Current Status of This Team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

As I sit here, nearly 24 hours from a HUGE win in Atlanta, I can't help but think about all the positives that have come out of this. Not only last night, but this entire first half of the season. I figured I would write down my thoughts.

This was a HUGE win, and I mean HUGE. But let's step back for a minute and evaluate everything. I keep hearing playoff talk, but I want to point out that I don't think we are anywhere near playoff material, yet. Key word here is "yet". Granted, we are 3-2, astounding to many critics, but let's look at what we have so far.

1. The jury is still out, but we have a new face in our upper management. John Idzik, in my opinion, has done one hell of a job so far. We went from being in cap hell this offseason, to having a TON of money to play with next offseason. We signed guys that I feel have complimented this offense greatly, but most of all, we could possibly have signed our franchise QB in the 2nd round. Thats huge.

2. Geno Smith. Hats off to you kid. I was always high on him from draft day, but I gotta say, this kid surprised the hell out of me. He came into a hostile city and is handling himself like a true veteran. Unlike what we are used to, he owns up to his mistakes, and most of all, he fixes them. To have one of his worst games in his life, to playing out of his mind in Atlanta, is truly remarkable. The kid just has the tools to be the guy. Poise, confidence, and talent. I do think he will have some more hiccups, but man, this kid could have a bright future.

3. Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson. Two guys that I think this league will come to learn for years and years to come. As this defensive line grows together, these two guys are going to be one hell of a tandem. Having a guy like Wilkerson around to teach Richardson is truly remarkable. This defense is quickly becoming one of the best in the league and people are noticing. Best thing of all, we are demanding respect.

4. Lack of talent? I don't see it. Yes, we need better pieces, but we have one talented young group of guys on offense. We have three backs that compliment each other remarkably. We have young wide receivers that are starting to get in sync with our young QB and we have a mix of both young and veteran tight ends that are becoming a force. Cumberland, I have grown to respect you more and more as each game passes. Keep this up, and we could have a GREAT tight end set.

5. Marty Mornhinweg. Holy hell, so this is how it feels to have a bad ass at offensive coordinator? Great game he called last night and best of all, he is allowing Geno to thrive in his offense. Play to the kids strengths and allow receivers to get open. Week after week we see these guys wide open. A big part of that is in MM hands. Hats off to you Marty. :metal:

5. Rex Ryan. I can't praise this guy enough. To take a team that is "rebuilding" and ranked 32nd in the league and lead them to where we are now, is truly incredible. Tedy Bruschi and Ray Lewis both nailed it today. The players believe in him and believe in themselves because of that. Rex Ryan is a coach that brings such passion to this game, something we need from this team. This defense would be nowhere near where it is right now without him and frankly, having him around is such a bright spot in this organization. I hope he is here for a LONG time.

Overall, I can't believe where we are at right now. We will have bumps in the road, but the biggest thing we all see happening is GROWTH. We have taken a step forward and have gotten better week after week. Being a Jet fan is a tough task, we all know that, but today is a day I can sit here and proudly say that I love this team! Through all the heartaches and happiness, I can't see myself anywhere else. It's a great day to be a Jets fan boys and the sky is the limit right now. Let's take this momentum and let it roll with us into a new franchise. We are on the brink of turning the page and I think with Rex Ryan, we can do it.

J....E....T....S....JETS JETS JETS!!!

#1 Falco21, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I Am hopeful that we are heading in the right direction , but remain cautious because ... Its the Jets.

One game at a time ........I want the Steeler's.

3. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

I agree for the most parts w. #'s 2 & 3 but ESPECIALLY 5!!! I'm really IMPRESSED w. M&M's O creativity! Dude, I've been a Jet fan since '67 and he's 1 of the best Jet OC's I've seen in awhile; even more so since he's not "blessed" with the type of "offensive weaponry" found on teams like GreenBay, New O, Denver & the like. Dude's O' schemes are equal parts insane yet controlled!

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'll agree on all points but #4. I think we're still short talent on offense at this point. Too many of the pieces on that side of the ball are dependent on other pieces, making the matrix hard to maintain at times.

As an example, I think Powell and either of the other two backs is a good tandem for us but if Powell goes down things will get very shaky in a hurry for the run game.

Holmes is effective as long as somebody is there to take the top off the defense.

Holmes, Hill, Winslow and Ivory are all players with recent injury histories, making it likely they will miss time collectively and put the offense at a disadvantage.

The offensive line has a couple of really solid pieces and then a bunch of question marks with Willie Colon probably being the third best lineman and also injury prone.

We're getting lucky so far on most of this stuff. Hopefully the breaks will keep going our way but the NFL season has a way of breaking the best plans and I make the Jets plan for 2013 about a B- at the moment, mainly because of the cap and talent situation coming into the year.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that Cleveland is shopping Josh Gordon.
    It's your move Mr. GM.

6. Falco21

They're demanding a second rounder for him. That's rough

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Id offer up our 3rd and 4th or our two 3rds. As Im sure some know, I would love this trade... Sadly, it doesnt seem like an Idzik move.

Gordon is open on pretty much every play. He's fast as hell, runs good routes, has good hands and has the prototypical size of a #1 WR. If we were able to trade for him, playoffs could be a very real possibility (not that its not possible now). Obviously his off the field issues are a concern, but if he can stay out of trouble, a top 10 WR for a 2nd or two 3rds is a steal. He has Julio type ability.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

His hands are an issue. He dropped one on Hoyer and juggled one on Weeden last weekend. The question is do you add that to the Jets mix right now? With Rex trying to take a hard line on drops?

