Geno's game 1 performance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Noam, Sep 8, 2013.

1. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

This is a perfect example of a game where some fans would've said:
    The Jets win besides the play Of the QB.

The biggest plays on offense involved penalties on the Bucs, besides the Winslow td, and Geno Running.

The plays plays of the game were:
    Davis chasing down Jackson on sure td.
    Clutch Folk kick, set up by a good run by Smith, but ridiculous brain fart late hit penalty.

Its a damn shame we won, and all some fans could do was sh!t on Sanchez. Geno had 2 turnovers and a td! Not exactly a good ratio.

But he did enough to win. Let all that Sanchez comparison go, bcuz your inviting controversy and allowing fans including myself comment on Sanchez.

Last time I checked Sanchez was on the sideline guiding Geno all Game long. Pretty F'in classy Id say, instead the negative crap most chose to mention.

2. Lehtonen

Lehtonen New Member

I think what we really should look for is how he progresses. With Sanchez, you had some early flashes, but he never sustained that play long enough for it to be anything other than a fleeting moment. And then he just completely regressed.

People can blame it on the organization if they want, but that's a moot point at the juncture.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Just got in from the game (had to work after) lol

There were many positives and negatives. I don't know how much the TV showed for you guys but being there live,
    Geno missed quite a few WIDE open receivers...I don't mean kinda open, I mean dudes waving their arms open..

He also was late on many reads and decisions.

The good news is that he should be able to overcome those with time and working hard...

He looked good...

4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually statistically speaking Geno's first game was very close to Sanchez's, except Sanchez was supported by a vastly superior O-Line and a much better running attack. In Sanchez's first start he put up similar total numbers to Smith but only accounted for around 60% of the offensive yardage, Geno accounted for around 88% of the Jets total offensive net yardage.

But that's the thing, and yes I was on this board when Sanchez was drafted and I was a proponent of letting him learn from the bench as he only had 1 season of college starting under his belt.

we all saw promises of what could be, the problem is Sanchez never became consistent. He'd have a game that made you go wow, then 3-4 games that left you just shaking your head and being grateful the team bailed him out. And he's never matured beyond that point, today he's exactly the same QB that he was 4 years ago. Same inconsistencies, same slow reads, same poor decisions.

Some will point to his 26 TD season and say he improved, But in science we learn if something isn't repeatable then it's not factual and more than likely an aberration. What you have in Sanchez is a QB who's always been between 54-56% completion rate, normal seasonal variations. You have one outlying year in stats with TD's which is far above his statistical norm of the other 3 repeatable years. Some point to his low turnovers in 2010 but Sanchez was EXCEPTIONALLY lucky that year, he had I think 15 dropped interceptions that season per Football outsiders, the next highest was 9. He was also exceptionally lucky in terms of fumbles lost in ratio to fumbles made. Conclusion, statistical anomaly since the other 3 seasons been over 20 turnovers, and with the break of luck should have been 4 seasons over 20 Turnvers, but woulda coulda shoulda.

And that's the problem, Sanchez never matured. The Question is will Geno evolve and mature, or will he remain the QB we see in the first 1/4 of this season. We'll have to see if Geno has a curve, or if he stays flatline like Sanchez has.

Now why has Sanchez stayed flatline? There are a couple good theories, and in all honesty it could be a combination of them.

The most likely is simply this. Sanchez has immense physical talent, but so does every single player who get drafted. Vernon Gholston had all the physical tools, none of the mental or work habbit tools, but he had all the physical tools. 90% of players who wash out of the NFL don't wash out for lack of talent, the wash out because they fail to grow and mature in the NFL and plateau out. for some guys the game never slows down, for others they don't have the wide field of vision and the ability to quickly digest it at NFL speeds.

Some get lazy because they're never challenged, Sanchez has never been seriously challenged for the starting role, that can cause stagnation especially when combined with the fortune of coming in to a very good team with a very good running game and a very good O-line and they start to think this is "easy" I don't have to work at it, we're winning. Never mind if they're winning because of or in spite of that player.

And other players come in to the NFL with overly high expectations. They have 1 good season in College and everyone thinks rushes on to him without having anything to compare the other years to. Was that one year a fluke? or was it his baseline? was he growing?

I think all of these apply to Sanchez to one degree or another. How much of each? I have no idea.

