Sanchez just sucks... just sucks. (all Sanchez complaints here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweet P, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

He also has more touchdowns, yards, yards per attempt, a higher completion percentage, a higher QB rating and a better TD to INT ratio.

the problem with mark isnt just the turnovers, its that he doesnt make enough positive plays to come close to balancing it out.

drew brees had like 20+ turnovers last year, thats not good, but it is minimized by him also having 5200 yards and 44 touchdowns

2. jerseyjay14

exactly... hell fans had no issue with sanchez throwing 4 or 5 picks against the bills in that game his rookie year. it was all "he is still learning, he is a kid, need to scale it back a bit, lots of positives too"

it really got old in year 3, when he was still making those same mistakes and having 4 pick games

3. jerseyjay14

its not what Geno gives that Mark wouldnt.... its what Geno doesnt give up that mark would.

I cant see mark not turning it over 3-4 times yestarday...specifically on those busted screens or those plays where nothing was there and geno threw it away or tucked it and ran.

speaking of which, thats a huge dimension for us... we really dont have reliable go to guys on third down, so any 3rd down he coverts with his legs is a big added dimension.

look, im not saying geno is great, hell im not saying he is average. but im willing to see exactly how good or bad he is. yestarday he was good enough not to lose, we havent had that in a while.

4. jerseyjay14

i agree... saying his ball security was excellent is just crazy talk. you can also add in the back foot throw that should have been picked.

that said, it was still better then what we saw from sanchez, who i believe under the same pressure/situation probably throws 3 picks. but sanchez aside, you saw geno do one thing thats important, when the play was dead, he threw it away. that cant be understated

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

The interception 100% on Geno and a bad throw.
    The Fumble, I have to be honest here, I was away from the TV during that time period and didn't see the play and the only video I've found of it so far is an animated gif that made it very hard to see what exactly happened on that play, but I was impressed for most of the game how he carried the ball both in the pocket and when running.

I hate to bring Sanchez in to this but in this case it makes a point as fumbles were a big part of Sanchez's issues. And I'm going to use the Butt Fumble as the example. That play wasn't bad because Sanchez ran in to his own lineman's butt, though it did make it humorous. It was bad because of how he was carrying the ball as he ran towards the line, in his hand like a purse where it would be easy to bat out of his hand. And that's been one of Sanchez's problems all through his career, careless with the ball and the reason they had the Sanchez drill this year trying to bat the ball out of his hands.

Now back to the focus, Geno. Overall Geno kept the ball secure in the pocket and while running. On the fumble what I have been able to determine from the gif is that Geno should have known that time had expired and it was time to get rid of the ball. Internal clock issue and should get fixed with experience.

Now, if the trend continues then it becomes a problem. But for one game from a rookies first start I'm not going to make an issue of it. It will get noted for future reference for comparison on his progression.

The most encouraging thing about the game was almost all of Geno's bad plays came in the first 20-25 minutes of the game, after halftime he was almost flawless.

That's not to say that there isn't a lot of room for improvement, there is. He made a rookie mistake on the 18 yard, or whatever, sack where he retreated instead of rolling and dumping the ball. And his internal clock needs to get up to NFL speed, but that's not a surprise.

What impressed me the most was knowing when to run and the several times he saw nothing there and rather than try to force something in to double coverage just threw the ball away to fight another day. That's smart football, especially for a rookie.

I expect some of these errors over the course of his NFL learning experience during his rookie season. The key will be if he develops and begins to reduce the rookie mistakes as the season progresses. There are positive signs that he will, but like all things improvement is not guaranteed.

For a first NFL game in the modern era where the CBA limits real practice time and in a year when he missed about 1/2 of that important live practice time with the ankle injury he did better than I expected in his rookie outing. I was prepared for a 2-3 interception and 50% completion day being very possible on rushed passes in his first start against a very young and aggressive Buccaneer team (which I still believe is a much better team than they showed yesterday).

And then there is my last caveat, for better or for worse, first games of the season in today's era of limited pad practices, are very poor guides for the rest of the season...most teams aren't firing on all cylinders yet as most starters coming in to the season don't even have 60 or 70 live snaps in the pre-season. But, there is a lot to like about the Jets opening game, and a lot to be worried about as well. Same with Geno, there was a lot to like about his rookie baptism....but he'll have to build on it and improve if he is to be a long term solution. As a rookie the game was a very good first game, not record setting good or anything, but better than could have been reasonably expected given the circumstances...

Then again Brownie Nagel had an outstanding first game and we know how that turned out. Only time will tell.

