an upgrade over Quinn, and seemed to have a lot of respect from the players in his limited time here.

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is an excellent move if true. Bring back a guy as a back up that is respected and has been through it all in the nfl. Great veteran leadership to help Geno grow. I'd be very happy if this happen. Very happy

18. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

NO NO NO NO....two third round picks this guy would be a waste at this point. We are not going to contend this year with Gordon, or without Gordon. Let the team be what its going to be and let the FO have a full off season together to make adjustments they see fit.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Why would it be a waste?

I mean we can go a head and spend a 1st round pick on a guy like Sammy Watkins (Im just entertaining the idea, but I dont think we will be even close to being in range to draft him). Watkins was suspended last year for worse reasons than Gordon ever was. Watkins looks to be a stud, but we dont know how or if his skills will translate to the NFL. Gordon is a stud already, and you know that you are getting a top 10-15 WR. The pick on Watkins would have to be in the top 10, so think about the investment and tell me that two thirds (which hold roughly 70% less value) is a waste.

Something tells me that a lot of people here havent seen him play...

And as far as the "competing" thing- Cleveland is 3-0 with him, 0-2 without him. He is a game changer. And he would help Geno develop into a very good QB, because that's typically what very good receivers do with QB's with a lot of potential.

#39 laxin, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wide Receiver wise, I don't see many options available in FA other than Jeremy Maclin - and he's coming off an ACL injury.

Upcoming draft, we will need to look at 2 TE / 2 WRs at the very least. I wouldn't mind Josh Gordon though for a 3rd rounder only though - that kid has hella talent. Remember Brandon Marshall went for 2 2nd rounders a few years back.