"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

No one in this planet will accept that albatross of a contract the Sanchize has been given. Only idiot on this earth to accept a trade like this would be Tannenbaum and he was fired for being a terrible talent evaluator

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wow, really? You will be cheering that the starting QB went down and that it isn't Rex's decision who goes in? Really? Maybe you need to rethink the name you chose for this site.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think "UltraTard" has been taken yet.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ LMFAO

[​IMG]

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

And I like what he said about Rex and how energetic he is when he's not getting corn-cobbed by the press.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz 1m
    Matt Simms will be the No. 2 QB this week. #nyj

7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

My god, I can't believe this is real.

OT: It's good that Simms is getting his shot at 2. With Smith's gimpy ankle, he's close to getting his shot.

8. abyzmul

Diggin' it.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yeah, am trying it out on a trail basis ..... just added Buffalo Psycho to my buddy list.

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I wanted Simms to get the shot from the start. This way they are setting both Smith and Simms up to fail. Smith not being at all ready and Simms has never had any 1st team reps to get ready.

I'm hoping to see Simms by the 2nd half.

11. abyzmul

Because the fans have no investment in Geno, other than emotional. The Jets paid the guy and invested an entire preseason of 1st and 2nd string snaps in a highly publicized QB competition and would be putting their CS and scouting teams under far more intense scrutiny if they did all of that and then in week one suddenly went to a guy that not only went drafted, spent all of Kat season on the PS, but also is only signed to a futures contract?

Why does draft position matter if a player can do the job well? And who is saying he would be a stopgap?

I'm not down on Smith, but if he has a shitty game this week, get ready for the people who have been screaming his name all offseason to start saying that the ankle is still an issue.

Obviously Smith is getting the start. What do you do if he looks worse than Sanchez did against Tennessee last season?

12. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I agree on the draft position matter, I hope Rex is starting Geno because he truly believes Geno gives them the best shot to win, and not just because he was the 2nd round pick while the other option (Matt Simms) was an undrafted FA so he feels obligated to invest in Geno. I'll lose all faith entirely in Rex if it is somehow revealed that he believed Simms gave them a better shot at winning, but started Geno instead based on draft position.

13. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

My opinion is that this is political until proven otherwise.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This thread once again proves the point that the most popular player In NY sports is far and away whom ever is the third string QB for the Jets.

Long live Brett Ratliff!!!!

:lol:

15. abyzmul

You just bastardized a popular saying to suit your own purposes.

The most popular player on an NFL team is the backup QB.

But since Simms is now the backup QB, the original saying is correct.

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Kurt Warner was a back up in 1999 to Trent Green. Green was seriously injured in the preseason or early in the season (something with his leg) and Warner got the job. Same with Brady. Bledsoe was injured and Brady stepped in. If neither Green or Bledsoe were injured, we may never have heard of Warner or Brady.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets don't have a starter of Green or Bledsoe's ability on the roster. The Jets likely don't have an NFL starter on the roster. There is no need for the Jets to wait for an injury. The Jets unlike the Rams and the Pats don't have to get lucky with an injury because we don't have a starting QB on the roster that needs to get injured to see what we have.

The fact that the Rams and the Pats may never have put their HOF QB's in without an injury is no excuse for the Jets to be locked into sub par QB play.

#497 Biggs, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

where's mo lewis??

19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I wanted to get this up before the season got underway and to reset expectation. I understand that Geno has been given the starting nod and I support him. Completely.

It still doesn't change my feeling that Simms would be the better choice. I sat down and frame by frame went through the Eagles game and identified the defense that Matt Simms shredded. There seems to be a consensus that he played against scrubs. Let me clear that mess up RIGHT now. The following is the defense that Matt Simms SHREDDED:

23 Patrick Chung
    96 Bennie Logan
    50 Casey Matthews
    33 Jordan Poyer
    29 Nate Allen
    77 Damion Square
    54 Jake Knott
    55 Brandon Graham
    90 Clifton Geathers
    95 Vinny Curry
    22 Brandon Boykin

Every single one of them are on the Eagles 53 man roster. Now, the Eagles aren't going to be confused with the 49'ers or Falcons this year but they are by no means bottom of the barrel...sooo...yeah, Matt Simms is quite capable of whuppin' up on NFL level talent and not college rejects. Just sayin'...my eyes tell me one thing...he learned a LOT in that year he rode the pine.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He might be all year too.