The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Soprano was hired because they felt Shottenheimer was running an O that didn't go with Rex's philosophy of D and running the ball. It's the same reason that MM and Rex probably aren't going to work out.

#3281 Biggs, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

College football matters not a lick once a player moves into the NFL other than in securing a first contract.

Your opinion is highly prejudiced on this matter.

3. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Exactly. The debate is absurd to have now and mostly stirred up by troll beat writers and angry Giant fans who want to distract from how terrible their team has been so far.

Simms had a very undistinguished college career. We've seen 3rd string QBs light up preseason before. The problem is Geno has a few growing pains and people forget about the higher ceiling and ignore the flashes he has shown so far. What kind of ceiling do people really imagine Simms has when he wasn't even good in college? Yes, here and there you have the out of nowhere story like Warner or Romo but those guys weren't given starting opportunities their rookie season, they had to develop their skills and improve signifcantly beyond the types of players they were in college before seeing the field in the NFL.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The reality is Both Simms and Geno are likely to not be great pro's. Geno was passed over by the Jets twice. That doesn't indicate belief. That indicates it's worth throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Sanchez had an undistinguished college career and was the 5th pick in the draft. Warner had an undistinguished College background and bagged grocery's. Tebow had the most distinguished College career and can't throw the football.

5. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Dalton, Kaepernick both recent 2nd round picks that have had success in the pros. We passed over Geno twice because Rex would rather jump off a bridge than not take a defensive player with a first round pick. The only first rounder we took on offense under Rex was Sanchez, need I say anything else about his ability to evaluate offensive talent in the early rounds?

Geno looked like one of the top players in college football for a good chunk of last season. Simms wasn't even on the radars of opposing SEC coaches. They are different level prospects

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Just because you dont draft a player with your first pick doesn't mean you cant have faith in them. It might just mean that you thought you could get them later or they will take more work to be the player you think they can become.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets could easily have seen Geno Smith as a second-tier prospect that they might be able to develop into a good QB, just like Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick of recent fame.

I saw Geno Smith as the best of a flawed group of QB prospects. For the record I thought Landry Jones was the next best QB in the class and that none of them were guaranteed to do anything when they were drafted.

When you take a guy like that you do one of two things. You either sit him behind an established vet until the opportunity presents to put him on the field in his best possible light or if you don't have that vet you throw him onto the field and you do what you can to develop him.

Ideally you already have a good QB and the guy becomes Aaron Rodgers, sitting and learning for awhile until his time comes. The Jets didn't have that guy. The Jets had no QB they could project to play for them in 2015 going into the draft.

So they did what was inevitable at some point during the 2013 draft. They hit the point in the draft where the value was there and they grabbed a QB. They had to do that.

Now they need to follow up on it and either get him going or put him on the shelf, after determining that nothing is going to get him going right now, and draft another guy next year.

All the rest of this stuff is ridiculous to contemplate.

You want to hear the word circus thrown around like it never went away? Just put Matt Simms on the field and have the move not work out. It would take the franchise a solid year just to get the ringing out of their ears.

#3287 Br4d, Sep 19, 2013
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Again Rex Ryan DOES NOT HAND IN THE DRAFT CARD, he does not have the final say on who we draft. The GM buys the groceries. Milner and Richardson were the higher on their respective draft board. Why do you think no one else selected Geno Smith in the first round. Tavon Austin an offensive player was the highest on the board.

God forbid we did draft him in the first round. I would of been pissed.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you honestly believe the Jets or any other NFL team had Geno Smith rated ahead of Richardson and Milner you're smoking crack.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that is silly. Joe Montana was drafted in the 3rd round, that didn't mean the Niners didn't think he was worth shit and were just seeing if something would stick.

not being a 1st round pick doesn't mean a team thinks they are shit; players aren't drafted in isolation without any regards for any other player available at the time.

what it indicated was that the Jets didn't think he was worth a 1st round pick, and were willing to risk not getting him if he wasn't there in the 2nd. it means they did not think he had proven to be an elite QB and worthy of a 1st round pick, not that they didn't think he could be one in the NFL.

#3290 JetBlue, Sep 19, 2013
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Drafting Geno in the second round in a year where early draft picks mean small salary...

There's no commitment there.

There just isn't.

12. Denny

Denny Active Member

Biggs whether or not that's true I do not see a valid reason for this relationship not working out. I think Rex is more flexible now than he ever has been. For many reasons, namely his job on the line. If you have the ability to move downfield as MM's offensive gameplans have shown. The potential to score some where between 20 - 30 points a game is viable. Of course if these tards can hold onto the ball. Save for Holmes of course. But putting that detail aside for a moment, if the running game at best can run out a clock in the last series and make a push in the redzone when needed Rex's defense has the ability to Tee off on opposing QB's with a lead don't you think? I can't see where Rex would not be in favor of this. Next draft is going to be more offensive minded I think in the early rounds. IMHO

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

True, he gets paid like 4 million for a total of 4 years.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The Jets should make football decisions now based on what the media would say or write? If Geno keeps shitting the bed they will have no choice but to try something different lets hope that is not the case and the Jets keep winning. As I said earlier Rex will not wait until the Jets are 2-7 to make a QB change if that is why we are losing.

As I also said if Geno does not start throwing the ball sooner he will no last to the bye week.

15. abyzmul

This is only true with QBs that can only play in one system or another.

I think you are correct for the Jets' situation, and probably for Geno's.

I'll put myself out there now.

If the Jets' powers that be ever find their assholes in the dark with a flashlight, Smith will find the bench and he will never get off it in favor of Simms.

Matt Simms is a better QB than Geno is, and ever will be.

And it will be proven this season, and continue to be proven for years.

That's not to say that Geno won't win some games. He's comparable to Romo. A smart QB without the right stuff.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

could all the running in 2009-2010 have stunted marks growth? a qb that is handing off 60+% of the time isn't really learning the passing game is he?

and tony s was first hired as a solid for bill parcells and secondly was supposed to be paired with todd haley, no one wanted him to be soley responsible for the offense and that is why he was gone after 1 season.

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

wow look at the big balls on abyz (should be brad in the reference i am making) interesting prediction, i dont know nearly enough about simms at this point to say its right or wrong, but its ballsy

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Huh?

Matt Simms, the player who only has, what- 6 quarters of meaningless preseason play- is better than Geno Smith ever will be?

Doesnt seem like the coaching staff and the entire organization agrees with that...

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Isnt this what every team does when drafting?... What is wrong with using college as a large portion of evaluating a rookie who has played 2 games, and another 2nd year guy who has only played a few quarters of meaningless preseason games?

20. abyzmul

Exactly. I knew you were an English major.