Best rivalry in the NFL?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ArmandJ, Sep 18, 2013.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the Jets-Patriots rank right up there as the best. Both teams seem to despise each other both on and off the field. Every week leading up to the game, there is a little gamesmanship on both sides...spygate...belichick leaving...parcells...this has it all.

That being said, I think Ravens-Steelers are a close second. Seahawks-Niners seems to be helped by the fact that both teams have dynamic young QBs and interesting coaches. Might be what a lot of younger fans will remember as a very good rivalry

2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Eagles and cowboys pretty rough as well

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Ravens-Steelers for now. Jets-Pats has been one sided unfortunately. Both Steelers and Ravens won Superbowls in the last 5 years with their existing Quarterbacks.

4. Jetsfan7

Jetsfan7 Active Member

The most intriguing one for me right now is the Seahawks-49ers.

The best historically is the Packers-Bears.

The best over the past few years has been a toss up between Jets-Pats and Steelers-Ravens.

Just my opinion.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Seahawks-49ers right now. They don't like each other, they let it be known, games are aggressive and we see them play 2x a season.

Recent big rivalries:

Steelers-Ravens. This has faded quickly but was a big one with the Steelers getting the upper edge.

Pats-Ravens. This one is still big in my mind, but with Lewis and Reed and Pollard and Welker and Hernandez all gone it feels like it's kind of lost some of it's luster. They teams probably don't like each other, but some key players all moved on.

NFC East- The fluctuation of all these teams lead to some interesting inter-division games but I really can't pick out just one matchup that stands above the rest.

EDIT: An overlooked one is Saints-Falcons too. That has produced some very entertaining games. The problem is that nothing usually comes out of this rivalry in the media, just good games.

#5 displacedfan, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Jets-Dolphins is a rivalry. The Jets-Patriots has not been a rivalry because its been so onesided as of late.

The NFL is in a state of transition, not many major rivalries tbh. Broncos-Patriots is the new rivalry, same with 49ers-Seahawks. The Giants-Cowboys have put on some great games over the recent years, Saints-Falcons seems like the longest lasting one despite being overlooked.

7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Guys, I know you are Jets fans, but one-sided rivalries are NOT rivalries. Nobody other than jets fans would consider patriots-jets a rivalry. The patriots have DOMINATED the jets. Of the last 15 games you guys have played, the patriots have won 11 of them. That is not a rivalry.

Ravens-Steelers has been good, although that may change this year, we'll see.

I think the new, young rivalry is Seattle-San Francisco.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey dildo. One person in this thread thinks that Jets-Pats is the best rivalry.

9. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

AFC

NE v BAL has been a good slug fest lately with both teams heading to the SB after knocking each other off.

NE v DEN should be good for a few more years with the Brady v Manning debate, always a good game.

NE v NYJ was good but has been sidelined in recent seasons, when both teams are competing its a very fun event, lots of trash talk, lots of emotion on the field, etc.

BAL v PIT is kinda the same as NE v NYJ right now, PIT has been trending down while the Ravens just won a SB.

NFC

ATL v NO is decent for watching a good shootout twice a year, not much talk though.

SEA v SF can be decent, for whatever reason though, this one doesn't get me all that excited. The teams are great but they're boring to me. They don't have nearly the same amount of history of any of the other rivalries, it's too young. It has potential to be a great one, though.

The NFC, while probably the better conference, is also a lot more boring in my eyes right now. The AFC has a lot of great rivalries.

It's probably because in the AFC it's the same players year in and year out, always meeting in the playoffs with very important games. For the past 6-10 years it's been NE, Manning led teams, BAL, and PIT (until very recently) every season. The NFC has far more parity than the AFC so rivalries don't last to become popular. Just interdivisional rivalries between not so great teams like within the NFCE.

10. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

I don't see any true rivalries in today's NFL.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Rams/Cardinals, Browns/Ravens, LA Raiders/Oakland Raiders

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Jets and Dolphins for me.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I agree, between 2008-2011 the Jets were 4-5 against the Patriots. Thats when it was considered a rivalry, four full season of back and forth venom with so many twists and turns. The Patriots have now won 5 straight games against the Jets, thats not a rivalry.

The NFL dont need rivalries though, they strive no matter what. Baseball is a sport that needs rivalries, otherwise people dont get to excited for the games.

14. Combustible Rextible

Broncos - Chiefs rivalry looks ready to heat up and could be really good the next couple of years.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

split in 2006 regular, lost playoffs

split in 2008

split in 2009

split in 2010 regular, won playoffs

Throw in Mangini and Bill handshaking and spygate it was a decent rivalry to end the 2000-2010 decade

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

cowboys - redskins
    bears - packers
    steelers - ravens

these are the real rivalries i see in the nfl. no matter what the situation they will be heated battles and the younger folks in teh bears/packers and cowboys/redskins get it because the older folks wont let them be fans if they dont get it.

jets - dolphins used to be that way but jets fans have gone soft on the dolphins and now have some silly rivalry with the patriots. sure the patriots have been dominant the last 10 years but the jets and dolphins were hated rivals for years and years before anyone cared about the patsies

17. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Cowboys Redskins

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

We always play the Pats tough in one game each year. They just happened to have edged us recently. When games erupt into brawls, I'd say that's a pretty strong rivalry. It's not about the wins, it's about the hatred for each other. By your logic, the Bills don't have any rivals since they routinely get dominated by all teams in recent times.

#18 Barcs, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

My all-time favorite sports rivalry is Yankees/Red Sox. Prior to the Sox coming back from down 3-0 in the playoffs against the Yanks, that rivalry was just year after year after year of the Yanks being the hammer to the Red Sox nail. The Yankees domination certainly didn't diminish the rivalry though.

Maybe I'm biased, but I think the Jets/Pats is definitely a top 5 NFL rivalry at the very least.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Redskins-Cowboys, Bears-Packers, of course Jets-Dolphins for us Jets fans. Jets-Patriots is good too.

Steelers-Ravens, Seahawks-49ers are good too. Packers-Vikings was good for awhile.