CBS Sports - "Unnecessary To Watch Tape On Revis"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

More non news. Geno's basically saying, yeah we know he's going to blanket whoever he covers, so rather than watch tape on him, just avoid throwing to that receiver. He's not saying that Revis isn't important enough to watch tape on. We all know how people will spin it, however.

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Now Geno is Ryan Leaf. Some of you guys are plain old retards

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

how do you know what he said wasn't a smoke screen, even if he had said what you said he should say the reaction would have been the same. " omg why would he tell everyone what they see as revis' weakness? revis is going to be motivated now, he is going to know what they want to do"

again total non story and total over reaction

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

geno smith sounds nothing like ryan leaf and look, we are all just nit picking here

i just feel like this is a calculated saying, now revis is probably thinking this will be easier than he thought

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

why the hell would he blitz all day long? What I always wanted Revis to do is to come off the corner at least once since nobody expects him to do just that. I have a feeling, well before this Geno comment that he'll finally do just that on a situation the Jets must convert a 3rd and long to continue the game. Geno most likely wont be looking his way to begin with.

6. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

My point is he should be doing both, and saying nothing. He should be studying the game film on TampaBay and then watching the tape of Revis while he's on the shitter rather then playing Candy Crush Saga.

Say what you want about Mark but he's always said and prepped the right way. I feel like this is the first in a long line of "Oops, what did Geno say now?"

I just really hope his play makes up for it.

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Tom Brady on Ed Reed. We watch film on him constantly. Coach (Belichick) says I have to know where he is on the field at ALL times!

I'd put Revis in that same category, so yes, maybe he should be studying Revis' tendencies.

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I didn't read any of that in Geno's comment. I think you are the one spinning it.

9. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

So because i have an opinion I am a retard, the last time I checked, ASSCLOWN. It is a free country. By the way I may seem a little sensitive to the use of the word retardation because it an illness that affect an awful amount of people who I respect more than some fucking buffoon trying make a funny on a message board.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

Its funny how when Geno Smith says something like this, he continues to get ripped apart by almost everyone. Yet in Rex's presser yesterday, he basically said the Jets will not throw at Revis.

I mean why is that such a stupid plan? Thats what every opposing team did when we had Revis.

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

none of the criticism (legit or nonsense) about geno have had to do with his work ethic ... his study habits are well documented, and by all accounts hes a football junkie

if sanchez was so well prepped he would know how to adjust his protections to account for a blitz by now

you have no point

12. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

its just that your opinion is fucking comical

13. Ajitator

Planning not to throw at Revis is one thing, Not preparing to throw at him is another.

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Safety and CB are two totally different positions though. For a safety you would want to know if he tends to bite on fakes, how he handles run situations and when he undercuts or plays back to know where to throw it (i.e. back shoulder deep or low where he can't swat at it). What situations he'd be involved in a safety blitz, how to read where he is standing as an idea of what coverage is being played, etc. Does he lean more to the strong or weak side, etc. That all has implications for not only the passing game but every aspect of the offense (pass, run and defending against a pass rush if he is involved in any blitzes).

Revis is mostly going to play man-to-man, we know that. In a man-to-man situation what does it matter if you study the tape or not? Either your receiver beats the CB on his route or he doesn't, if he does you throw it to him if he doesn't you don't. End of story. If anyone should be studying Revis it is the receivers (most likely Hill or possibly Holmes) and the OC. If he can identify routes Revis has trouble with or something call those.

15. Ajitator

This isn't about Sanchez, It's about game prep and being a professional.

16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

What tape do you have to actually watch? If you come into the NFL as a QB and don't know Revis is one of the best ever, you are too dumb to play anyway.

Revis is a great tackler. He wraps people up and rarely misses.
    Revis is great at covering just about every route (Except for a quick cut and SOMETIMES the go route).

What more do you really need to know?

Just don't throw at the damn guy.

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

then why did you bring him up? hes clearly not a good example of a good game prepper

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

You dont know how Mark has prepped. I mean from his play, you could say that he sucked at preparing.

As Ive said before, we continue to pick apart Geno, but its clear that this is something coming from above him. Rex blatantly said that we will steer clear of Revis. I mean its not that hard of a plan to come to. Maybe Geno listening to Cromartie, or Harris, or Dennis Thurman or Rex is more beneficial to Geno than trying to learn arguably the best CB in the last 20s tendencies. I can count the number of games a QB had success throwing at Revis on one hand. Believe me, Rex Ryan knows that, and he isnt going to have his rookie QB try to do something 95% of other QBs cant do (which includes Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben ect.).

As we have gone through on this forum when defending Revis while he was here, he basically takes away his WR. You can not throw a comeback or an out from the far hash because that will go for 6 the other way. I mean maybe you try your luck with slants and fly routes, but as we've seen with Revis, its probably better to look elsewhere.

I would rather him spending time watching every single Bucs game from the last 2 years and try and learn the blitz schemes, coverage schemes and how they use their CBs.

I personally think Geno has handled probably one of the worst situations a rookie could walk into, pretty well.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Geno is still trying to learn the Jets offense studying Revis tape is a waste of time at this point in his career. He needs to learn enough about Tampa's defense to not look the fool.

20. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

You make some decent points, but I don't see how you can play against any team without giving extra focus to the biggest impact player on it.