Jets Will Beat Pats Thursday....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Sep 9, 2013.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Yes sir...I believe you are correct. Gronk is a non-factor and Amendola, as expected, is injured. They looked VERY pedestrian against the Bills and I have no reason to believe in 3 days they are going to look any better.

I think Jets fans have every reason to believe that we can go into NE and knock them off. It's not going to be easy or a walk in the park but this is not Mt. Everest either...in fact this isn't even the NE from last year.

This is a VERY winnable game...and god forbid the Jets start 2-0 against what many thought would be playoff contenders...that would be horrible...they'd have to eat their words...and so early in the season too!

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

how much credit do we give tampa and how much blame do we cast to the line?

tampa does have a very talented defense so i am going to think we may see some improvement this thursday. theres no reason to think gemo can't give us another 60% comp and 250 yard performance again. limit the turnovers and we have a punchers chance at this

3. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Gronk is out and Amendola most likely will be. Thats why I said Brady WITHOUT them haha

4. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Pats aren't the running team. Context is more important than the specific numbers.

Teams try and stop Brady when facing the Pats. They'd rather see the Pats run the ball. The Jets in particular drop back more than usual against the Pats.

Against the Buccs you stack the box and try to make Freeman beat you.

An average RB will have better numbers playing on the Pats than the Buccs.

I like Ridley but he's not as good as Martin .

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

our run game and pass protection stunk all last year. tampa is good but its not like we dont stink as well.

i agree, if we dont turn it over, we certainly have a chance. they're run game worries me, and their ability to convert 3rd downs worries me. tampa doesnt pressure the middle of the field much offensively, thats NE's bread and butter. they will try and exploit that for sure.

6. jerseyjay14

it doesnt matter if ridley is better then martin... the pats offensive line + trio of backs is better then the bucs line + backs -- or at least, much more productive.

you can shape it up any way you like, but the bottom line is the pats are DOMINANT running the ball inside the 5, DOMINANT running it on 3rd and short, AND DOMINANT running it goal to go.

they also are much less predictable with the run and do it much more dynamically.

their run game will pose much more of an issue for us... especially being forced into nickel more often on 1st/2nd down

7. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

They key to defending what you just described is not let them get to the 5! :lol:

I still think this is a very winnable game. NE just doesn't look like NE right now. Maybe later in the year...but not right now.

8. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I actually think that the offense is more of a key than the defense. Tom is going to get his points. It will be crucial for Geno to not commit turnovers that give Brady extra chances in good spots. That is what a good defensive coach can do. Disguise coverage to confuse a rookie. That is what I am not looking forward to. But, watching parts of the Bills-Pats game yesterday, NE secondary still looks like trash. It will be also nice to see how the Bills used EJ to attack the Pats d. Maybe they can use some of that as a blueprint.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i stand corrected....hey i stopped reading after 10 words like everyone else does here :)

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

They certainly seem to be more beatable than in recent past but I definitely wouldn't go around guaranteeing a Jets "W" in Foxboro just yet. We have a rookie QB in his second start going into the lions den. This game could get ugly for the Jets real quick.

11. jerseyjay14

easier said then done. they're run game is clicking, they ran for 160 on sunday. and they still have that brady guy.

to win we need to score 24+ and not turn it over. we are going to need a big special teams play or two and force some mistakes.

i just cant envision anything but a blowout. coming off a lackluster performance, in their home opener, against a hated rival they are going to look to curb stomp us. i think we keep it close for a half but just cant match their offense. something like 37-20 but a 1 possesion game at halftime

12. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Not sure why people saying Amendola won't play. He came out in 2nd qtr yesterday but played in the 2nd half and caught a bunch of passes.

13. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Yep yep, jam them inside and force Brady to throw outside the numbers and to the back shoulder, let's see their UDFA's catch those. Hahahahahahaha!

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1. i don't know why you mention how the line was last year. that means nothing now
    2. tampa dline > new england dline. by alot. now was tampa getting pressure? yes. but the line was also able to stand them up and give geno some time on some plays as well. i'd be very surprised to see the patriots apply the same pass rush this week
    3. last years patriot team with welker,gronk and hernandez pressured the middle of the field. this team doesn't have those caliber of weapons. we will be able to cheat against the run a little more if we have to against a team with worse wr's than we have.
    we have to worry about brady but this isnt the juggernaught team that can paste 30 on anybody anytime.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

If Amendola does not play it will be huge for us. Without him Gronk or Hernandez, I can't see them doing all that much damage to the Jets D. Brady is a mastermind, but without guys running the right routes with sure hands, and big powerful TEs to block and make tough grabs, he will be limited, especially with the monster line we have this year. I expect multiple sacks on Brady and he will be thrown off his game and have to struggle to make completions while under constant pressure. I like our chances. Their secondary is still nothing special. We can exploit them and win.

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

didn't that dominating rush O inside the 5 get stopped on 3rd and 4th and 1 from the 1?

NE is more difficult against the run b/c you have to pay attention to the pass. We could be one dimensional yesterday keying on the run and allowing Freeman to try to beat us, we can't do that against NE but Doug Martin last year was better than any back NE had.

NE scoring drives yesterday:

7-0, 9 yd drive. zero rush yds
    10-0, 20 yd drive, zero rush yds
    17-6, 32 yd drive, 24 rush yds, 8 yd TD pass
    20-20, 70 yd drive, 24 rush yds
    23-20, 49 yd drive, 18 rush yds

5 scoring drives, 180 yds of offense, 66 rush yds, 37%.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I saw the Bills game on a second screen at the sports bar. The Pats didn’t play badly overall but made some huge mistakes. Such as a giving up a 72 yard fumble recovery and Brady fumbling the snap on 4th and goal killing a scoring drive. Both plays I really wished and hope happened against the Jets as thats what kept the Bills in the game.

But ya they have less talent this season. Their pass defense had many breakdowns. There is hope.

18. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports Shane Vereen is undergoing wrist surgery on Monday and will miss "a few weeks."

19. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Wondering if Leon will be their primary receiver out of the backfield Thursday

20. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

As another poster mentioned Vereen out, Sudfeld also with pulled hammy...

And btw no WAY Gronk plays in this game.

This is as winnable a game vs the Pats as we've ever seen.

Let's get 2 - 0. If we do we then face a game vs BUF and 3 - 0 isn't out of the question. This game is going to be HUGE in setting the tone for this season. It's as big an early season game for a team like the Jets as we will ever see.