9. Falco21

I feel you man, but I just don't see it happening. That's a lot to give up for a guy with off field issues. This draft coming up is loaded with offensive talent. Idziks plan seems to be building through the draft, which is a very smart plan.

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Why are they shopping him? Is it public knowledge?

11. Falco21

It's all over every major sports network. There's even a whole article on why the 49ers should get him.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Copy that.

We barely edged a 1-3 team that may be on it's way down.

Granted, Geno played well and the D line looked impressive.

To the OP...would your enthusiastic post have been written different if we had lost by a point?

I'll go with what Geno had to say after the game..."We'll enjoy this for a bit and move on..."

Bring on the Steelers.

13. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I'd be up for a trade for Gordon if they take Clyde Gates and a 3rd rounder. :)

14. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I'm definitely not up for trading ANY picks at this stage of the season.
    There will be a number of good FAs next season, plus others that wind up on the trade block.
    Right NOW we are not a play off team and lets not forget this... one game at a time. Plus our objective was to build slowly and properly. No more knee jerk signings please.
    Code:
    Pos 	Player 	FA Status 	Previous Team 	Current Team
    WR 	Danario Alexander 	UFA 	San Diego Chargers 	Free Agent
    WR 	Anquan Boldin 	UFA 	San Francisco 49ers 	Free Agent
    WR 	Kenny BrittNew player news! 	UFA 	Tennessee Titans 	Free Agent
    WR 	Andre Caldwell 	UFA 	Denver Broncos 	Free Agent
    WR 	Terrance Copper 	UFA 	Kansas City Chiefs 	Free Agent
    WR 	Jerricho Cotchery 	UFA 	Pittsburgh Steelers 	Free Agent
    WR 	Victor Cruz 	UFA 	New York Giants 	Free Agent
    WR 	Kris DurhamNew player news! 	RFA 	Detroit Lions 	Free Agent
    WR 	Julian Edelman 	UFA 	New England Patriots 	Free Agent
    WR 	Ted Ginn Jr. 	FFA 	Carolina Panthers 	Free Agent
    WR 	Andrew Hawkins 	RFA 	Cincinnati Bengals 	Free Agent
    WR 	Devin Hester 	UFA 	Chicago Bears 	Free Agent
    WR 	Jacoby JonesNew player news! 	UFA 	Baltimore Ravens 	Free Agent
    WR 	James Jones 	UFA 	Green Bay Packers 	Free Agent
    WR 	Jeremy Maclin 	UFA 	Philadelphia Eagles 	Free Agent
    WR 	Mario ManninghamNew player news! 	UFA 	San Francisco 49ers 	Free Agent
    WR 	Marlon Moore 	UFA 	San Francisco 49ers 	Free Agent
    WR 	Joshua Morgan 	UFA 	Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
    WR 	Santana Moss 	UFA 	Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
    WR 	Louis MurphyNew player news! 	UFA 	New York Giants 	Free Agent
    WR 	Hakeem NicksNew player news! 	UFA 	New York Giants 	Free Agent
    WR 	Emmanuel Sanders 	UFA 	Pittsburgh Steelers 	Free Agent
    WR 	Brandon Tate 	UFA 	Cincinnati Bengals 	Free Agent
    WR 	Kevin Walter 	UFA 	Houston Texans 	Free Agent

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=WR&y=2014#ixzz2hDRDWr4f

Funny enough the loss of Julio Jones could pave the way for Gordon

#14 gustoonarmy, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It means nothing if we don't beat 0-4 Pittsburgh.

16. gustoonarmy

Sometimes I think its better to play winless teams away from Metlife.
    The pressure on the winless team comes from their fans, conversely the same is true the other way I believe, with the other fanbase thinking they should be blowing the other team off the field and when it doesn't happen.....

17. Mitch_Dumstein

To those armchair GMs with short memories or ADHD....

Tim Tebow for a fourth and sixth

Mark Sanchez for a first, second and players

Shonn Greene, trade up for two picks

The list goes on...Tanny left the Jets with fewer than their allocated 7 picks every April..

John Idzik stated on Day One that draft picks were precious assets and has not wavered from that mission statement for ONE minute. .

So thankfully no second and thirds will be pissed away for Josh Gordons (or Schaubs or Freemans or Blackmons or Britts or any others advocated here in recent weeks..

We have three wins in the books already and a shot at 8 or more in a rebuild season with a rook QB and seven new starters on defense. The majority of football media experts predicted three or at the most four for the season for our 32nd ranked Jets (Hi Peter King, Colin Cowherd, Skip Bayliss...countless others)

We have 12 picks and 40-50 million in cap space ready for 2014.

So please, hold off on the ideas of trades for other team's garbage and/or problems. That ship has sailed

#17 Mitch_Dumstein, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  18. gustoonarmy

[​IMG]

19. NEJets

NEJets Member

Well said, fuck the trade.
    Let's play out 2013 ~~~~ target 2014.

20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Maybe you haven't seen Gordon enough.

The guy is a legit #1 WR in the NFL. He is 22 years old and under control for the next 2 seasons at an affordable price.

If the Jets could get him for one of their 3rd rounders, it's a no-brainer and an absolute steal.