CBS Sports - "Unnecessary To Watch Tape On Revis"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Yes, He is... He's a raw rookie QB, He should be spending every possible second in the film / books trying to gain an advantage,.. You still hear about the Brady and Mannings studying tape 16 years into their career.

Basing game day prep on someone's reputation is dumb.

2. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Yeah...one of the last QB's I saw with this much arrogance and self importance was a dude named Ryan Leaf...we ALL saw how that panned out.

Having confidence in ones self is important. Hell, even if you are that arrogant just keep your pie hole closed and let it manifest on the field. Guys that get to talkin' get "whupped up" on pretty good in the games. He either will learn the easy way or the HARD way. If it's the HARD way we could see Simms sooner rather than later.

3. foreboding

foreboding Member

A TON. You need to understand a high-end CB tendencies, what, if any weaknesses. It Darell Revis for petes sake, that is one guy you want to be clued into. Jets more than anyone know that.

4. foreboding

foreboding Member

SOunds like a good way to get an INT. Do you trust Geno more than Revis? lol

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i dont see how this is bulletin board material AT ALL ... he basically said that revis is too good to go after

if anything, he showed revis too much respect with that statement

6. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Get ready for a Revis blitz off the corner.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It was an arrogant way of saying he's avoiding Revis's side of the field altogether...... although early in the game I'd like to see a Play-action bomb to Hill streaking down the field, effective (he has to catch it) or not..... at least to test that hammy & knee

8. mezzavo

That's not how I read it.

As well, you don't just say "I'm going to ignore Revis" and then not study him.

Point blank it was a stupid statement and he'll learn, hopefully, to just keep his comments vanilla.

9. BookEndTackles 72&79

Studying individual tendencies is grad level work at this point for Geno. I would think Geno has a ton more to worry about then studying one individual's tendencies on defense and wouldn't be an efficient use of his limited preparation time. He needs to worry about having command of the offense and reading defenses with pre snap reads, progressions, timing, footwork, etc before he can get to that next advanced level. Everyone know's Revis is the best cover guy in the game so there's no real point at this stage of Geno's development.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

total over reaction.
    i,for one, would rather geno spend as much time as possible trying to figure out the tendencies of the whole defense than studying tape of revis in rex's defense. there is only so much time to study,focusing on 1 player when you are still learning an offense and prepping to face the whole tampa defense issn't very productice. i.m.o.
    that said, the first thing i would do is run some toss sweeps in his direction. lets see where is head is when he has to breakdown and tackle a rb running downhill

11. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

There is absolutely nothing to gain from telling the media your game-plan, what you're doing to prepare for a team or a player. What should Geno say "I watched hours of film on him, he has a weakness covering across the middle if he has to cut on his injured knee, so you'll see a lot short three step drops thrown across the middle for short gains".

I mean really,you tell the media basically nothing about your plan of attack or what you've done to prepare.

12. Yet another example of the media turning anything they can into a story & the masses taking the bait.

13. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Bro, that was who I thought about when he was drafted, I sure as hell hope that I am wrong

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a damned thing wrong with what he said. He said NOTHING. Let Revis do the talking. Geno has much bigger problems to worry about than to watch tape on Revis. He is still learning the playbook and focusing on the whole D, not just a DB that might not see any action

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Awesome, then we can throw a deep ball to Stephen Hill for a large gain.

I hope they let Revis blitz all day long.

16. mezzavo

You and I both!!!!

As I have mentioned, I've seen very little of Geno on the field but, so far, taking the draft et al...into consideration his mouth is very much like Ryan Leaf. Let's pray to GOD that he doesn't act like leaf in the locker room after a humiliating loss or two.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

With a bad knee that could be a dangerous or even stupid move.

18. jetski10

jetski10 New Member

sounds like a rookie talking.

19. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

The best possible thing for the Jetrs would be for Revis to blitz off the corner al day long. Please, please, please, Tampa, dont have Revis in coverage but have him testing his knee chasing Geno all day long.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Why though? I mean Geno Smith is a rookie. He is not nearly developed enough to be studying the little nuances that DBs do. He is studying TBs defense. The defense he is playing. Why would he spend [much] time studying old Jets tape, meanwhile TB could use him much differently. Geno has been told by everyone in that building how good Revis is and it seems like the Jets will stay away.

Hell, Rex in his presser yesterday basically said we will not be throwing towards Revis.

But that defense that Revis has played on if not the one he currently plays for. Why not study the actual opposing defense that he is playing against and learn how they use their CBs, rather than spend time trying to learn little nuances of Revis, which is probably pointless, because no QB in the NFL has figured that out yet and have been able to successfully throw at him.