The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Smith will be no better than Sanchez and no team wanted him as a top three QB in the draft. Well except maybe the Eagles, but even they may not have targeted him since he was one of the worst running QB in football last year. Hell he hurt himself just trying to run one of the few times he tried.

He was in a offense were he was not required to read defenses and was asked to throw to the 1st or 2nd read. He won't be able to handle the pressure and doesn't have the football IQ to be a great QB. Hell the kid was an English major in college, but when he talks it sounds like his mouth is full of shit and he has a third grade education. No TV deal in his future.

Their is a reason every team passed on him and he fell. Only the Jets who like the circus would have drafted this kid and we did.

Bad attitude, raw mechanics, didn't play in a pro style offense and hasn't learned how to read defenses. Yep that's the guy some of you love. If he was as good as some of you talk, there is no way he would have made it out of the 1st round. His stats were way misleading. Any other year a kid with those stats would have been a top ten pick, there is a reason he wasn't.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if geno has those numbers he won't be pulled to go back to mark.

so i.m.o those projections are way off base.

now if geno ends up with 55% 2900 yards 15td 20 int it wouldn't be a terrible debut

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm pretty sure Geno will finish north of 58% completion percentage. MMs WCO has too many safe throws in it for the completion percentages to be bad. He might go north of 65% if everything clicks just right for him.

If the Jets were to start him against the Bucs and then sit him for awhile before putting him back in that might skew the numbers southwards some but not dramatically so.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

There's enough completely false garbage in this post being stated as truth that I know never to read your posts again. Thanks.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember reading your thread years ago about retiring from the Air Force as a senior NCO and the Jets having sent you an autographed plaque or something like that as a retirement gift. I was an Air Force enlisted man for a little over a decade and worked for a lot of very sharp men who had elevated themselves to SNCOs.

I read your posts and they sound like an angst-ridden teenager forgot to take his prescribed psychoactive drugs a day before those posts are made.

And then there are the disturbing avatars and sig pics.

Did you finish your career managing a chow hall or something? I am at a loss as to how you were ever a leader of military men.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Even if you don't agree with the Geno pick, at least put that to the side and root for him to succeed. Is that so hard to do?

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm obviously pulling for the kid because we go as far as he takes us but I'm not real optimistic here.
    My question is, lets say Geno plays the full season and doesn't really inspire much excitement in terms of productivity, what then?
    Does this regime have the balls to draft a QB in the first round next season or are we gonna take a wait and see approach on Geno for 2 or 3 years?

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

fans do, trolls don't.
    it all depends on where we are drafting and who is available. idzic went strictly by the board this year and there is no reason to believe he won't next year. if there is any doubt about geno there will be another qb in camp next year. where he comes from depends on how the draft plays out. there is not much more we can speculate at this point though

9. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

10. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

How many passing yards does Kerley get?

More touchdowns than interceptions, higher completion percentage than Sanchez's rookie year, I'd be alright with that.

11. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Decent start for Geno from what I saw flipping between games...

Get rid of that wild cat garbage...He had momentum on one drive and they go away from Geno's arm...

12. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

It's official.

13. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

The wildcat came out on the kids first third down. After that we got 4-5 yrds with the 5 times we did it

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

But when they took out the wildcat and upped the tempo during the second half he played much better.

15. Br4d

I'm optimistic on Geno at this point. I'm not going to go overboard on it but he was a pretty good college QB for 3 seasons. He has a good arm. He has good mobility. He has a topflight offensive coordinator and quarterback coach working with him.

I think he's got a shot to be a very good NFL QB.

That said, I don't know what the Jets will do in the draft next year.

If they have a bad enough record to have a shot at Bridgewater then I think that's a really good possibility. Rex's defense is too good for the Jets to go 3-13 or worse unless the QB is a big issue all year. So that situation would likely sort itself out.

If they have a middling 5 to 8 win season, which is the most likely scenario at this point, then I think they look really hard at Geno and figure out whether he needs a play maker or two or whether he doesn't have the goods to be great.

My guess is this will not be a hard call one way or the other. If he plays all season like he played against the Bucs then he's clearly the QB of the future and you try to get as much talent around him as you can.

If he stumbles and the offense fails to click at any point then you are in a much tougher situation. Teddy Bridgewater is not going to be around after the 3 pick and probably not even on it. Do you draft a QB on the 8 or 9? Do you wait until the second round and bring a guy in to compete with Geno and maybe take the job?

The Jets really need play makers right now. I don't see them drafting a QB lightly next year unless it's Bridgewater and they get the pick naturally.

16. Jersey Joe 67

We'll see as the season goes on but the things I really liked about Geno in the first game was he was very poised in the pocket, which says a lot for a rookie QB.
    He didn't seem to force things and it looks to me like he's listening to his coaches and implementing their teachings in his game(ie, getting rid of the ball if the play isn't there,etc.)
    The biggest knock on Sanchez was he still makes the mental mistakes that rookies make. I think if Geno can play the position smarter he's got a real good chance to succeed.
    He's just got to get away from staring down his recievers from the snap of the ball.

17. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

He did stare the receivers down. I saw that numerous times. What i did like, however, was his willingness to throw it away and tuck it away and run (and slide!)

He made 1 bad throw and paid for it. The sack fumble was tough because he had so little time.

I agree with you that he actually looked comfortable in the pocket. I was ready for complete garbage based on the pre season, but was pleasantly surprised.

18. Jersey Joe 67

He looked pretty accurate with his throws and seems to have pretty good arm strength.
    It's only one game but I liked his field presence. He seemed pretty comfortable and his field awareness seemed pretty good for a rookie.
    He checked down quite a few times which impressed me

19. Br4d

Reads are job one for Geno Smith right now. If he can't use half the field effectively that will prevent him from becoming a good NFL QB. The Bucs game was very hard to gauge because the pressure was so relentless. Geno may go all season without seeing that kind of pass rush again.

It's also really early to judge one way or the other on Geno's ability to read the play. Once he has a few more starts under his belt we can get a better handle on whether he is making the adjustments he needs too or not. If he doesn't make those adjustments then NFL teams will begin to get tape on him and jump his reads and we won't have grey areas any more.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Geno will go as far as this front office will take him. Will the Jets make the right decisions this time around? Stay tuned.

We need weapons, offensive line depth. Continuity. If the Jets succeed at these aspects, we will have Geno as our QB for the next 5-6 years AT LEAST