The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

He played well -- inconsistent, but made some big throws. Don't like that he under threw Hill on his first deep ball. Left a lot of yards on that play and lucky no one was covering him.

The pick on the throw to Holmes was set up for a long gain if he throws that ball up and over -- too flat and short again.

Got away with a couple of questionable throws.

The non-stop penalties really messed with the flow on both offense and defense. Game was nice to win, but painful to watch.

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I just love when he throws the ball away. He had at least 5-6 intentional throwaways today. Love to see a young QB so patient and smart.

Besides the 2nd INT I only saw one other bad play that bothered me and that was incomplete pass he threw late in the game where he hesitated and just threw it. It looked very much like a Sanchez type of decision. Both the 2nd INT and that late in-completion were just horrible decisions especially considering the circumstances in the game. There are INTs and bad INTs. The 2nd INT was a bad INT very Sanchize like. The first similar to the 2nd and 3rd INTs in NE were not bad INTs. But the 2nd INT and the 1st one against NE are the kind of plays a QB cannot continue to make. But other than those two bad plays today he kept his head and cool pretty much all game.

#3402 Noam, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He was impressive today. His ability to shake off mistakes is refreshing... hope we have something here.

Geno! Geno! Geno!

4. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

Barely over 50% completion rate & 2 inexplicable picks but a GREAT defensive effort saved the day, let me not leave out a great pass & a better 1 handed catch to take the lead & ultimately the win....sounds so much like Sanchez's 1st two years, hopefully we have a better end result.

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Geno's hill to Holmes and Holmes' magnificent catch was perhaps one of the best plays I have seen in a while. Amazing.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Haven't had a deep passing game here in years

7. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

It smells nothing of SUCKCHEZ at all. Geno has tons more talent and is still raw as can be. He is growing by leaps and bounds. Sucky stayed average for the most part and hid behind he a great run game and defense. This kid has a shot to be an excellent QB and when necessary pick the team up and carry it to victory! Give the man time to develop and stop with the Suckchez comparisions. They are unfounded!

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe that dropfest up in NE shamed the Wr corps into concentrating more on catching the ball this week. Holmes actually looked 2 steps faster than last week too and Hill? Just might be something after all.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

This is pretty much spot on. Geno's having a rookie type year that you normally expect, much like Sanchez's rookie season. The question is whether Geno matures and cuts down the rookie mistakes over the remainder of the season and in to next season and beyond. Geno, like Sanchez, has shown flashes thus far in his rookie season. It all depends on if he adjusts and grows in to the role of a true NFL QB or if he just stays stagnant in development like Sanchez did, and like so many other promising rookies in the NFL's history have.

But there's been a lot to like, but he does need to improve his completion efficiency over time and he needs to cut down the interceptions over time. neither of those two things am I going to ride him on in his rookie season because I expect it from a rookie.

10. Midlife Crysis

I'm happy with what's he shown so far. As others have said the critical thing is whether he improves as the season progresses and (hopefully) in Year 2.

Watching Geno (and others) develop has made for a fun season so far.

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Suckchez cute think of that all by yourself? You are wrong very fair comparison except not a shot at geno but a compliment.

A couple big mistakes couple brilliant throws

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I hope we have something with Geno as we will win enough games this year to take us out of the running for a top QB prospect and if he does OK then we wont spend a 1st rounder on one anyway.

I thought he did OK yesterday but he is still nearly killing us with his turnovers - he has the second highest number of interceptions in the NFL (after only Eli Manning)

13. Gator

Gator Active Member

Seems kinda weak if after calling people that disagree with you all kinds of names and you're posting after the game to not come to this thread and maybe say a few things like....maybe Geno is a little better than I thought....Sorry for calling you ignorant dumbfux.

...but he's got 32,000 posts so obviously he knows more than any other poster. The numbers don't lie. :)

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I would still like to see Geno run the ball a bit more. I think he's go the quickness to pick up a few yards, maybe not Kapernick yards but even four or five yards here and there couldn't hurt.

I get that he's a pocket passer and not a run-first QB and I respect that, I just think they should utilize it more like they did with the designed TD run yesterday. Or even if he would audible into a run if the coverage looks sparse up the middle and he's got an empty backfield (which is the only time you'd find coverage sparse in the middle).

Personally not a huge fan of the run-option and I think they've run a few plays out of the pistol formation but they seem to be pretty keen on running WC and whatnot to throw opposing D off balance so why not a bit of QB runs?

15. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

The one thing I like about Geno that I can see is that when he throws a deep ball, it doesn't look like he is just heaving it downfield with all his strength - there is control and poise.

PMannning, Rogers and Brees are the best that I've seen at it. Vick as well. They can throw a deep ball relatively quickly, with accuracy and thought. I always remembered Sanchez's deep ball throw looking like he was just winding up and heaving it. He would turn his head away and have this huge windup.

Geno is not at Rogers level, but looks to be much more in control of his deep ball that Mark was.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The concerning thing about Geno's deep ball was that he could not throw it in the rain. Lets hope that was just one off or it will be a long November and December.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I like that he's looked better in week 3 than he did in week 2, and etc. this kid has lots of potential hopefully he can build chemistry with the receivers and he can cut down on the turnovers.

18. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I agree. The only problem is that he's underthrown a couple of them. the 1st deep ball to hill on the first drive was a TD if he throws it out in front. The 1st int was a long gain at worst if he throws it over the top. It's not like he was throwing to slow receivers last year either.

Even though he's thrown a lot of picks, I still don't feel like I did with Sanchez every time he drops back. I think he can actually make throws and put the ball where it needs to be instead of making 4-6 bonehead throws every game.

19. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Geno is not having a rookie season anything like Sanchez's. Geno is on pace to throw for 4,300 yards. Mark threw for 2,800 his rookie year. I can't believe how any fan could even compare the roles the two players had on their respective teams their rookie compaigns. Mark's role was throw it maybe 20 times a game and please don't screw it up too bad (20 INTs says he did anyway). Geno is being asked to throw it 30+ times a game and is gaining large chunks of yardage for us through the air. Not to mention Geno's obviously physical advantages over Mark are undeniable.

20. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I'd like him to cut down on the INTs too, but being near the league lead in INTs doesn't mean you're a bad QB. Brees, Peyton, Warner, etc. have all led the league in INTs numerous times. It's when you throw for 3,200 yards like Sanchez and lead the league in INTs that it just kills the offense. If you are throwing for 4,000+ yards and near the league lead in INTs, it isn't as detrimental to the offense. I suspect with more seasoning Geno will cut down on them, but if he can lead a dangerous passing attack downfield, I can live with a few.