"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. njjet

njjet Member

Starting Smith makes not sense. Simms out played him and neither have NFL game experience. So Why is Smith starting????????

2. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

Because he was the GM's pick, Simms is still better. When the genome twists his ankle again & Simms steps in & lights it up no one will be complaining.

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Irrelevant. Simms played against Eagles 2nd & 3rd stringers. Geno played against mostly the Giants starters. Better defense overall and higher caliber players. Geno has way more college experience as well (more than Simms and Sanchez put together), not to mention better stats. Simms has a good grasp of the system, but there's no way a head coach lets a guy start simply because he was good against backups. The coaches have observed the players all through training camp and practice. They definitely know better than fans who watch a very limited sample size of what is actually going on.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He also played behind a 3rd string OL throwing to 3rd string receivers.

You're just parroting what others have said...

Simms displayed a level of athleticism, accuracy, velocity, decision making, toughness, competitiveness, spirit and leadership far above what the other quarterbacks have ever shown on their best days.

Sanchez was great in practice.

How'd that work out?

I'm hoping that Simms gets a chance to play in a real game real soon.

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I guess I need to "bump" this over to the current page because CLEARLY we haven't dispelled with the bullshit "3rd Stringer talk."

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Fuck the naysayers.

I re-watched it as well...I may be an average fan, but I saw above average QB play from a player that was under-rated and under duress.

That 4th down conversion late in the game told me everything I need to know.

He's a gamer and a ray of hope on a team that desperately needs both.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don't know the Eagles roster? so these guys are all starters or back ups, not the third stringers who may very rarely see the field?

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I'm not parroting anything. Playing against a weaker defense is much easier, even if you are playing with the 2nd & 3rd stringers. McElroy use to light up the Eagles. Just sayin.

9. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

But with the exception of 1, maybe 2 guys, those guys are all scrubs. I'm not even sure that Jake Knott or Damion Square are actual people. And were these guys in by the 3rd and 4th quarter, when Simms attempted 28 of his 44 passes?

I liked what I saw from Simms, great velocity, decent accuracy, and 2 of his deep balls should have been caught. But I just don't think it can be overstated that he did what he did against a much lower level of competition and on top of that, the lower level players weren't running any complex defensive schemes. 4th preseason games are notoriously vanilla, and last week was no exception.

I'll be intrigued to see Simms if he gets a chance in the regular season, but I'm just not going to read too much into late-game preseason performances.

10. mezzavo

I think you missed my point. Those guys I listed there is who Simms played against quarters 1-3 in the Eagle preseason game. Every last one of them are on the GAME DAY roster for this Sunday. Does that make sense?? To everyone?? Those aren't scrubs. Those guys are ON an NFL Team and they have NOT been cut. Good lord...do I have to spell it out?

11. FlashGordon

I get the point, it's just not an impressive list. I don't want to get into a semantic argument about the meaning of the word "scrub", but half of those guys are certainly scrubs despite making the Eagles. It's just not an impressive list.

You also left off guys like Emmanuel Acho, David King, Antonio Dixon, and Trevard Lindley who were in the game and didn't make the team.

This is all beside the fact that, whoever was on the field, Philly was not playing any kind of defense that would've truly tested Simms. Geno threw a pick to Justin Tuck when Tuck fooled him by dropping back into coverage after faking the rush. Simms didn't see anything like that. I saw a lot of soft zone stuff against Philly. It's off my DVR now, so if I'm wrong, tell me, but did Simms have to recognize any major-league coverage schemes or make any tough reads?

Like I said, he's an intriguing talent, I just don't think a big performance in preseason game 4 is a lot to get excited about. Brett Ratliff, Erik Ainge, and Brooks Bollinger agree with me.

12. FlashGordon

Hell, Geno went 10 of 11 for 107 yards against backups in the preseason.

13. mwojet

mwojet New Member

I'm with Jetrik - political. I get that Rex(/Idzik) wants to see what they have with Smith, but if it was a real competition, Simms would be the real winner

14. JetBlue

no, there are scrubs in the NFL. you don't judge a player who isn't good enough to play as a good player or not simply because he is better than players not in the NFL, you are comparing them to players in the NFL who do play regularly.

so, if this list of players aren't going to play regularly in the regular season, they aren't indicative of the players Simms will face, and thus his performance against them isn't impressive just because they made the team.

that really is a ridiculous argument you are trying to make.

15. mezzavo

Not so...I have literally never heard of a guy who plays on Sundays...not play. Obviously unless they do not dress. Other than the backup/3rd QB almost everyone plays some. I was just making the point that he was playing against talent.

Vanilla schemes, yes I will agree, but there is NOTHING easy about playing game day caliber talent. That all.... It's even more impressive if you consider that everyone is telling me Simms sucked in college BIG time. Guys who suck in college do not, usually, do well in the pros...ever...so I'm just trying to explain a decent game. :)

Nuff said really...Geno got the nod and I hope he does well for the Jets sake. :)

16. JetBlue

but there is a significant talent discrepancy between the guy who starts and play most of the game and someone who just fills in one or two plays a game.

the roster is 53 people, only 11 on the field at a time. those third string guys aren't getting in the game often, if at all, and the reason is they aren't good enough compared to other players on the team and the league. being better than players that couldn't make the team is irrelevant.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Smith is starting because Simms is a scrub in every sense of the word. He was a scrub in college and he is a scrub in the NFL. His chance to start is that Smith gets hurt and he's next man up. Stranger things have happened.

If the Jets were starting Simms on Sunday they would be the laughing stock of the NFL.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Smith gets hurt and Simms comes in and plays well, I am going to enjoy the fuck out of Bway's tap dance trying to explain it.

19. mezzavo

OK!!!!! Lot's of "If's" but let me tell you...if that happens and he does. There will be quite a FEW people who will be tap dancing.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Im sure if Simms does light up any first string defense, Brad will give credit where its due. I'd like to think so anyway.