The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

IMO, Geno played pretty damn well for the vast majority of this game. C'mon guys, we all would rather he take a 2 yard sack than force a throw... during the second quarter especially, he was running for his life and avoided a number of sacks with his legs.

The killer was the damn interception at the 20 yard line with 10 or so left in the fourth quarter. That was a 3rd and 4 and a throw he shouldn't have made, he should have tucked it to try and get the first and run out of bounds if he didn't make it. That sets up a long, but makeable field goal. Instead, the bad bounce off Santonio and then we were off to the races of crap.

Things to remember:

There were a RIDICULOUS amount of drops. Just insane. That's going to cause your rookie QB to press.

The weather was putrid: Geno's butterfly throws (of which there were two or three) came in the pretty steady rain. Not an excuse, but just something to recall.

Gates dropped one TD pass he absolutely should have had, and another 40 yard pass that he probably should have had. If he makes either (or, as he should have, both, it's a different game).

Finally, remember the stupid Hill kicked fumble/return. That was a free 3 points, and btw, DAMN Props to the defense for holding them for only 3. But that three was the difference.

For all of you giving up on this kid, take a ten minute breather and think about the entire game. He's cool as a cucumber out there and can make all the throws. Personally, I think MM is putting too much on him, especially considering how effective the run was all game (averaging over 4 a carry means RUN until they stop you). He made a few rookie mistakes, most caused by pressing towards the end of the game. Now we just have to wait and see how he bounces back. Something tells me he will.

2. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

He should just go and have surgery that will end his season, then the Jets should finally cut his ass.

3. The Swamp

The Swamp New Member

Not a troll. But certainly nonsensical.

4. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

Well said! I'm out.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

And then they miss their own flaws.
    We lost because Sanchez didn't have WRs
    Sanchez led us to the playoffs and won 4 playoff games! (leaving out our defense, run game, and the team)

Root for the QB who is our QB. That's Geno. He's learning, he needs to get better read on those fly patterns. He seems to expect back shoulder throws or is just underestimating how much ground the WR/DB can cover when he floats it up.

He played bad but again he showed flashes of why he was drafted. The kid is 2 games in and people want Matt Simms. If we benched QBs after 3 INT performances, we would have benched Sanchez 8 times in the past 4 years.

Let's use Geno's play to evaluate Geno, not an injured QB.

Geno played bad. Geno showed flashes. The WRs played bad. The WR core is not healthy. The offense lacks playmakers, the defense looks great.

6. nysuperscum

nysuperscum New Member

Both teams played terribly tonight. The difference is that the Patriots are 2-0 in the division, and they'll probably get better over the season, while the Jets have a time bomb called Sanchez on the sidelines nursing an injury and doing his best to create a controversy where there should be none by saying he "won" the job over a rookie who, frankly, didn't look that good in the preseason. Sanchez is showing why most people who've followed the Jets the last 5 years have come to the conclusion that he doesn't have the emotional maturity to lead a recreational softball team, much less an NFL team.

That being said, Geno still looks better than Sanchez, IMO. He's making mistakes, but he has balls, which puts him at least one big step ahead.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

me too, not driving myself crazy defending a rookie over a 4 year BUST

8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

You're too dense to understand what was said. I know exactly what i'm talking about when regarding why this thread is now interesting and how the panic in it is funny. I said before Geno was drafted, it doesnt matter whos under center, the team will suck on offense.

Carry on.

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Listen I repsect your opinion, but Sanchez is gone, if your a Jet fan root for Geno, who shows a lot of promise

10. matt robinson 17

Your wasting your time, Geno has promise Sanchez is finished

11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

He would have won if he didn't miss a wide open Hill in the endzone and if he didn't throw behind Tone. It goes both ways.

12. mute

mute Well-Known Member

im just shocked people just noticed. WE HAVE NO WRS! I thought people seen that last year when Mark sat on the bench but nope.

13. displacedfan

So did everyone else! We all knew the offense was weakness coming into the season regardless of QB on our roster.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

not on purpose, it is simply the extent of their capabilities. simple minded people, if they see a similarity, automatically draw the conclusion that two different scenarios must thus be identical.

logic dictates that you must also identify the differences in the two scenarios to determine if they are identical. but that is one too many balls to juggle for some people.

15. displacedfan

Is it hard to understand why people were upset our 4th year QB looked like a rookie playing his second game ever? That's not good for the 4th year QB. On top of that, Sanchez made many mental errors that were regardless of talent at the WR position. He didn't seem to learn from these errors over the course of the year either.

16. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

boom, thats some sense right there.

the run game did seem underutilized later on. that last drive it made sense but I don't know when they were in the redzone they could have run it more and accepted a FG. there was a little too much pressure on Geno than there should have been, even so he screwed the pooch in his own right later on.

so a loss off exterior faults and a good amount of personal responsibility that he will no doubt take to heart, this is what Smith has in front of him. lets see what he does with it, and NOT give up on the guy while pretending like nothing will ever work out for him or that LAST WEEK didn't happen.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed is that he began to throw some wobblers once it started raining. I remember many scouting reports said he had trouble in inclement weather.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

so Geno blew 2 plays, the receivers blew about 10-15 plays. yeah, that's smart to compare the two as equally to blame.

19. matt robinson 17

Blame upper management

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's true too...which is a slight problem if you're going to play in MetLife in November/December.