How important is this opener?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETSJETSJETS17, Sep 4, 2013.

1. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

Right off the bat, let's throw out the fact that we are playing a mediocre NFC team.

That being said, given all of the bullshit that has transpired the last couple of years and especially this recent onslaught of pure negativity from just about everyone involved in covering the NFL, is this the "biggest" opener that the Jets have had in recent memory?

I consider myself a very optimistic Jet fan and even I would admit that a win wouldn't mean that we're suddenly relevant again, but a win could very well mean that we won't completely tank into oblivion before the season is even a quarter over.

A win would stop the bashing from the media (at least for a week until we get dismantled by the Pats) and it would, above all, give both the players in the locker room and even us, the fan base, a little mental boost.

Let's face it, if the Jets start 0-1, ESPECIALLY this year, we are probably looking at a 3-13 type of season.

The season would have an entirely different feel if the NY Jets are sitting in the locker room at 4:15 next Sunday afternoon, winners and having a little bit of momentum on their side as they invade Foxborough on Thursday, knowing that they could still lose and not be in a insurmountable hole.

They need this win.

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

about 0%. It's the first game of the season.

3. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

The only reason it means a lot is because of our QB situation. The 3 weeks Sanchez is out will define who starts at the rest of the season beginning with how well or how poorly Geno performs, and if performing horribly enough, it may even come down to how well or how poorly Matt Simms plays if he gets thrown in for the second half of week 2 if Geno has 3 INT's week 1 and half way through week 2. Overall, these 3 games may decide if we see Sanchez, Smith, or at the off chance of a really wild curveball (probably not) but you never know, Simms starts for the rest of the season.

4. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

A week 1 win is crucial IMO to give our rookie QB some confidence to start the season

5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

This game is a joke just like our owner, GM, HC and our game 1 starting QB. A miracle would have to happen to win and just maybe that miracle will be Smith playing real bad in the 1st half or falling over his own feet like he did in the preseason.

6. Blue Raven

Blue Raven New Member

Its important to start off well. A lame duck coach cant afford a bad start. Otherwise it will be a disaster as players start to give up on him

7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

If we're going to have even a decent season,
    we desperately need to win this opener. If we
    were to lose to a weak Tampa Bay team, the
    media will be out for blood.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Every game is important.

9. Mr.Green

Mr.Green Banned

Considering who the jets play in week 2, I'd say this is a big game. Just imagine an 0-2 start. This place, the papers, bspn, nfl network etc. Obviously the schedule doesn't get any easier.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It depends on what goal the Jets are trying to accomplish.

From the standpoint of earning a Wildcard spot in the playoffs, the four NFC games are the least important games on the schedule.

If you're trying to win the division, then the NFC games are just more important than the non-common games (for the Jets, they are the Titans and Raiders games) due to the tie breaker rules.

If you're looking to get Geno Smith valuable playing experience and begin the journey of building for the future, then its extremely important that the Jets get him off to a good start where he doesn't begin his career in futility.

If the Jets just want to be competitive and show they shouldn't be discounted, then this is an important game, as is every other game on the schedule.

Bottom line is, the world isn't going to end if the Jets lose this game.

11. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Champ had a son and isn't telling anyone?

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Champ has a son that he's mentioned often.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The problem, is Thursday night. Thats the game that can decide the division.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have not paid that close attention to most of your posts but it strikes me that most are extremely negative, critical with no real facts and overall not appearing to come from anybody that remotely calls himself a Jet fan.

15. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Every game is important.

16. Mr.Green

Mr.Green Banned

Delusional. The jets have absolutely zero shot at this division. Zero. None. I think the jets have won as many division titles as the jags. I'm sorry I know jet fans don't want to hear this but reports about the Patriots demise is greatly overrated. Take 12 off that team and they still have more talent. Its amazing. Listening to some of the people around here one would think the jets just missed the playoffs or are close to being relevant.

17. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I don't understand why you want Geno to fail so badly. I would partially understand it if you are a Sanchez supporter and they were still competing, but the fact is Geno has the job. He's starting on Sunday. You should root for him.

And based on your avatar, it's pretty clear you think he's a bust. Would you seriously rather be right in your assessment than have Geno be a good QB and prove you wrong? I don't get how you can call yourself a Jets fan if that's how you feel.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Bucs are not a medicore team, they are well rounded. A loss won't break anything, hell I think we lose week 1 and go into and New England and beat the Patriots.

19. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

The guy is a troll.

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

In the long run a loss to a NFC team is not as big as a loss to an AFC team. If we are to lose games, id rather have the majority of those losses be off of NFC teams.