The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

If Geno is not the Qb it means we will draft one so whats the use of try simms he will never be the QB of the NYJ there for is a waste of time i rather see completly if Geno can be the guy or not.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We've been through this already. Ruining Geno this year on the field isn't going to indicate if he can be our guy or not. Sitting him might help him. He should get some time on the field and some time on the bench to digest. So should SImms.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Have U ever been in a draft room with RR? If not then U really are only SPECULATING. I would suspect that RR may have have handed in the MS draft pick as he was the advocate for signing him. U remember what RR said after drafting him he can make every throw on the field buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut RR forgot to test his decision making skills under pressure on the field which has turned out to be one of his biggest errors. :sad:

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Geno isn't the guy then you try all of your options. Rex Ryan already stated that many people in the org like Simms.

So if Geno shits the bed, you find out what another guy has.

The Jets have absolutely nothing but dumb fans invested into Geno Smith.

"What's the use of try Simms"?

Stop being a fanboy. You don't know shit about football.

#3344 abyzmul, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

If Geno doesn't show any promise, there is no harm putting Simms in to see what he can do in Marty's system. Simms showed real promise. Maybe Rex doesn't see him as a starter but looks like some in the organization see. He at least deserves a chance if Geno keeps throwing multiple INT's more often than not.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We really should be 0-2 but that's another argument for another day.. If Smith continues throwing picks instead of TD passes, then there's no harm in sitting Smith for a few games and taking Simms for a test run just to see if there really IS something there to work with.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about Geno, I like what I've seen.

8. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

why would you start a guy who isnt an NFL player(simms?) he is only in the league because of his dad. he had no business even playing college. he is an awful awful player.

he wasnt even a great high school player for christ sake

9. abyzmul

I can't remember ever reading an intelligent post from you, but I will respond anyway.

Matt Simms did not benefit from having an NFL father at any point in college.

Then he went undrafted and spent his rookie year on a practice squad, and then earned his way into an active roster by playing really well in preseason.

You look like a complete fucking moron by stating that the only reason he is here is because of his father.

You may actually be the most worthless poster on this forum, and that is saying something when you are competing with TNJet.

10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You can't deny the stuff he did during Pre season. He at least deserves a shot IF Geno struggles again and again and again. Forget about college or the past. This is a new year and with what he showed so far, Simms deserve a shot. I am not alone. Lots of Jets fan thinks like me and looks like some in the front office thinks the same.

11. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Is the first part of your post really necessary? You do that a lot.. Put people down.. Does it make you feel good?

12. abyzmul

That depends.

Does it apply to you?

:)

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Why are they dumb fans? Because they dont agree with you?

Rex said people in the organization like Simms, but not as the starting QB. If you are going to use that to support your argument, then you cant ignore the fact that the coaching staff and the entire organization is backing Geno right now as the starting QB. Its funny how the argument is "if Geno isn't the guy".... why not the kid a chance to prove he is not the guy, before you call for a backup who looked good, not great, in the 4th preseason game against the backups of an already pitiful defense that just got beat on by the Chargers and Chiefs.

Its clear the Jets think Geno Smith has a better chance at succeeding so... I'll let him prove to me otherwise- and he certainly hasnt done that so far.

14. abyzmul

Good post!

Dumbfuck!

:)

15. Cman68

Cmon now JJ. Matt Simms is NOT Tim Tebow II ok? You're starting to sound like a Tebot when it comes to Smith. If Simms is that bad, why so much fear in letting him play with the 1's?

If Simms sucks as badly as you say he does, why is he still on the roster as Rex could have easily went with 2 Qb's (Brady Quinn barely qualifies) and Sanchez waiting in the wings..

That's the one thing that seems to stand out most with the GenoBots. They have this fear of Simms even getting a wiff of the field with the starting roster as they are forever pointing out Simms' performance was always against lower tier talent.

If Simms is so bad, why are you so afraid of him playing?

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

I guess Im the dumbest of them all

17. Cman68

In case you haven't noticed, Byz is the Anti-Junc. :)

Just a lil ting to keep in the back of your mind.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

he's been fine not spectacular

I really wont judge him until after the bye to see what adjustments he makes in his game

19. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

lol not sure if Byz is trolling or actually he means what he says if so i wont get in a argument with him , cuz you just dont argue with stupid people they will ground you to their level and beat you at it.

20. north06

north06 New Member

Geno Smith is by far the better choice between him and Matt Simms. There is a profound reason why Matt was undrafted! And that Geno was drafted in the second round. Also that Geno was the MVP of the 2012 Orange Bowl. Of course college football is not on the same level as the NFL; hence why Geno needs time to learn.

There is another QB who averaged almost 2 INT's per game during his rookie season: his name is Peyton Manning! He had 28 picks in year 1. I am not trying to imply that Geno will be the next Peyton as it will be awhile before any QB accomplishes that level of excellence but that even the great ones have to learn the game. As has been duly noted, last year was an anomalous one in which a plethora of rookie QB's had phenomenal success: RG3, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson and Colin Kapernick come to mind.

So there is a new barrier for rookie QB's to hurdle in order to be validated as "the real deal!" Also we live in a time in which people have very short attention spans.

All these things conspire against Geno's acceptance in the hearts and minds of fans. However I recall this Jet team being rated number 32 out of 32 teams by a major sports media outlet. But all of a sudden with a win against Tampa and a near win against a New England team that had on the field execution issues probably worse than the Jets did, and fans are getting impatient. Don't!!!

Geno has an intangible that Mark Sanchez and Matt Simms do not: poise! Geno definitely needs to release the ball sooner and have a greater sense of where he is insofar as field position/scoring opportunities, i.e., no pick-6 in the red zone, but those abilities will come with experience.

However, despite the aforementioned, his poise and leadership are intangibles that you can't teach. And those qualities have been acknowledged by his team mates on both sides of the ball and also by sophisticated football analysts. That coupled with a stronger arm and quicker release than his QB counterparts on the Jets and 4.5 second/40 yard dash quickness and I think the Jets have a winner.

I just think he needs an entire season to develop and what better time then one in which the team is rebuilding. Idzik has a proven track record in these endeavors so I am going to defer to him... Go Jets!!!

#3360 north06, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013