6. 1968jetsfan

One could argue that that's only true because Sanchez wasn't playing Sunday ;) But technically it's a correct statement. But if Sanchez never takes another NFL snap (and I believe he will but mostly as a backup unless he goes to Jacksonville or maybe Oakland) then he definitely won't be the leader in TO's since entering the league in 2009 ;)

7. jerseyjay14

also, to keep things in perspective:

last 4 years + sunday:

ELI: 2215 attempts, 72 picks

Sanchez: 1,867 attempts, 69 picks

348 more attempts, 3 more picks. i think its safe to say mark would throw at least 4 more picks in his next 350 or so pass attempts

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

You make a fair assessment. ...NOT

So youre saying the Jets and Giants last two years both neck and neck as far as tallent. WRs, Oline, Rbs especially.

9. 1968jetsfan

If your talking yardage and TD's your point would be somewhat valid. However turnovers, especially when your talking a consistent level over an entire career, lie on a QB's shoulders. You don't get to be #1 over 4 years in turnovers just by having a poor team, if that were true Mark wouldn't be at the bottom of this list as there are at least 10 teams I can think of that have had worse talent over the past 4 seasons than Sanchez. The one season that Sanchez didn't turn the ball over 20+ times he led the league in dropped interceptions with 15, the next highest number in the NFL was 9. And these aren't dropped interceptions that required effort by the defender, they only count interceptions that were in the defenders chest or in their hands that they just dropped, aka easy picks.

The fact is Mark insists on throwing in to double and triple coverage and making ill advised throws through poor decisions and not reading defenses correctly. Not to mention just being down right inaccurate with his throws.

10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It's so nice to be able to watch an NFL quarterback who knows how to throw a fucking screen pass. So nice.

11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

To a degree, it certainly was . . . and that perfectly epitomizes why Mark isn't the answer here. We are comparing a 5th year player with over 60 career NFL starts to a guy who has played 1 regular season game.

Btw, Mark has managed to amass Geno's yardage total from yesterday (Passing + rushing) less than 10 times in his entire career.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

I personally think Sanchez would have been eaten alive this game. Geno's mobility was the difference here. The 4-6 scrambles that picked up yards either on the ground or through the air never would have happened with Sanchez. With Sanchez at QB, there's probably another 3 sacks given up. Between that, and the amount of QB hits I have to think Sanchez turns the ball over more than Geno did.

I also think Geno's composure and mental toughness shined. I honestly dont think Sanchez could have been hit like Geno was, and picked back right up. He tends to get rattled and let things pile up.

Geno truly did give us the best chance to win. I hope he continues to show positives and improve. That would be great for the Jets.

13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

so..... he still sucks, right?

14. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I think Sanchez woul dhave been pulling the trigger faster on plays. In pre-season he really seemed to have a nice grasp of the offense and was getting the ball out very quickly.

Smith take a bit longer to let the play develop before making his throws.

So to say Sanchez would have been sacked more based on the time it took Smith the get rid of the ball doesn't really work.

I think Smith was being extra careful and trying to be very sure of what he was seeing with receivers and patterns instead of using his feel for the offense. In the second half I think his feel improved a bit and that is why you saw a much better second half compared to the first.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

If I was running things mark is starting, I think we win easily last week if mark started but knowing how they want to move on from mark the only way he gets a chance to play this year(assuming he is healthy) is if Geno is in a funk costing us game after game. As long as Geno shows flashes and we are competitive it will be his job this year.

and less playoff apps.

Mark years 1-4
    Eli years years 6-9 plus MUCH better talent and continuity w/ the coaching staff.

16. alleycat9

you know junc, i think you are giving a pretty fair assessment of geno smith. however the ball riding that you have given sanchez over the past 4 years makes it seem like you are a 2 faced douche. you cant call it evenly for one guy and not for the other.

this is why your opinion on all things sanchez is completely skewed and not worth reading.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

With the way our OL played last Sunday 5 sacks & many pressures if MS was playing he would have at least 5 INTS + 3 fumbles & we lose the game handily :sad:

18. alleycat9

hey champ, no habla ignored posts

19. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I wonder why they want to move on from Mark, especially if we would have won easily? What coaching staff, who knows the players better than we do because they see them on a daily basis, would make such a foolish decision?

It makes you wonder how our coaches and GM could be so blind as to "move on" from such a terrific QB. What fools the NY Jets are! Don't they see how valuable he is to keep on the roster? I don't get it.

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

FYI Bleacher Reports states that MS has a torn labrum ala Penny :sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.