"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Seriously I think the only way they would let Simms start or even gets on the field at all is if Smith gets hurt. Smith could throw 5 Ints get sacked 10 times and fumble the ball a couple times and they would still keep him in there.

No way in hell they want to give anyone a chance to show up thier new pet and give more fans ammunition against Smith. He is the GMs horse and they will ride him into the dirt before they admit he was a bust. Could you image if Quinn who is a piece of shit who has no time in this offense came in and outplayed Smith, that would be embarrancing for a FO who has been trying to sell Geno as the next great QB.

I think if Simms had been given a fair shot, he would be the starter, but he will never get an opertunity unless Smith gets hurt. Come on concusion, ankle, whatever, I'm not picky.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Shut up about Simms already. The guy is lucky to be on the roster. He played well in garbage time preseason to make the team - good for him.

He'd be killed on any given Sunday and if any of you watched practice (while all QBs were healthy) he was the 4th best QB on the roster by far. He's fortunate McElroy got hurt or else he never would've taken a snap and his career would be over. He should thank his lucky stars.

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I guess you are correct. If anyone should know about busts...with that name..its you.

Seriously, so McElroy gets hurt and this kid steps in and does pretty well so they keep him and cut the guy with the sprained ankle?

Again, I think some people are just thinking that we opened up the paper and see the stats and say poof..perhaps potential.

That's not the case. Its the passes he completed...the passes he through. It means nothing to me who it was against because I have never seen Sanchez or Smith...or Browning Nagle for that matter put that kind of zip on the ball. Never.

And again I have no idea if the kid would ever be even an average qb...my only point is that there are about 10 teams who have the ability or lack of to find out...and the Jets are one of them.

#543 jaywayne12, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  4. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

No sweat! I didn't think you came off as asshole, just passionate. Like I said, I'd hate to seem like I'm rooting against the kid, and I like what I saw, it's just that we've seen this movie before with Brett Ratliff, Erik Ainge, etc...

FTR, I got Geno's 10-11 from his 6-7 against the Lions backups and the second half of the Giants game where he actually went 4-4 for 60 yds (before running out of the end zone.) If you just looked at those 11 attempts you'd also see a kid who was slinging it around decisively with strength and accuracy.

I really don't have a problem with guys like you and mezzavo who are excited about a QB prospect, I mainly have a problem with the inevitable dumbass conspiracy bullshit like this:

If an undrafted QB came in and started lighting things up, Idzik and every coach on that side of the ball would be labeled genius-for-life. They're not just cornholing Matt Simms so they can force-feed us a 2nd rounder making backup QB money.

5. jaywayne12

Im not totally into the conspiracy thing..I mean..I havent read enough thoughts on it but guessing Idzik wants his pick and Ryan wants to prove he is the boss with forcing Sanchez? Im not sure about that.

There is nobody...NOBODY..well perhaps a bunch of us..that would be happier if Geno goes out there on Sunday and starts making throws. Not asking for 23-30 with 3 tds and no ints.

Make enough plays to give a chance to win and make less mistakes not to lose the game would be a nice first game success.

STILL..lol...I would love to at least get what I saw Simms do..forget that...I would love to see some of the passes Simms threw be out of my head by him getting a game...one game...to see if he can make SOME of those passes he made..because they are really in my head.

6. jaywayne12

lol biggs....getting the mop out to dry up the puddles of sarcasm. lol...nice.

7. Laureen

Laureen New Member

thanks for the welcome

8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Simms looked pretty good and he has a very good arm. He can fire the ball but then again so does Geno and Mark has an above average arm, too. According to Lee, Brady Qunn has a better arm than both of the Mannings. Being named no. 2 is a big step up for Simms (he was number 4 a few weeks ago) and he has a shot to play. He has a lot less expereince than Geno, he had a limited career starting games with the Tenn. Vols. Maybe like Rex said the kid just improved. He seems to be cool headed maybe because he feels no pressure. He has no where to go but up. Although the Jets org has poorly handled the Qb situation this kid could be a silver lining and who knows end up beating out all of these guys. I don't think Geno will be horrible on Sunday but still has a slight ankle injury and Simms could play if he twists it again. Like they say, you never know.

9. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

simms not playing has nothing to do with the jets "not wanting simms to show up their new pet" and everything to do with simms being a nobody who has done little on any level.

ive never seen a guy get so much hype for scoring ZERO touchdowns in a 4th preseason game against a bunch of guys who were either cut or barely made the roster.

Look, im not very optomistic about geno. i think at best he is a quincy carter type, lucky to hang on as a backup. But let get off simms until he actually does something of note.

10. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Put down the pipe before its too late..

11. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Sarcasm is your friend.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sarcasm is a mysterious thing...

13. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

It a simple analysis

There's no way the Jets, or any other team in this situation, would start
    Matt Simms this week.

If Geno gets hurt or Geno can't cut it after a few games , Simms will get a chance

If Geno plays well, Simms will be forgotten.

I think we will get a chance to see Matt Simms start a game this year.

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Let's examine "Simms the Savior" a little bit. As a starter in 2010 and 2011 for Tennessee against top college defenses - LSU and Alabama, Simms in four games was 38 for 82 (46%) for 424 yards, 0 TDs and 4 Ints and lost all 4 games scoring 27 points while the Vols gave up 132 points.

That is an average game of 9 for 20 for 106 yards 0 TDs and 1 pick with an average score of 33-7.

People scrutinize Smith for some of his games his senior year as justification for their opinions, but nobody cares about Simms' past performances. All that matters with Simms is three quarters agains the Eagles in the "who is going to make the roster" bowl and "let's not get our starters injured" bowl that is the 4th preseason game.

Simms college stats are putrid. He may have a big arm, but he could not play college football and was benched half way through his junior year and did not throw a single TD pass his senior year of college. This is not analogous to a Tom Brady who played 25 games his junior and senior year and threw over 400 passes in those two years for 35 TDs and over 60% completion percentage. If Simms' last name was Jones and did not have a father who played in the NFL, would anybody know or care who he was?

People are getting way too carried away with a very small sampling of meaningless preseason football and ignoring Simms' career while putting everything on three quarters of preseason football in judging Smith and ignoring 4 years of college play.

Plus, the Jets coaches have watched Smith and Simms play every day in practice since OTAs in May. I think they know what they have in each. Remember, both Ryan and Idzik have their careers and future income on the line here, not some post on a message board. I think we can trust them to play the player they think gives the team better chance at long term success. Their futures depend on it.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't see how his college stats are at all relevant. Should we break out tebows college stats?

This isn't college.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That is the complete opposite of his point. We all know great college numbers do not equate to nfl success, but it is a terribly difficult argument you are trying to argue -- that poor college stats don't mean nfl failure. But to do so you need more than an anecdotal argument, you need at least one example a statistically bad college player that turned out to be a good nfl QB.

17. jerseyjay14

/Thread.

well put. i really can not fathom this entire thread. fans of other teams would come in here thinking its some kind of inside joke. its insane how many people are going crazy over simms. who has done nothing in college but sucking, nothing in camp but suck, nothing in practice but suck, and have an ok 4th preseason game.

as if the 4th preseason game wasnt meaningless enough, you would think he put up a line like peyton manning did last night in that game. he had Zero fcking touchdowns and threw 2 passes right into defenders chests for goodness sake

18. jerseyjay14

so college stats are meaningless, but 4th preseason game stats are somehow super relevant?

how about we break down peyton mannings college stats? matt ryan? aaron rodgers? RG3? luck? Drew Brees? sure, there are plenty of example of great college QBs who sucked in the NFL. but i cant think of any college QB who sucked in college but was good in the pros.

matt simms is awful, and will be out of football the second his dad runs out of favors owed to him

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The point is that what he did in college isn't relevant at this point. He's on an NFL roster and performed well against other guys either in the nfl or on the cusp of that.

Some guys blossom later than others. Am I supposed to discount his preseason success because of what happened in college? Or maybe it's irrelevant because I don't have an example of someone else doing poorly in college but making it in the pros? Most guys who don't do well in college don't get to the pro's.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That Tom Brady character man he couldn't beat Henson at Michigan no way does he become a good QB!