The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think (well hope) that's him needing to adjust to the speed of the NFL game...

2. NewYorkEveryThing

That TD pass to santonio was one of the best passes I seen a jet QB throw in a long time. He is a NFL QB. He is a pure passer which I love and can scramble a little. He will cut down on the INTs as he develops. Look at ELI ? He still throws picks left and right. Where is JETFA

#3422 NewYorkEveryThing, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

First, I dont' care about the total yards at this point. I was referring more to his completion percentage in the interceptions so far. Geno's also on a pace to far exceed the pass attempts that Sanchez had his rookie year.

Geno's picks have been of the rookie mistake types and I'm not comparing what Geno will be compared to what Sanchez is, only the similarities of rookie seasons and the fact that most rookies struggle with completion percentage and interceptions. The question with Geno is will he mature past it? The full answer that is 2-3 years away, but we should see signs of improvement from week to week.

4. NewYorkEveryThing

Sanchez never threw for over 300+ yards really ever. You need a QB no matter if a INT here or there to throw for yards and TDs. Geno and co. all were top fantasy players this week. Even powell was a top fantasy RB this week . Marty is a good play caller also. Geno is even making Tone wanna get in on this action. Might be getting a little ahead of myself .

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think geno is being given quite a bit at this point. normally you see a rookie qb coddled a little bit at the 3rd week. they give them easier throws, single reads, half the field to throw to.

geno is being given difficult throws down field and is being asked to put the ball up alot at this point. he is over 30 attempts each game i believe.

that is impressive to me, no kids gloves with geno it doesnt appear, and they know he is going to make mistakes and seem to be taking them in stride.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

That touchdown to Holmes was the best pass thrown since Sanchez dropped a dime in Braylon's pocket on the sideline vs Houston in the comeback win

7. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

And that is HUGE. He is a very good receiver when his head is in the game and he's healthy. He had no confidence in Sanchez. I think that really hurt the last 2 yrs. If he's playing hard and hill can keep holding on to the ball, this O could be a force.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Believe it or not, Mark Sanchez has 7, 300 yard games.

Both excellent throws. But man that Geno throw was just ON THE MONEY my God. That and the pass to Hill.

#3428 101GangGreen101, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Actually 8.

_

10. feldspar

feldspar Member

Unbelievably thrown ball on that play.

But people should keep in mind that the Bills' top THREE corners were out of this game...and also their starting free safety. They switched their strong safety over to cornerback, too. Geno was playing against second stringers and band-aids entirely.

None of that takes away from that pass, though.

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yup - and most of the dropped passes from the 1st 2 games were in the zone as well. the accuracy has not been bad. its more the footwork if anything.

12. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Loving some of his throws thus far but Im going to be a little critical here and say he needs to cut the turnovers down, 7 total turnovers in 3 games from him already. I love that he acknowledges the mistakes in his pressers and admits that he needs to fix it but I want to see improvement next week. I know everyone Is happy about being 2-1 but were 3-0 if he doesnt implode in that 4th quarter.

Your not going to win a lot of games in this league turning the ball over 2+ times every week. With that being said he has made some big time NFL throws so far.

13. jilozzo

and sanchez may some big time NFL throws back in the day. and we see how that has evolved.

at least smith doesn't take the bread n butter NFL throws and turn them into misadventures, like sanchez.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Texans in 2010 had prob the 2nd worst pass D in NFL History I believe next to the Saints of last year?

Jason Allen was GARBAGE that year for the Texans.

His footwork is holding him back and is causing him to throw INTs. The fact that he doesn't STEP up in the pocket hurts also - the INT early in the Bills game could of been a TD (or big play) if he steps up in the pocket. He is accurate I agree. Ball placement is there, THROWING THE WR OPEN is there - huge.

It appears the mental aspect he's getting down-packed a lot faster than I expected. I thought it would take a few seasons.

15. jilozzo

fully agree with this especially against the tougher part of the schedule coming up in October.

16. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

It's one thing to be able to recognize the favorable matchups, but its another to actually be able to take advantage of them and attack them. In the past we would have made those corners look Revis.

17. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

People are still talking about Mark Sanchez after that game? :rofl:

18. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Geno had 300 yards rushing and passing in two of his first three games. He has 879 yards so far combined passing and rushing.

He's on pace for 4272 yards passing and 4688 yards total.

and he might keep getting better.....

19. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I believe only Newton and Luck have thrown for 4,000 yards as rookies. Maybe Peyton too

20. feldspar

feldspar Member

What are you talking about?

Every single matchup was favorable. The Bills had NONE of their starters playing in the secondary...NONE. Literally none. The only starter in the secondary that was in there was switched to CB from SS, so even he was out of position.

So let's not be anointing Geno just yet...not saying you were doing that. It's just clearly obvious to any armchair quarterback to attack the Bills' 2nd/3rd string secondary. That's not rocket science, and anyone would do that.

An effective running game didn't hurt, either.

You take it where you can.