I don't think Sanchez will ever start in the NFL as a full time starter again. But I do know if he wants a chance to rejuvenate his career it will have to be outside of New York. But truth is his ceiling is probably that of Trent Dilfer or Steve DeBerg and I'm 95% confident that's what most if not all NFL teams consider him. I don't feel sorry for him, he's had a better NFL career than 99.999% of the worlds population, he's made a ton of money and he's still one of the best USC QB's of the past 30 years...though when you look at the list of USC QB's that have been Pro QB's the list isn't very impressive (Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson, John David Booty, Carson Palmer, Mark Sanchez, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Vince Evans, Bill Nelsen, Matt Cassel and Pete Beathard. )

this is kind of an interesting article as to why a college team as Dominate as USC can be just doesn't produce successful NFL QB's.

of the 4 theories presented #4 is the most likely, though I think #1 and #3 play in to it as well.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...y-standout-usc-qbs-make-mediocre-at-best-pros

5. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Good post.

Issue with Sanchez is he barely can complete over 55% of his throws. That's terrible for a QB. If Geno is at 65% consistently then I'd take that.

He also can't take a hit anymore, where as Geno seemed to stand tall after each hit. Granted Geno's progressions are still slow...but he's a rookie and I just hope he'll be able to progress in that department, another skill Sanchez never developed.

6. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

yeh that pic thats all over with winslow and geno celebrating, well, like two seconds before that screenshot you can see that mark was one of the first people over there congratulating geno. mark was talking to geno all game long and really was a good sport all game. i just dont get all the sanchez hate. sure he might not be the best qb, but he works his ass off for the team and does whats asked of him

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Geno was a tale of two halves. First half he was very deer in headlights at times. The fumble on the goal line was awful. Taking some sacks.
    I think the drive before the half where he got the TD to Winslow really settled him down, because he did look good in the second half. The screen pass to Ivory was him short arming a ball causing it to sail high.

His ability to run a bit showed up -- i think like Sanchez if you get him in a groove with no huddle and move him around he is a better QB.

One huge thing he was able to do -- slide.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He took sacks because he was running for his life all day. Hard to believe but the OL is even worse than last year, maybe much worse. Things better get better before we play Buffalo or he will get killed.

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Bucs have a talented and physical defensive front. You had to expect a team that plays the run well to do well at the line. Smith will learn to throw a ball away and not back track 15 yards trying to make things happen.

A better rushing attack will open up play action and make life easier for any QB.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Maybe but he still completed 63% of his passes. When is the last time we had a QB do that? I'm not sure but there may have been at least a few drops too.

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Geno made a couple rookie mistakes, but overall did the things we need from him to have a chance to win games.

1) if its not there, he didnt force it. i couldnted 2 or 3 throw aways out of bounds and 2 balls throw in the ground on busted screens. with sanchez there is probably a pick or 2 in there.

2) used his legs to pick up first downs. 6 carries for 47 yards SLIDING instead of being tackled. this is a huge dimension to the offense for us, considering we dont really have alot of weapons. if he can get us some cheap first downs that way its big

3) he can complete a screen pass! WOW. its been so long i forgot what one looked like. should help.

4) he didnt get rattled even after being sacked 5 times and hit a ton more.

The turnover on the goaline was awful. the one throw off his back foot was bad. were likely gonna see more then that. but overall:

** 60+ % completions
    ** as many touchdowns and picks

i can live with that from a rookie.

12. jerseyjay14

we havent had "not terrible" from our qb in a while. their is cause for celebration

:metal::metal::metal:

13. babyknight

babyknight Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was posted already, but I thought this quote from Geno was very revealing:

This is one of the key differences to where I think Sanchez's head is at... or, to be more precise, was at after that huge hit he took from the Steelers at Heinz Field in September last year.

Of course, there are so many things wrong with Sanchez's game that it is difficult to know where to start, but his drop off after that hit seemed pretty extreme.

14. jerseyjay14

no it wasnt. it was god awful.... against a less mobile qb tampa would have had 10 sacks.

15. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

its a lack of confidence in the guys in front of you and the system you are running to protect you. martys system is pretty easy to buy into, hell as a fan im sold already haha

16. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

the line play was up and down. nobody played a perfect game, everybody let up some pressure. people are being too hard on vlad though, he played well i thought. a lot of times i noticed him riding his guy right out of the pocket or finishing off a double team. austin howard had a bad game. colon had an iffy start i thought but put together a solid game. mangold has played better i thought as well. tampa was really coming after geno though. for what it was, i thought they held it together pretty well.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

This was awesome to see again.

Saw this live at the game and I went nuts.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Geno had a fine game.

Let's see how he does with a short week to study.

(PS a rookie almost beat the Patriots this week right?)

19. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

I don't care what anyone says, the wildcat is garbage i wish we would just do away with it, and use it solely on short yardage situations

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He had a terrible first half, excellent 2nd half. Looked poised and confident, he should only get better but I disagree w/ the pass protection question. Sure he got rushed a few times but the OL did a great job in pass pro most of the game.