The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. nysuperscum

nysuperscum New Member

Yeah, probably just a freaky coincidence that the team he's on was 2-14 last year and they're 4-0 this year.

Bottom line is that he doesn't make mental mistakes and he doesn't make turnovers. That's really important in a league where most games are decided by a touchdown or less when turnovers are equal. That's why the good HC's choose a QB like Alex Smith in the first place, and that's why the guy has won, and will win, a heck of a lot of football games.

It also tends to help defenses perform well when their team's QB's don't make retarded mistakes and completely unnecessary turnovers.

Football is a team sport.

2. nysuperscum

nysuperscum New Member

Well, if Geno Smith is a "pocket" passer, then he's the darndest pocket passer I've ever seen, because every successful one I've ever seen steps up into the pocket. Geno runs backward. He has arm strength, but his instincts seem contrary to pocket passing, IMO.

And I'm not saying the Jets are running the same offense they did when Sanchez was a rookie. I'm saying they're making the same mistake- putting the team in the hands of a guy who is clearly not ready to handle the load. Sanchez never developed emotionally or mentally, and they just kept asking him to shoulder more. Then 2011 and 2012 happened and it was clear they had made a huge mistake, but it was too late after they signed him (inexplicably) to that huge contract. If anything, they're asking far more from Geno, and it has a much higher chance of blowing up way sooner than it did with Sanchez. It's like they learned nothing from their mistake with Sanchez.

#3762 nysuperscum, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Well if worse comes to worse. It only costs the team a second round pick?

4. HeartSpazm

HeartSpazm New Member

Between Geno and Sanchez I'm convinced we either have 2 of the dumbest QB in the game or its the coaching. I'm going with the coaching. What is with these amazing NOT top 10 plays.

#3764 HeartSpazm, Sep 30, 2013
  5. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

So much over reaction to smith's putrid game today. His 4th start. Greg Williams really confused him. The offensive line was terrible.. he's going to have games like this.. I don't know what most expect from him.. good season is geno takes every snap this year and the jets go 500. That would be an accomplishment.

I agree the turnovers are insane. The fumbles were god awful. This is going to be the entire season. Its about his long term development. I was not a fan of geno smith at all. I see allot of promise in him. He's already better than sanchez. He's going to have to learn how to play the game. Gonna be a long season. Not sure what some people are thinking, but after starting 2/1. I hope to god noone thought the jets were going to be contenders and geno smith was the second coming of christ. He's been bad in each game thus far.

To understand what it like to be a rookie qb. There a documentary on you tube about peyton Manning.. coming out of college the experts said he was the most polished college qb ever to come out. He's nfl ready..

Anyway, I think most would agree peyton is arguable the best ever. In this documentary he explains that during his rookie season he use to break the huddle and say.. please god let marvin be open, cause I won't be able to get to my second read. Lol.

I give that example to help some of you keep in perspective what geno smith is going through. He's a rookie qb. Whose awful.. will be the entire season. But you hope he learns from all the bad that's gonna come with him this season.

Going to be a long ugly season for smith.. be prepared for allot more bad to come. But don't crucify the kid after 4 games.

6. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Good post. Still need to catch that Manning doc.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Very accurate?

You don't call 57.4% passing 'accurate.'
    You don't call 4 TD-8 INT performance 'accurate.'

Say he's going through his rookie days. I can take that. Say he's going through his growing pains. I can take that too.

Accurate? Like Sanchez? Just what the fuck are you smoking?

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's 57.4% with a fair number of throwaways already this year because his receivers can't reliably get open. There have also been a fair number of drops so far.

Marty Mornhinweg tracks accuracy as a separate stat from completion percentage and he's said several times that accuracy is not the problem for Geno.

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Problems with Smith:
    No pocket presence - why is he always back pedaling?
    No ball awareness - you scramble for the first down...for some reason go horizontal and have the ball hanging in your hand with three defenders around you? Trying to pass the ball behind your back?
    Sloppy footwork - so many high throws, throws off the back foot, doesn't drive the ball, seems like a deer in headlights at times.
    Smith needs to be able to hit the easy passes - a quick slant being one that forces a defense to be honest but he has yet to show the ability to hit one.

Every used to complain when Sanchez was given a free pass because he was a rookie, was a top pick, we had no back up, etc... Can't make the same mistake with Smith just because he was the 39th pick. If he is doing more harm than good you let Simms or Quinn take some snaps. As for too much pressure on Smith -- it's the NFL and even rookie QBs are expected to play at a high level.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Maybe he's back peddling because he's in the shotgun and the natural move for a QB is to backup from the center and step up and throw. Much harder to do from the shotgun. It's also harder to do when the D is intent on pressuring you up the middle between two guards who can run block but can't pass block a lick.

11. Br4d

He was backpedaling yesterday because there was no pocket to step up into most of the game. That was a vintage 2007 pass-blocking performance we saw against the Titans.

12. 85inthehall

roll right roll left step up go down throw it away...geno goes backwards while pump faking and trying to change hands behind his back.

He had 5 options...he made up option 6 and 7

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but I believe he was backpedaling on those two plays by the endzone because they were screen passes and it appeared on both plays he was trying to find a receiver to spike the ball at their feet but was unable to find what he thought was a safe spot. But I agree it is much better to run out of the pocket and throw it away if possible.

While I don't think he gave up, at some point in the 4th quarter it appeared the physical and mental beating he took was just too much and he lost his composure. Particularly a play late in the game where upon a rush he became confused where to go and ran sideways to backwards to his left into a sack. It looked very much like a Sanchez panic type of sack although unlike Sanchez he did at least appear to keep his eyes open while running. At that point I think Smith was mentally cooked.

14. 85inthehall

Teams also see that Geno is a one trick pony -- can't throw quick passes, doesn't trust slants, is below average throwing a screen, and it takes him time to do anything because he only seems to look 15 yards + down the field. Makes it easy for the defense to just pin their ears back and rush. Plus giving away the ball 4 times helps too.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They might but since Geno has thrown some beautiful slants and screens I doubt it.

16. Br4d

The place Geno goes a lot of the time is to the right. We've seen that enough to know it's where he wants to go. He throws the ball out on the right sideline most of the time.

Yesterday he had a ton of interior pressure, as both guards had bad days in pass protection, and he also had people leaking in around the edges.

Not to excuse his solutions, because they weren't solutions, but he really had nowhere to go most of the day and he backed up instead of making quick throwaways on several throws he should have just thrown away.

He's going to have to figure that out because you cannot give up ground like that in the face of the rush. That's just adding 5 yards to the sack and increasing the chances of a turnover.

One thing that Geno does not have down yet is when to just go down and protect the football. He's probably never been asked to do that in his life and he's going to have to figure that one out also.

If the Jets pass protection doesn't get better it won't matter though. You can't develop a young QB in the context of weak pass protection.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

this is ridiculous. Ryan Leaf had no interest in putting in the effort of being an NFL QB, it had nothing to do with him being asked to play too soon.

additionally, the majority of QB's that are drafted but aren't made starters right away never amount to quality starters either, or ever become starters despite sitting and learning. some do, the majority do not.

not one single thing you said above has any merit whatsoever. and the RLS wasn't clever to boot.

18. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

I wonder how many receivers he will get hurt this season. Hill down, Kerley limped off again...

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I still think he has shown some good things so far this year, there just wasnt anything from yesterdays game.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

agree and i was not supportive of drafting him but they did and we are seeing him in the fire.....

there is something there, does throw a good ball, can take a hit, and can even throw a screen pass without screwing that up like MS.

However is that where the good ends?? his pocket awareness and scrambling ability are less than average - of course he didn't need that in college. none of us know where his ceiling is and to see him turn it over so much in a QB friendly offense is no doubt alarming.

the rookie excuse can only go so far but we also have to remember the talent on offense is not much better than last year - especially if these guys keep going down.

#3780 jilozzo, Sep 30, 2013